Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:15:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Record Store Day 2021

Started by Pauline Walnuts, April 08, 2021, 11:13:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pauline Walnuts

I couldn't make it this time as my phone told me I had to self isolate, cuz of the Covids.

I only kinda wanted the T.A.T.u one, and it's sold out everywhere. F*ck my life.

I've just checked, It's over an hour waiting time to get onto Rough Trade's on line store!

Sebastian Cobb

I forgot all about it but heard it get mentioned on 6music.

Seems like a lot of other people might've too based on this from a local shop:
QuoteI can tell you now, we've got stock of a lot of things yous are after.

https://monorailmusic.com

Online at 6pm. We'll be about to take queries and break hearts for an hour or so after that.

#RSD2021

https://twitter.com/Monorail_Music/status/1403754189231169540

I couldn't see much I was after. I notice that The Incredible Bongo Band's Bongo Rock was going for £26! I bought that on discogs a year or two ago and it wasn't very hard to find, and cost a fraction of that.

Rizla

Fair play to to the former Scottish Labour leader, he seems to have impeccable taste in fuzzy garage rock. 
https://twitter.com/LabourRichard/status/1403735742090731523

Pauline Walnuts

Fàshiön Music's first album, on nice green vinyl, single LP

https://townsendmusic.store/product/82083
£38.00

I think that one will be hanging around for a bit.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 07, 2021, 09:18:51 AM
I heard it's the last one (again)

The Trunk Records mail out said that labels are already lining up their releases for the 2022 one.

I went to Leeds today and the 3 record shops I went in/ passed by were all completely empty. I wasn't even going to bother with record shops as RSD actually deters me from visiting them but I'd seen a tweet from Piccadilly Records in Manchester showing a deserted shop so I guess this year's is, predictably, a bit of a shit show.

kalowski

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on June 12, 2021, 08:30:49 PM
The Trunk Records mail out said that labels are already lining up their releases for the 2022 one.

I went to Leeds today and the 3 record shops I went in/ passed by were all completely empty. I wasn't even going to bother with record shops as RSD actually deters me from visiting them but I'd seen a tweet from Piccadilly Records in Manchester showing a deserted shop so I guess this year's is, predictably, a bit of a shit show.
If course. It's a bit of nonsense.
I love a bit of vinyl but I don't just want to own any old vinyl.
The Beauty Process--Triple Platinum by L7 for £31, anyone?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: kalowski on June 12, 2021, 09:08:54 PM
If course. It's a bit of nonsense.
I love a bit of vinyl but I don't just want to own any old vinyl.
The Beauty Process--Triple Platinum by L7 for £31, anyone?

Not their best album.

Shame I missed this - and was in town early for my vaccine so could have been there for shop opening. I noticed an old fellow with a bag of vinyl on the bus and it still didn't click. Ah well, plenty of bandcamp vinyl just dropped through the door : Mater Suspiria Vision - 666, Vaperror - Acid Arcadia and a Twink signed release of Pink Fairies Never Never Land (65 quid!).

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 15, 2021, 09:43:41 AM
The death of the record fair. They were great when I first went to them in the early 90s, but I think that was when they were on the verge of keeling over because by late 1990s there weren't any in Newcastle and you had to travel to Middlesbrough for regular ones.

Town Hall Crypt? I used to go there in the early 90s. I never knew about bootlegs before then.

Picked up a cassette of Nirvana's MTV Unplugged before it was release, some Yes live and Orb live and unofficial compilations. Good times.

Wonder if this is the beginning of the end? Sounds like most shops were pretty quiet come the afternoon, and nearly everything seems to be still be available online somewhere. Some of the smaller shops who don't participate are being a bit more openly hostile about the whole thing too. Bring it on!

The Mollusk

It would be of no personal impact to my life if RSD ceased to exist but I do still think it's a load of wank and so as an embittered prick I would be happy if it died off.

The fuckin state of this alternative album art reissue of Gibbs/Madlib's "Piñata":

No reason whatsoever for this to exist, and it's one of THREE OTHER alternative sleeve designs for RSD. Nice one, you've managed to cheapen the aesthetic of one of the best hip hop albums ever made in three different ways. The art is total garbage. That's meant to be "84" in the above image by the way. No chance in fuck does that look like a number 4 as opposed to a 1.

Honestly can't stand this pish.

holyzombiejesus

Nice to see Charlie Chuck getting a nice lie down though.

Sebastian Cobb

Looks like a GTA Vice City copycat but with the gaudiness dialled up.

phantom_power

I think part of RSD is people wanting to part of some communal event. I went to our semi-local record shop at about 8.30 on Sunday because my son is just getting interested in buying records and wanted to see what it was all about. There was already a pretty big queue and people had been lining up since 3 in the morning. By the time we got in the queue had completely gone so there was no real point in camping out but I think they just liked to be part of an "event" and queueing up early added to that feeling.

Harmless fun really

holyzombiejesus

It's not that harmless when it's fucking up production times for smaller labels, and smaller shops are forced to agree to RSD's shitty terms if they are to be allowed to join in. Not a massive issue in the whole scheme of things but it's a pretty shitty event unless you're one of the bigger shops or a record label that wants to charge nearly £20 for a 7" single.

Custard

Ended up just missing it, and buying the Furries' Ice Hockey Hair EP off a website for the same price. Saved the hour of queuing with other sweaty bores with tote bags

The Mollusk

Quote from: phantom_power on June 14, 2021, 03:53:14 PM
I think part of RSD is people wanting to part of some communal event. I went to our semi-local record shop at about 8.30 on Sunday because my son is just getting interested in buying records and wanted to see what it was all about. There was already a pretty big queue and people had been lining up since 3 in the morning. By the time we got in the queue had completely gone so there was no real point in camping out but I think they just liked to be part of an "event" and queueing up early added to that feeling.

Harmless fun really

Mugs.

phantom_power

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on June 14, 2021, 04:19:51 PM
It's not that harmless when it's fucking up production times for smaller labels, and smaller shops are forced to agree to RSD's shitty terms if they are to be allowed to join in. Not a massive issue in the whole scheme of things but it's a pretty shitty event unless you're one of the bigger shops or a record label that wants to charge nearly £20 for a 7" single.

The record shop I was in is a small local shop and they loved it. Got loads more custom than they would normally and sold a load of non-RSD stuff to boot

phantom_power

Quote from: The Mollusk on June 14, 2021, 06:01:08 PM
Mugs.

No, they had coffee in disposable cups and some local beer in cans

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on June 14, 2021, 04:19:51 PM
It's not that harmless when it's fucking up production times for smaller labels, and smaller shops are forced to agree to RSD's shitty terms if they are to be allowed to join in.

What are the terms? Because I was wondering if some small shop could just cherry pick 3 or 4 items they know their usual customers would buy without leaving them with stacks of tat or is there a minimum buy-in so to speak?

holyzombiejesus

Cash up front, no sale or return. Presume the smaller shops are way down the pecking order when it comes to stock allocation too. Heard on more than one occasion that the day doesn't actually impact on their quarterly sales that much as before and after RSD the shops are really quiet. Seems like a lot of shops are lumbered with unsold Ed Sheeran picture discs and Republica 'coloured vinyls' this year. Kind of feel sorry for them but then again, why are they buying in Republica albums? If your business plan relies on you flogging ridiculously over-priced shit then maybe you need to have a think. Eurgh, the whole fucking thing stinks.

EDIT: Dinked can go fuck themselves (and their obis and custom Dinked sticker) too.

chveik

urgh that Pinata cover is dreadful.

Pauline Walnuts

Second ones 2day, I can't make it as I pulled* last night and I can barely walk now.

Quite fancied the Sisters of Mercy Peel sessions one. Oh well.

*a muscle in my back.

sardines

Usually avoid stores on RSD but went out for a Bill Fay reissue (the original is highly collectable so christ knows why they tossed off a reissue with no press for rsd). Also picked up a roky erickson tribute album and another Josephine Foster vinyl reissue as I'm pretty sure I'm the only one buying them at this point.
This year appears to have the combined problems of pressing shortages and postal delays, at least here in Europe.
A lot of people I don't usually see in the store acting privileged and pissed off. I'd probably tell them to do one but I suppose that's why I don't work in commerce.

kalowski

Went into my local shop at 10.30 today (to pre-order the Rings Around the World release), no queues and only two other people in so I guess the RSD stuff wnet quickly!

Pauline Walnuts

Live video from a record store!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WckAM3KM8ps

Starting soonish, which dosn't seem to make much sense, but there you go. Wonder if there'll be a fight over the Reggae Remix of a Bob Dylan single?

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on July 17, 2021, 01:32:56 PM

Quite fancied the Sisters of Mercy Peel sessions one. Oh well.

£44.99

How about, No?

Sebastian Cobb

lol that's taking the piss

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Record Shop Day is a monthly thing now?

BlodwynPig

I was in town at 7 this morning, nominally to meet ImitationLeather for breakfast (NO SHOW!!), so popped on the end of a shortish queue at one of the 3 new records stores that seem to have popped up near Newcastle central station. Got Tangerine Dream's The Keep soundtrack (first time on vinyl!) and Possum soundtrack plus The Pipettes and Hawkwind releases (superfluous purchases really).