Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:00:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Record Store Day 2021

Started by Pauline Walnuts, April 08, 2021, 11:13:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 09, 2021, 12:00:18 AM
Pipettes album on polka dot vinyl.

Tempting isn't it. I have the CD from when it came out. 6/10 album to be fair, but I'm a sucker for novelty vinyl.

The Mollusk

I laughed at this because I genuinely thought it was a joke.

DrGreggles

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 09, 2021, 08:47:13 AM
Tempting isn't it. I have the CD from when it came out. 6/10 album to be fair, but I'm a sucker for novelty vinyl.

I'd rate it a little higher, as I think it's a great pop album.
Got fond memories of seeing them supporting The Go! Team and being tremendous fun.
Not sure why they weren't more successful (especially Pull Shapes), as I think they had a lot going for them.

Custard

Great little poppy album, I think. Even the much delayed second album with only Gwenno left and her sister drafted in was decent

Pull Shapes should have conquered the universe. What a tune

Bowie live albums seem to be coming out monthly, as if every four weeks was RSD in Bowie fan rip-off land. At what point do the vaults become exhausted?

Custard

And who's buying them all?

I understand being a die-hard and fancying a live record from each period, as obviously they'd be different enough. But beyond that is a bit nutty

Absorb the anus burn

The Friday Spitalfields market record fair is filled to the gunwales with mint unsold RSD releases being flogged for between £5.00 and £20.00.

dr beat

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 09, 2021, 10:49:13 AM
Got fond memories of seeing them supporting The Go! Team and being tremendous fun.
Not sure why they weren't more successful (especially Pull Shapes), as I think they had a lot going for them.

I love that album too, although I've now just realised I haven't put it on for quite a while.  I saw them live when it was released and it was a great gig.

I guess they may have just been pulling in too many musical directions.  I do like what I've heard of Rose Elinor Dougall's solo stuff.

Custard

Gwenno has had some very good solo records. She has a mini album from 2007 called U and I which is lovely stuff

Ugh, that basically means picture disc. At least it's only £22.99.

purlieu

New FSOL album, which will handily get a wider release on CD (and quite possibly a vinyl re-press somewhere down the line, based on the last few), which means they get full points from me again.
I mean they do anyway, but still.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on April 09, 2021, 11:04:02 AM
Bowie live albums seem to be coming out monthly, as if every four weeks was RSD in Bowie fan rip-off land. At what point do the vaults become exhausted?

They had the genius idea of releasing the box that they go into first, letting it sell out rediculisusly fast to create a feeding frenzy, and then restocking it

https://store.davidbowie.com/product/X3AMDB337/brilliant-live-adventures-cd-slip-case-box?cp=99486_101971_108766

Bargin'.

And of course if you've got the box YOU HAVE TO BUY all the live albums, or else you'll have an incomplete collection, and that would just burn wouldn't it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brilliant_Live_Adventures

I wouldn't mind hearing the Earthing tour ones, but I ain't paying that sort of cash for one. But not a bloomin' Festival Greatest Hits version of a live show. Forget that for a game of Soldiers!

BlodwynPig

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 09, 2021, 10:49:13 AM

I might be thinking of the Puppini Sisters. Will have to have another listen.

Panbaams

The first drop has a new Brian Jonestown Massacre single, which I'd like to try to get. Other than that the main appeal of RSD is that the shop I usually go to usually has a half-price sale on its second-hand vinyl.

NattyDread 2

My nearest record shop (Union Vinyl, Inverness, 80 miles away) is having fuck all to do with it. Good on 'em. Load o' wanky pish.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: NattyDread 2 on April 14, 2021, 10:57:30 PM
My nearest record shop (Union Vinyl, Inverness, 80 miles away) is having fuck all to do with it. Good on 'em. Load o' wanky pish.

there is a sort of emptiness about it.

phantom_power

It is a Guardian article of an event

Head Gardener

Quote from: NattyDread 2 on April 14, 2021, 10:57:30 PM

I did a record fair there late last year - only 3 sellers turned up and only a dozen folk through the door all day, was lucky to scrape my stall money back, it was the worst fair I've done in over 30 years

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Head Gardener on April 15, 2021, 09:23:26 AM
I did a record fair there late last year - only 3 sellers turned up and only a dozen folk through the door all day, was lucky to scrape my stall money back, it was the worst fair I've done in over 30 years

The death of the record fair. They were great when I first went to them in the early 90s, but I think that was when they were on the verge of keeling over because by late 1990s there weren't any in Newcastle and you had to travel to Middlesbrough for regular ones. There was a brief resurgence a few years later, at smaller venues (Tynemouth, Northumbria University), but it was like attending a jumble sale in a care home - Neil Sedaka G/G if you were lucky, or perhaps a shit Jethro Tull bootleg album for 50 quid.

phantom_power

I am not sure the record fair is dead. It may be a bit dormant due to that global pandemic the kids are talking about these days

Head Gardener

yes, fairs are not dead, Inverness in November was dead but am sure it'll bounce back - am already booked to do Leighton Buzzard in May, woo!

DrGreggles

Pre-pandemic I used to go to at least one record fair each month, so hopefully they'll return. Otherwise I'll have to find another way to waste invest my money.

Sebastian Cobb

The fairs in Glasgow are pretty good. I was surprised to see they were still going on during covid, didn't go as they seemed too much faff.

kalowski

Quote from: Shameless Custard on April 08, 2021, 05:18:20 PM
Primal Scream - Dixie Narco EP

all look nice.
I'll sell my copy. Hell, I need to since I just spent £80 on a 2nd hand record myself.

Head Gardener

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 15, 2021, 10:21:42 AM
The fairs in Glasgow are pretty good. I was surprised to see they were still going on during covid, didn't go as they seemed too much faff.

the organisers of the Glasgow fair were the same ones who did Inverness, they warned me parking is a nightmare in Glasgow which put me off a bit but would still like to do one this year, I have the stock!

BlodwynPig

Quote from: phantom_power on April 15, 2021, 09:44:32 AM
I am not sure the record fair is dead. It may be a bit dormant due to that global pandemic the kids are talking about these days

I was talking mainly about Newcastle. Glad they are still going on elsewhere

AzureSky

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on April 08, 2021, 12:57:32 PM
No-one interested in the Flaming Lips double on "silver" vinyl for a hundred quid?

Might get the Having a Party With... Jonathan Richman as my pressing feels like a flexi rather than proper LP.

Also, Harold & Maude soundtrack!!!1! My copy is probably the most valuable record in my collection so will be nice to get something I'm not terrified of dropping.

https://www.discogs.com/Cat-Stevens-Harold-And-Maude/master/728229

£34.99 here https://www.roughtrade.com/gb/the-flaming-lips/the-soft-bulletin-companion

Pauline Walnuts

It's Bandcamp Friday, again. The 12 times a year Record Store Day for the kool kids

BlodwynPig

I heard it's the last one (again).

Too much reliance on reissues this time around, but still nabbed 60 dollars worth of joy.

purlieu

Bandcamp Friday bugs me, mostly because it was created to help musicians who are out of pocket because they can't tour, and now loads of artists who aren't affected by the pandemic are actually making releases just to put out on Bandcamp Friday to get some extras dosh, while everyone else is saving their releases for the day as well, meaning I end up like this morning, with 25 emails in my inbox, and no way of affording the numerous limited edition releases that are coming out at the same time. Nice idea, but it's all become a pain in the arse now.