Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:13:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Record Store Day 2021

Started by Pauline Walnuts, April 08, 2021, 11:13:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

Need to see prices before I can do a  proper hate read.

Rough Trade have got some prices up. Clicked on one record at random - the Tomb Raider soundtrack. Double coloured vinyl. 'Limited' to 2,500, which isn't particularly limited. £57.99.

Clicked on another. 12 Peel Session/Evening Session tracks by Ash. Single LP on coloured vinyl. £42.99.

Ridiculous.

Sebastian Cobb

I've not looked to deep but did notice there's a  Selecter, The - Live In Coventry '79 release.

Although it looks like most of it has been on expanded cd editions of Too Much Pressure in the past.

Five 7" singles by Elastica. £45.99. Fuck off.

Last year taught me that even the more sought-after stuff ends up being sold for half-price somewhere six months later. There are a couple of things I fancy (Roisin Murphy remix album, SFA's Ice Hockey Hair reissue), but I'll chance them being made available online.

The Mollusk

Love hopping on this every year to say that RSD is fucking piss for cunts, cheers

Pauline Walnuts

Looks like same over priced tat, OMG! t.A.T.u on vinyl! WANT!

sevendaughters

even better the extra 'drops' utterly block up the pressing plants for wee bastard bands like mine, want to punch RSD in the throat, shit for bald cunts with disposable income

Butchers Blind

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on April 08, 2021, 11:37:59 AM
Rough Trade have got some prices up. Clicked on one record at random - the Tomb Raider soundtrack. Double coloured vinyl. 'Limited' to 2,500, which isn't particularly limited. £57.99.

Hahaha... brilliant. Pure S4C.

phantom_power

I am quite interested in the Fontaines DC live album and 23.99 isn't too bad for a limited edition album

Malcy

A few I wouldn't mind getting but only if the price is good.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: The Mollusk on April 08, 2021, 11:49:15 AM
Love hopping on this every year to say that RSD is fucking piss for cunts, cheers

Mostly yes. Although it did bring us Santigold's I Don't Want: The Gold Fire Sessions which I reckon's some of her best work.

holyzombiejesus

No-one interested in the Flaming Lips double on "silver" vinyl for a hundred quid?

Might get the Having a Party With... Jonathan Richman as my pressing feels like a flexi rather than proper LP.

Also, Harold & Maude soundtrack!!!1! My copy is probably the most valuable record in my collection so will be nice to get something I'm not terrified of dropping.

https://www.discogs.com/Cat-Stevens-Harold-And-Maude/master/728229

Any clue if record shops secretly hate it? I imagine your Rough Trades, your Piccadilly Recordses and your Monorails will be fine, but do smaller shops end up with loads of unsold stock that they're not allowed to return?

I imagine cashflow is worse than ever for a lot of these places, so they'll have even less money to buy in some shit by the Bluetones. Or are the margins big enough that if they sell enough of those Ash albums to bald dads then it offsets the losses on the Tomb Raider soundtracks that nobody will buy?

holyzombiejesus

I'm bored of slagging the thing off but it is really fucking awful. I read that one or two places opt out but I don't think there's any groundswell of shops boycotting the thing. There's a tiny little second-hand record shop near me that only stocks about 20 new LPs as it is but they get stuff in and seem quite happy with it, but last time I looked (in that little lockdown gap in Autumn) they still had plenty of overpriced stock left over.

sevendaughters

stuff I would buy were I made of money

RSD1
Brainiac - Attic Tapes / From Dayton Ohio
Oneohtrix Point Never - The Fall Into Time

RSD2
Bee Gees - Three Kisses of Love (might be ropy, but BGs are worth a punt)
Carly Simon - Why
Kling Klang - Esthetik of Destruction

huge lol @
Wu Lyf being re-released as some timeless classic.
Crass releasing something!

SpiderChrist

sweeper

I don't like RSD.

I'm not keen on the idea of getting up early and queueing outside Rough Trade. 

But I'd be lying if I said I didn't want the Dirty Three Ocean Songs boxset. And even though it's overpriced, it's not quite expensive enough to stop me. So I'm having that.

I guarantee that I will play it once.

God, I hate myself.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on April 08, 2021, 11:37:59 AM

Clicked on another. 12 Peel Session/Evening Session tracks by Ash. Single LP on coloured vinyl. £42.99.

Ridiculous.

4 7" singles by Engelbert Humperdinck
https://www.roughtrade.com/gb/engelbert-humperdinck/engelbert-calling-the-boxset

£44.99

The Mollusk

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 08, 2021, 12:45:13 PM
Mostly yes. Although it did bring us Santigold's I Don't Want: The Gold Fire Sessions which I reckon's some of her best work.

Nah mate, all a load of toilet. To buy into even the smallest part of it is to perpetuate its wretched cycle of abuse. If you contribute so much as a flicker of passing enthusiasm towards Record Store Day then you are unequivocally and without doubt a toilet and deserve to be eviscerated.

SteveDave

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on April 08, 2021, 12:57:32 PM
Also, Harold & Maude soundtrack!!!1! My copy is probably the most valuable record in my collection so will be nice to get something I'm not terrified of dropping.

https://www.discogs.com/Cat-Stevens-Harold-And-Maude/master/728229

A friend just sold his copy for stupid money. Good timing.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

20 quid for a 7" of Roy Ayers' Chicago ?! I love that song but jesus...

Sebastian Cobb

Just got a notification to see Asian Dub Foundation are releasing another remix of Comin' Over Here for it.

Fair play they've really got some mileage out of different iterations and special editions of that track.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: The Mollusk on April 08, 2021, 03:56:41 PM
Nah mate, all a load of toilet. To buy into even the smallest part of it is to perpetuate its wretched cycle of abuse. If you contribute so much as a flicker of passing enthusiasm towards Record Store Day then you are unequivocally and without doubt a toilet and deserve to be eviscerated.

Says the man who'll be queueing up overnight for his £100 Flaming Lips album.

Custard

Primal Scream - Dixie Narco EP
Small Faces - Complete Greatest Hits
Super Furry Animals - Ice Hockey Hair EP

all look nice. Especially SFA. But yeah, if it's stupid prices they can get in bin

The Mollusk

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on April 08, 2021, 05:01:25 PM
Says the man who'll be queueing up overnight for his £100 Flaming Lips album.

Hey man have you forgotten our pact or what?

"Whatever gets discussed whilst smoking changa in the cosmic yurt on the dales STAYS in the changa smoke in the cosmic yurt on the dales"?

I feel betrayed.

BlodwynPig

Is this a digital only event?

Pauline Walnuts

We you can choose to turn up or not, so I guess so.

DrGreggles

Pipettes album on polka dot vinyl.