Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:52:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"Mira Niñita" by Los Jaivas, what a fucking HOOFER of a tune

Started by The Mollusk, April 08, 2021, 10:49:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mollusk

My best friend got me into this song a couple years ago, I think we were stoned, and I immediately clicked with it as one of the biggest most soaring joyous musical releases I had ever heard. Where the fuck's this song been all my life?

HERE IT IS

Los Jaivas are a Chilean band whose music incorporates prog and psych with traditional South American styles, if you didn't know about them already. I've listened to some of their other stuff and it's damn good but I just always feel sucked back into the dizzying thrall of "Mira Niñita".

Until this morning I had loved the song for what I was hearing, but just now I translated the lyrics and can now appreciate the sky-scraping magnificence of the whole thing on another level because of this:

QuoteLook little girl I'm going to take you
To see the moon shining in the sea
Look up to the sky and forget
That languid fear
That was permanent emotion
Ay, it was permanent emotion
For a man's daughter
With glass eyes
And paper sealed on the skin
(x2)

Look up to the sky and forget
That languid fear
That was permanent emotion
Ay, it was permanent emotion
For a man's daughter
With glass eyes
And paper sealed on the skin

Your hair and your honey eyes
But already in your chest they will bloom
Colors of love
Will flourish
Your hair
The tenderness you will have for yourself
For you
Will flourish
Tenderness
But already in your chest they will bloom
Colors of love

Those HUGE VOCALS at the end where the lads are harmonising "THE TENDERNESS YOU WILL HAVE FOR YOURSELF, FOR YOU, WILL FLOURIIISSHHHH. TENDERNEEESSSSS" ... fucking hell!!!

Do yourself a favour and set aside six and a half minutes of your day for this belter, rub it into your soul like a nourishing charcoal shower scrub, shut your eyes and let it fling you off over the mountains and up into the stars. My life irrevocably changed a bit when I first heard it and I'll never forget it.

holyzombiejesus

I liked this, especially when I imagined that the animals on the sleeve were performing on the track. That vulture's shit hot on the piano.

non capisco

Like it a lot, one of those melodies based on a few chords that seems like it's existed for a thousand years before but actually hasn't, proving that there are still great songs to be plucked out of the ether for years to come.

sardines

They had their first album reissued last year and it is getting a regular spin here.

Quite a bit more noodley - lots of recorders - than this track. Includes a credit to "Monks from a remote old world abbey" on bells, which scores points.