Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:37:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Windows 10. Nah mate.

Started by Neomod, April 08, 2021, 05:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neomod

I just bought a second hand desktop which came with windows 10 pro and installed a new hard disk on another laptop with Windows 8.1.

Both have similar sized SSD's and Windows 8 seems much faster despite the processor being half the speed of the Win 10 machine. I even got rid of a load of shite like Cortana on Win 10 thinking that might make a difference but I still get that stupid blue circle now and then even when all I'm doing is browsing the web[nb]not exactly processor heavy[/nb]. Hard disk is healthy so I don't think it's that.

Having had no experience of Windows 10 previously is this par for the course?

Would I be better off getting a copy of Windows 8.1?

And also my Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse is laggy as fuck.

Zetetic

Not really, no.

Did you Reset the desktop choosing "Remove everything" when you got it?

What version of Windows 10?

Is Task Manager showing anything with high CPU usage, even if it's just "System interrupts"?

Neomod

Cheers Zetetic, I've just checked and it's got an HDD not an SSD. The disk is at 100% for a bit when it starts up.

Windows is version 20H2.

Therefore I'd like to change the Hard disk for an SSD. I read somewhere that your Windows activation is set in the hardware of the pc now and no key is necessary. Is that true?

Also I installed windows 8.1 from a usb. Is it the same process for windows 10?

Malcy

Quote from: Neomod on April 09, 2021, 08:51:22 PM
I read somewhere that your Windows activation is set in the hardware of the pc now and no key is necessary. Is that true?

Also I installed windows 8.1 from a usb. Is it the same process for windows 10?

I done it recently using this guide

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reinstalling-win-10-on-new-hard-disk-drive/6130e6a2-59cd-4448-8f86-774cb312e1b9?auth=1

I made the Windows Installer and put it on a USB. Had a couple of issues trying to create it originally seemingly down to using the USB 3.0 input on my laptop so use a normal 2.0. No key required.

El Unicornio, mang

I've cloned OS drives a couple of times using Macrium Reflect (free software)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LClr3FPg4_4&ab_channel=Macrium

If you're not arsed about keeping stuff though, always best to just do fresh from a USB as mentioned above. SSD a must these days, don't think I could go back to OS on HDD.

RenegadeScrew

What are you going to use the computer for?

Windows 10 is bloated to fuck, and Windows 8 is the worst ever.  Where's my start menu?!

DrGreggles

Win 10 is SO MUCH BETTER than 8/8.1

Who's the PC manufacturer?

Sebastian Cobb

Is windows 10 markedly different to 8/8.1 or are they just shell changes because nobody liked windows 8? I thought it was the latter really.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 11, 2021, 02:30:27 PM
Is windows 10 markedly different to 8/8.1 or are they just shell changes because nobody liked windows 8? I thought it was the latter really.

It seems like the latter to me. At work the admins did something to remove that godawful tiled start page in Windows 8, but they upgraded us to Windows 10 without me noticing that anything had changed.

olliebean

I think it depends what you're coming from. I kept falling back to XP for many years, because I wasn't keen on the changes in 7 and 8 was a disaster. Going directly from XP to 10 was a much easier transition than from XP to 7 or 8, and I imagine than from 7 or 8 to 10.

Neomod

Quote from: RenegadeScrew on April 11, 2021, 01:29:05 PM
What are you going to use the computer for?

Windows 10 is bloated to fuck, and Windows 8 is the worst ever.  Where's my start menu?!

Mainly visual (photoshop, lightroom, illustrator, video editing) and audio (FL Studio) but I will be buying Eurotruck once I get a graphics card.

Yeah, I went through disabling loads of stuff. This is the first time using both 8.1/10 as I had held out on my laptop with Windows 7. I've made both look as much like 7 as possible an all.

Quote from: Malcy on April 10, 2021, 02:58:59 PM
I done it recently using this guide

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reinstalling-win-10-on-new-hard-disk-drive/6130e6a2-59cd-4448-8f86-774cb312e1b9?auth=1

I made the Windows Installer and put it on a USB. Had a couple of issues trying to create it originally seemingly down to using the USB 3.0 input on my laptop so use a normal 2.0. No key required.

Thanks, I think I will install afresh.

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 11, 2021, 01:43:15 PM
Win 10 is SO MUCH BETTER than 8/8.1

Who's the PC manufacturer?

It's a Dell

RenegadeScrew

Quote from: Neomod on April 11, 2021, 05:51:42 PM
Mainly visual (photoshop, lightroom, illustrator, video editing) and audio (FL Studio) but I will be buying Eurotruck once I get a graphics card.

Yeah, I went through disabling loads of stuff. This is the first time using both 8.1/10 as I had held out on my laptop with Windows 7. I've made both look as much like 7 as possible an all.

I was going to recommend Linux (new Linux cunt alert) but either way it's maybe worth looking into running a Win7 machine offline for all those arduous tasks.  I have a Windows laptop (running 7) for Ableton that doesn't go online.  Obviously this only works if the apps you need will run on Win7.

I've only recently upgraded my music PC to Win7 from Vista!! I've never ran into problems myself with audio plugins/etc, but I don't know about image/video editing.

Neomod

Quote from: RenegadeScrew on April 12, 2021, 01:39:40 PM
I've only recently upgraded my music PC to Win7 from Vista!! I've never ran into problems myself with audio plugins/etc, but I don't know about image/video editing.

I'll be fixing my windows 7 laptop in due course but the processor is fairly old and so it was about time for something new.

Anyway I'm downloading the windows 10 on to a usb but it hasn't asked for which version of windows 10 I want to reinstall (It's Pro). Will it clarify this later on when Install it?

RenegadeScrew

Quote from: Neomod on April 12, 2021, 06:56:48 PM
I'll be fixing my windows 7 laptop in due course but the processor is fairly old and so it was about time for something new.

Anyway I'm downloading the windows 10 on to a usb but it hasn't asked for which version of windows 10 I want to reinstall (It's Pro). Will it clarify this later on when Install it?

You'd want Win7 on your best machine if you were using it in the way I meant.

I'm not really sure as I always got Windows in other ways, but see the second answer here - https://superuser.com/questions/1004242/are-the-installation-media-for-windows-10-home-and-professional-different

If you are updating a PC from 8 I think it'll be taking it from the existing OS/bios.

RenegadeScrew

If you look up you'll find a few ways you can debloat Win10, although I am not sure it is as successful as the tiny version of Win7 where the iso is <700mb.  For example - https://christitus.com/debloat-windows-10-2020/

You'll probably be able to find a tool with options on Major Geeks or something similar.  BlackViper's scripts if they exist for Win10 might be handy too.

servese43

I think there's also windows 10 LTSC/LTSB, which is basically a version of windows 10 for business that basically doesn't do stuff like forcing the installation of cortana and candy crush or locking up your computer for 2 hours in an unsuccessful attempt to update itself. You can't officially buy it as an individual customer, but I believe it is possible to pirate it you want it (bit dodgy but it'll probably be fine as long as you're careful.) I'd probably just use Tiny7 though.

canadagoose

I don't know how any of you can be arsed with 7 nowadays with all the updates it requires if you're installing from scratch. Rollup patches then WSUS Offline is useful for getting them sorted, but it's still a nuisance.

RenegadeScrew

Quote from: canadagoose on April 25, 2021, 10:38:35 PM
I don't know how any of you can be arsed with 7 nowadays with all the updates it requires if you're installing from scratch. Rollup patches then WSUS Offline is useful for getting them sorted, but it's still a nuisance.

True, but if you are using it as an offline machine, then you don't really need updates unless you need them to make programs work.  Still a potential nightmare, but once you are done it's far better than 10.

Zetetic

pigamus

The new update/version of Windows 10 seems to use less disk space. Don't know what it's called but it makes the taskbar/start menu go kind of whitish grey rather than black? It's even left me some disk space on my laptop with very little disk space, which I'm surprised about.

Replies From View

what's the tits with there being no windows 9?

same thing happened with iphones, red dwarf and everything in that category.  is there a phobia about using the number 9 like some streets skip the number 13?

RenegadeScrew

They've never even made their mind up about the naming convention.  Windows 1, 2, 3, then 95, 98, then XP and Vista, then 7,8 & 10.

I suppose 95 is 4, 98 is 5, XP is 6, and so Vista must be 9.

Sebastian Cobb

So what number is Windows ME then?

JaDanketies

Quote from: Neomod on April 11, 2021, 05:51:42 PM
It's a Dell

Hello from the other side, I must've called a thousand times, To tell you I'm sorry for everything that I've done, But when I call, you never seem to be home

RenegadeScrew

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 26, 2021, 07:46:42 PM

I suppose ME must be either 0 or 11.  Did anyone use it?

pigamus

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 26, 2021, 07:46:42 PM

Well it would tell you but it can't get out of bed

Neomod

Quote from: canadagoose on April 25, 2021, 10:38:35 PM

I was still using Windows 7 up until recently and had turned off updates a while ago as I had one of those processors that slowed to a crawl due to that notorious security update.

Quote from: pigamus on April 26, 2021, 07:29:25 PM
The new update/version of Windows 10 seems to use less disk space. Don't know what it's called but it makes the taskbar/start menu go kind of whitish grey rather than black? It's even left me some disk space on my laptop with very little disk space, which I'm surprised about.

I've got this but also used this vid to remove the bloat/telemetry stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgW7iXejfqQ

olliebean

Quote from: pigamus on April 26, 2021, 07:29:25 PM

Don't know what that is. Mine is telling me I'm fully up to date but the taskbar/start menu is still black. Doesn't it depend what accent colour you pick in the settings?

pigamus

It's 20H2 I think

EDIT: if you got to search, type settings, then system, about, it'll tell you which version you've got - if it's 1919 it'll start badgering you for 20H2 at some point - telling you it's end of life - it did me anyway

olliebean

Quote from: pigamus on April 26, 2021, 09:03:06 PM
It's 20H2 I think

EDIT: if you got to search, type settings, then system, about, it'll tell you which version you've got - if it's 1919 it'll start badgering you for 20H2 at some point - telling you it's end of life - it did me anyway

20H2 is what I've got, but it hasn't changed its appearance for me at all. Are you sure you haven't installed a preview version of 21H2? I've seen pictures of that where the taskbar and start menu are greyish white.