Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 07:56:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mad Lads in NI

Started by Blumf, April 08, 2021, 04:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blumf

Been reports of stuff kicking off in Northern Ireland for a couple of weeks now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-56664868
QuoteIn recent days 10 people have been arrested as a result of rioting by gangs of people, some as young as 13.

Is this just usual low level sectarian fisticuffs multiplied by lock down fatigue, or is it something deeper?

bgmnts

From what I know there have been certain issues in Northern Ireland in the past as well.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

This has to do with Brexit and a de facto sea border between NI and mainland UK.

I want to know where the parents of the 13 year olds were, that they didn't realise their kids were out doing this shit.

Enzo

Quote from: Blumf on April 08, 2021, 04:59:27 PM
Been reports of stuff kicking off in Northern Ireland for a couple of weeks now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-56664868
Is this just usual low level sectarian fisticuffs multiplied by lock down fatigue, or is it something deeper?

As always with NI there are a couple of things at play. One thing that won't be reported is that PSNI recently cracked down on Loyalist drug gangs. The gangs are directing their revenge on the police under the cover of the big Sinn Fein funeral during lockdown last year and the mythical sea border brought on by brexit.

Unionist politicians have been whipping up hysteria over this funeral for their own political capital and to distract from their own fuck ups over Brexit. Having DUP politicians say that they will fight the customs border with "guerilla warfare" certainly won't help either

imitationleather

I reckon both sides should sit down together and share a bong.

Enzo

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on April 08, 2021, 06:12:39 PM
This has to do with Brexit and a de facto sea border between NI and mainland UK.

I want to know where the parents of the 13 year olds were, that they didn't realise their kids were out doing this shit.

Out clapping them on https://twitter.com/iAmConorMc/status/1379880100695539718

BlodwynPig

Quote from: imitationleather on April 08, 2021, 06:15:19 PM
I reckon both sides should sit down together and share a bong.

Rasta Blair moseys back into town.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

An tSaoi

Quote from: Enzo on April 08, 2021, 06:14:22 PM
As always with NI there are a couple of things at play. One thing that won't be reported is that PSNI recently cracked down on Loyalist drug gangs. The gangs are directing their revenge on the police under the cover of the big Sinn Fein funeral during lockdown last year and the mythical sea border brought on by brexit

Word on the street is that the sea border is far from mythical, and has actually caused big problems for NI drugs gangs trying to import from Britain. The other word on the street is that the loyalists have had to grit their teeth and buy some gear from the republicans (who are importing from the republic) in order to keep their businesses afloat. No idea if any of this is true, but that's what they're saying.

Sebastian Cobb

Seen a few people who aren't brexiteers complaining about 'melts linking it all to brexit' but couldn't figure out through the noise what else was causing it tbh.

Butchers Blind

Bring back the corpse of Mo Mowlam.

Enzo

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Unionist politicians have been whipping up hysteria over this funeral for their own political capital and to distract from their own fuck ups over Brexit. Having DUP politicians say that they will fight the customs border with "guerilla warfare" certainly won't help either

Look at the figures involved in that cunt party. Whether it's the mob bosses or church grandees, they're small time thugs that all share the same expression of snarling, barely concealed violence.

Everyone has good reason to be pissed the fuck off with the UK government but there's something in NI's inability to solve its own problems that makes it extra tragic that they'll always be reliant on the British state as mediators because the DUP hasn't reformed and can't be trusted as far as it can be thrown.

Cuntbeaks

Peace Gates, where people get locked apart at night?

What the actual fuck. Is Northern Ireland still rocking the Medieval vibe? Absolute mutants.

An tSaoi

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on April 08, 2021, 07:59:05 PM
Peace Gates, where people get locked apart at night?

What would you prefer? War gates?

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: An tSaoi on April 08, 2021, 08:05:25 PM
What would you prefer? War gates?

I just think the idea of a UK city needing a gate, of any name, to keep people apart is ludicrous and embarrassing.

bgmnts

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on April 08, 2021, 08:32:05 PM
I just think the idea of a UK city needing a gate, of any name, to keep people apart is ludicrous and embarrassing.

How do they separate Rangers and Celtic fans in Glasgow?

El Unicornio, mang

It's ludicrous and embarrassing at football matches too, to be fair.

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on April 08, 2021, 08:36:19 PM
It's ludicrous and embarrassing at football matches too, to be fair.

Couldn't agree more. Living in Glasgow, I'm exposed to the worst sectarianism that mainland UK has to offer. It's pathetic to behold, but at least people don't live in the shadow of a gate that has to be closed at night to stop them from killing each other.

Not yet anyway.

AllisonSays

I'm more surprised there aren't riots everywhere. Growing up in a sink estate in the part of the UK with the most millionaires per capita (Northern Ireland) is probably pretty enervating.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: bgmnts on April 08, 2021, 08:33:05 PM
How do they separate Rangers and Celtic fans in Glasgow?

Distillation

Magnum Valentino

My auld boy reckons it has something to do with certain privileges enjoyed by that side of the community being steadily eroded (in the name of equality, mind) over the past few decades to the extent that they're now having a pop at what was once once considered "their" police force for essentially turning their backs and not condemning Sinn Fein (as, to be fair, should have transpired).

To be reductive about it, which again is somewhat fair, it can be at least partially explained by a dismissive "any excuse" and an eye roll.

The hate's in our bones and we're fucked forever, looks like.

gilbertharding

The biggest shame, for me, is to hear Pan's People supremo Arlene Phillips making such inflammatory statements about the whole thing.

As always with NI there are a couple of things at play. One thing that won't be reported is that PSNI recently cracked down on Loyalist drug gangs. The gangs are directing their revenge on the police under the cover of the big Sinn Fein funeral during lockdown last year and the mythical sea border brought on by brexit.

Interesting stuff, I've heard others talking about the drugs gangs being part of this.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Mrs Wogans lemon drizzle on April 08, 2021, 10:11:05 PM
Interesting stuff, I've heard others talking about the drugs gangs being part of this.

Snitch

SOMK

https://www.sundayworld.com/news/northern-ireland-news/psni-seize-12m-worth-of-suspected-drugs-in-largest-ever-haul-in-northern-ireland-40262684.html

Biggest haul ever, meanwhile Unionists parties have been stirring up ire over the lack of a prosecution over the funeral of Bobby Storey attended by Sinn Féin people, Arlene Foster calling them "the real law breakers"

https://twitter.com/DUPleader/status/1379885970103877634

https://twitter.com/Ciara87C/status/1380206423737520128

This is worth reading even if it's a few years old https://www.jacobinmag.com/2016/04/bernadette-devlin-interview-derry-civil-rights-troubles-good-friday

Quote"How should we understand "loyalism"? What are its characteristics? What is it out to achieve in the twenty-first century?

BDM
Loyalism is clearly differentiated in the North from Unionism. Unionists are middle class; they believe that their interests are best served by maintaining the current situation, British control of this part of the island. They're like Falkland Islanders, in that sense.

Loyalism's hallmark is that it represents the poor. Loyalists are working class or unemployed. As the American system disgracefully refers to some of its poorest people as "white trash," loyalists are perceived within British nationalism as an underclass.

Many from loyalist communities have internalized that themselves. When I work with people from that background I'm often surprised that they will set on the table first, "Okay, so, we know we are no good." I have talked to young loyalists who say, "We know we are scum."

I don't understand any human being starting a conversation saying that they are not human. I ask them why they start that way. There is a clear lack of self-esteem and also a loss of confidence.

If you think about the "dissidence" in poor nationalist communities among people who gained nothing from the struggle despite giving so much, the sense in the loyalist community is that they actually lost. They lost to everybody despite unwavering loyalty to the regime, even to those who challenged it by force. The anger in loyalist communities is fueled by them still not having the price of a loaf and seeing Martin McGuinness up running the country.

Loyalists are acutely aware of the swaggering new rich on the Catholic side. You saw this during the recent flag protests here, where the first response was to mock the way loyalist people said the word "fleg." The attitude among some was, "You can't even spell it or say it right, but I am inside City Hall looking out at you."

This is why I have always believed that this whole process is further sectarianizing the North. The infrastructure of the peace was sectarian itself and continues to reproduce the problem. The result of that is that, while there is some competition between Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump in the United States for poor whites, or between Jeremy Corbyn and the UK Independence Party in Britain, the loyalist community is stuck without such an avenue."

There's no one reason behind it (other than the obvious/reductive one about British imperialism), but attitudes like those expressed up thread about people being "mutants" certainly play their part, demonstrating misanthropic ignorance that are the hallmark of decisions like Brexit and a total lack of willingness to understand what could/is happening (I remember the live after show on channel 4 first screened of Jimmy McGovern's 'Bloody Sunday' where the British audience members refused to believe it was factually based) and why 25 years into the peace process you still get sectarian rioting.

Like a great deal of formerly industrial Britain, it has been left to rot only with the added jouissance of the legacy of an appetite sub-polity. https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/books/defining-the-sub-polity-that-is-northern-ireland-1.4517000

idunnosomename

why aren't there loads of coppers kettling these little cunts paid by unionists to chuck molotov cocktails on buses? i mean genuinely. it's like herp de derp throw petrol bomb at car o well. whereas in bristol and south london anyone with a slightly incendiary sign gets manhandled to the floor

Quote from: idunnosomename on April 08, 2021, 11:28:32 PM
why aren't there loads of coppers kettling these little cunts paid by unionists to chuck molotov cocktails on buses? i mean genuinely. it's like herp de derp throw petrol bomb at car o well. whereas in bristol and south london anyone with a slightly incendiary sign gets manhandled to the floor

Well, Bristol, for example, doesn't have a history of sectarian violence or a fairly recent quarter-century long civil war, does it? I would imagine it's because would be much more likely to escalate wildly out of control if they did that, plus the history of RUC brutality in the past.

JamesTC

Lt Commander Data said they would all be okay in 2024 and he is usually right.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on April 08, 2021, 11:36:59 PM
Well, Bristol, for example, doesn't have a history of sectarian violence or a fairly recent quarter-century long civil war, does it? I would imagine it's because would be much more likely to escalate wildly out of control if they did that, plus the history of RUC brutality in the past.
true. poor cunt driving the bus i feel bad for (apparently they were ok but also could've easily died)

basically nine centuries of brutal english imperialism. i cant imagine feeling proud of this shit