Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,338
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:59:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Terrible news

Started by Chedney Honks, April 08, 2021, 07:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oz Oz Alice

Quote from: Morrissey pre-cancellation on April 12, 2021, 09:45:18 AM
A bastard in the bush
Is worth a cunt in the hand
I think I can help you get through your exams

Chedney Honks

QuoteThe ink is black
The page is white
Together we learn
To read and write
To read and write

We all have our flaws and we must all coexist on this planet we call home or kill each other.

jobotic

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on April 12, 2021, 09:49:40 AM
You mean like Eddie was doing in this thread?

And came into this thread specifically to do. But if anyone argues back or defends themselves it's a bullying pile-on.

Buelligan

Quote from: Phil_A on April 12, 2021, 08:59:59 AM
I feel like there's been a really nasty, aggressively intolerant vibe on here of late. The fact it comes from people like Barry who set the tone of debate on here is quite upsetting, to be honest.

Dear Ed might be a bit forthright in the way he puts his arguments across but he's not a bad chap on the whole, but the reaction he gets on here verges on bullying at times. I have to ask myself if I want to be part of a community that gets off on belittling people who aren't part of the groupthink, especially if that person is particularly vulnerable.

I feel like for certain people on here when they spot a divergent point of view the immediate reaction is "AH HA! GET IN LADS" without being willing to consider there may be a real person on the other end of that abuse who's really struggling with their own shit. I know it's the way things are now in our horrible society, but I'd hope people on here at least could be a bit more empathetic and recognising of the fact that the bits of people we see on here is rarely the whole person.

Ask yourself how you can argue for tempering the wind to the shorn lamb and then single out anyone that you don't know the whole story of.

JaDanketies

I suppose I don't think highlighting arguments made against a certain thread and suggesting that the same arguments can apply to this thread as saying 'you're wrong because you're a hypocrite'.

So I suppose the argument was that St Eddie momentarily relished in violence against a yankee Trump insurrectionist but condemns relishing in violence in this topic, so what's the difference, which is a fair argument. Kinda felt he was being called a misogynist based on something he said in January though? Maybe I need to read the thread a bit more closely.

Chedney Honks

If we don't believe that people can change what's the point?

Sebastian Cobb

People can definitely change. This man here went from 'unstabbed' to 'stabbed'.

Kankurette

I'm more upset about Nikki Grahame.

Paul Calf

What we've learned from this thread:

Punk is definitely dead, and its corpse has been mummified in beige bandages and is currently on display in the British Museum.

wooders1978

Quote from: Kankurette on April 12, 2021, 10:12:43 AM
I'm more upset about Nikki Grahame.

Understandable, you knew who she was, this guy is just some random to you, you can't care about every death!

This guy owns quite a few hotels in my home town and has created a lot of jobs in the area by buying failing businesses and turning them round, keeping people employed when they would have probably lost their jobs otherwise - yeah he was rich, so what, the poor cunt got stabbed to death - imagine someone coming into your house at night and stabbing you to death - fek *that*

madhair60

Edit: nah.

Ferris

Quote from: Chedney Honks on April 12, 2021, 09:40:03 AM
Probably only two or three good people on the whole site. Off the top of my head, Glebe is the only one I can think of who isn't demonstrably a cunt in some way. Ferris is second. I'd say poo is third. Literally can't think of any more, but we still all do OK.

Can't tell if you are taking the piss, but appreciate it anyway.

I do try to post positively and if I'm having a pop at some figure of fun I try to be thoughtful about what I'm saying and why I'm saying it.

I also try to avoid the argument threads because I like basically everyone on here in their own way and it makes me sad when everyone has a falling out. I'm also incredibly conflict-averse; I think my previous career has genuinely done some psychological damage on that front.

Anyway, hope everyone is alright. It's the season to start gardening, come over to the gardening thread. We got chives.

Buelligan

I don't think he was taking the piss with the Glebe bit.  And you're all right, spose.

gib

Chedney Honks

I was being sincere, yep. Great guys.

Ferris

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: JaDanketies on April 12, 2021, 09:42:20 AM
tbh even calling out hypocrisy is an ad hominem argument. And the only people who aren't hypocrites are those without values. Calling your detractors hypocrites might feel good but it doesn't refute their points.

Sorry I'm struggling with this idea so walk me through it;

I'm anti-sea world and in a thread about it I lambast several posters about their alleged support of sea worlds disregard for imprisoned aquatic life

A month later I tell everyone a heart warming story about how I went to sea world, battered a sea lion and anyone that is anti sea-world is a stain on society.

You are suggesting that would have no bearings on anything and anyone bringing it up the previous thread would be wrong to do so?!

JaDanketies

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on April 12, 2021, 02:13:11 PM

Sorry I'm struggling with this idea so walk me through it;

I'm anti-sea world and in a thread about it I lambast several posters about their alleged support of sea worlds disregard for imprisoned aquatic life

A month later I tell everyone a heart warming story about how I went to sea world, battered a sea lion and anyone that is anti sea-world is a stain on society.

You are suggesting that would have no bearings on anything and anyone bringing it up the previous thread would be wrong to do so?!

Your comments in the past have no bearing on whether or not the statement "anyone that is anti sea-world is a stain on society" is true or not. You might want to bring them up to say, "what about this argument you made the other day - do you not think this applies or do you not think it's valid?", but bringing it up to say "aha you're a hypocrite" does nothing to disprove or even argue against the statement "anyone that is anti sea-world is a stain on society".

On a larger level, I could say "we need to do all we can to protect our oceans," and someone could say "yeah well you admitted the other day that you flicked a joint end down a storm-drain which washed into the River Irwell and into the Irish Sea," and I could say, "yeah my bad, I shouldn't do that." But this has not rebutted the statement "we need to do all we can to protect our oceans." All it's done is pointed that JaDanketies doesn't reach the standards he'd like to see other people reach.

That's why Tu Quoque is considered an extension of the Ad Hominem logical fallacy.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: JaDanketies on April 12, 2021, 02:20:52 PM
Your comments in the past have no bearing on whether or not the statement "anyone that is anti sea-world is a stain on society" is true or not. You might want to bring them up to say, "what about this argument you made the other day - do you not think this applies or do you not think it's valid?", but bringing it up to say "aha you're a hypocrite" does nothing to disprove or even argue against the statement "anyone that is anti sea-world is a stain on society".

On a larger level, I could say "we need to do all we can to protect our oceans," and someone could say "yeah well you admitted the other day that you flicked a joint end down a storm-drain which washed into the River Irwell and into the Irish Sea," and I could say, "yeah my bad, I shouldn't do that." But this has not rebutted the statement "we need to do all we can to protect our oceans." All it's done is said that JaDanketies doesn't reach the standards he'd like to see other people reach.

Ah see you are just dealing with individual arguments; which is fine but you are ignoring inconsistent hypocritical behaviour which does tell you something about intentions.  A lot of the arguments that occur on here are less about "issues" and more about how people choose to treat and direct conversations around them.  CAB is just like any other societal group; it should be self governing; but certain individuals become influential and then shape discourse; you only hope without formalised control against these things (democractic solutions being an obvious one) is that those influencers are benevolent rather than malicious. 

Removing the charge of hypocrisy or other issues around personal character just leads to powerful people doing whatever they want; for example we point out Johnson is a hypocrite to make a moral claim for a better leader or PM; it doesn't matter if technically he is correct in a certain argument the fact of how he got there in the first place is damaging to society; ignoring this seems quite helpful to anyone that has accumulated power (and this is translatable to bad faith in previous arguments) to use it un-contested.

It's not something I recognise as useful to be honest; sure needlessly and pedantically harking back to some vague minutiae of what someone said previously can be a weak argument in certain contexts but it is nowhere near as cut and dry as you are making out.  Moral character is important and informative to groups (and it always has been hence why we value it).

madhair60

Quote from: JaDanketies on April 12, 2021, 02:20:52 PMThat's why Tu Quoque is considered an extension

Christ, I should say so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Buelligan

I laughed too, small world, eh?

madhair60

Buelligan

And yet have you been to see the dickdoc?  I think not, old bat, I think not.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Phil_A on April 12, 2021, 08:59:59 AM
I feel like there's been a really nasty, aggressively intolerant vibe on here of late. The fact it comes from people like Barry who set the tone of debate on here is quite upsetting, to be honest.

He's not immune just because he's your mate.

My "intolerance" in this thread is solely aimed at people who were being attention whores to make the thread all about them, and who then continued after I asked nicely that we all get the thread on track.

You can't be a dick towards a whole group of people trying to have a nice chat then claim it's bullying when you're told to stop being a wanker.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Zetetic on April 12, 2021, 09:48:38 AM
Given the discussion is about appropriate tone and modes of interaction on the popular "comedy" forum Cookdandbombd, it seems reasonable to look at how people advocating against particular kinds of posts have posted themselves on that forum (if only so we can better understand what line it is that they're trying to draw).

👆👆👆 This 👆👆👆

Barry Admin

QuoteFor fucks sake pack it in the pair of you.

If this is "really nasty, agressively intolerant", so be it.

As said, I already asked nicely for people to stop, but even wanting the thread to go back to normal and be happily enjoyed by everyone else was then seized upon as a bone of contention to get another round of bickering going. Mind-blowing.

Some of you have me marked down as a doormat who is too soft, therefore you need to listen when I bluntly make it clear that enough is enough, as I did above. I'm tired of seeing good threads ruined by people who need to be the center of some drama, and any personal problems they may have are irrelevant to any of this.

Sidenote: you know how many years I've spent asking nicely for people to listen? You know how effective I've found it to be when you have contrarians who want to stir shit?  The answer should now hopefully be apparent.

dallasman

With all that said, I think I'm going to lock the thread now, as it's clearly going nowhere.

Phil_A

Quote from: Barry Admin on April 12, 2021, 05:42:20 PM
If this is "really nasty, agressively intolerant", so be it.

As said, I already asked nicely for people to stop, but even wanting the thread to go back to normal and be happily enjoyed by everyone else was then seized upon as a bone of contention to get another round of bickering going. Mind-blowing.

Some of you have me marked down as a doormat who is too soft, therefore you need to listen when I bluntly make it clear that enough is enough, as I did above. I'm tired of seeing good threads ruined by people who need to be the center of some drama, and any personal problems they may have are irrelevant to any of this.

Sidenote: you know how many years I've spent asking nicely for people to listen? You know how effective I've found it to be when you have contrarians who want to stir shit?  The answer should now hopefully be apparent.

This is an absolutely astonishing post and I think you have lost all sense of perspective with regard to your behaviour towards others on here.

Well good news for you, if this is the kind of forum you want, you can keep it. I won't be a part of it anymore. 17 years down the shitter, goodnight and good luck.

dr beat

Quote from: Phil_A on April 12, 2021, 06:10:23 PM
This is an absolutely astonishing post and I think you have lost all sense of perspective with regard to your behaviour towards others on here.

Well good news for you, if this is the kind of forum you want, you can keep it. I won't be a part of it anymore. 17 years down the shitter, goodnight and good luck.

I, for one, hear you, and I know what you mean. 17 years here too for whatever thats worth.