Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:35:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New MST3K Kickstarter Campaign

Started by Alberon, April 07, 2021, 10:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

typeforty

Yup. If they get the full $5.5 mil, he does two episodes.

jofo

I just bunged them £10.... watch that graph shoot through the moon now, whoo howdy!

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Alberon on April 13, 2021, 08:56:56 PM
This is exactly the figure the original Kickstarter several years back aimed to raise. To be honest, $5.5 for twelve feature length episodes plus twelve shorts seems quite reasonable.
Yeah, if the intention is for them to make a living directly off this, rather than as a seed to develop something they can then sell to broadcasters and other people. You obviously can make episodes of MST for less but equally it's nice to provide everyone (including the technical crew) with a decent income and not be dependent on uncertain future sales.

Alberon

Reading the updates the plan seems to be to release a new episode every month plus a short (if they hit the target of twelve) and have a couple of other live events in the same time frame. They're hoping it can become a hub where you and your friends would go for watch parties, plus buy old episodes and merchandise. And then they'll see if that and the subscriptions (of I guess $8 or $10 a month) can sustain new episode production as you can't keep running kickstarters for the shortfall.

My personal guess is that they can't, but I'd love to be proved wrong.

Rev+

About 250k off the final goal with a day to go, so they'll be sailing this.  I'm treating it as one more series of MST3K, and maybe a little bit of a follow-on afterwards, because this Gizmoplex business really doesn't sound like it'll work long-term.  They made a mistake in going to Netflix last time, because the Kickstarter proved they had a dedicated audience, which isn't something Netflix gives a shit about.  Even Amazon would have taken that into account and put their own cash into future production, but who knows who they approached.

I'm expecting this to be one more series and done, but hey, it's one more series.

Alberon

Well, they've hit the target (actually $25,000 above it now) with 13 hours to go.

So that's 12 new episodes, presumably five each between the two hosts and two with Joel. There's supposed to be a telethon style end to the Kickstarter, though I don't know if there will be any further goals for the last few hours and there might be an update on production.

typeforty

Quote from: Alberon on May 07, 2021, 02:12:00 PM
Well, they've hit the target (actually $25,000 above it now) with 13 hours to go.

So that's 12 new episodes, presumably five each between the two hosts and two with Joel. There's supposed to be a telethon style end to the Kickstarter, though I don't know if there will be any further goals for the last few hours and there might be an update on production.

Joel has said there'll be an extra backer reward if they can clear $5.8 million (likely) or 49,000 backers (very unlikely) - the amounts achieved by the first campaign - before the window closes.

typeforty

They've passed 5.5 million and are close to 5.8 million... turns out the 5.8 million reward is free 3D glasses (which you have to pay postage for). K. They're talking about doing a Christmas special with Joel, Jonah and Emily - but only if they hit the original Kickstarter's *combined* total of a bit under $6.4 million... Feels like they've got a little greedy in the final hours, though I'm sure they can justify it all.

Alberon

After the initial goal of three episodes plus setup for $2m each three episode chunk cost another $1.1m. So if the passed $6.4m that's at least enough for two further episodes. The telethon hasn't started yet, but so far they've added $350K to the $5.5m.

typeforty

There's only going to be one further episode if they get to $6.4m.

Alberon

Yeah, but it should be enough for at least two.