Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:23:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Great Dramas w/ Homeless Protagonist?

Started by MortSahlFan, April 08, 2021, 09:19:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoblinAhFuckScary

MojoJojo

Tokyo Godfathers - three homeless people find an abandoned baby. Anime, but that should still count.

El Unicornio, mang

Les Amants du Pont-Neuf (1991)

This actually has two homeless protagonists, Juliette Binoche and Denis Lavant, living on the Pont Neuf bridge in Paris.

Beautiful film, with one of my favourite all time shots

Replica bridge was built for the night scenes for several million francs, pretty impressive

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 08, 2021, 09:46:02 PM
The Blues Brothers

Doesn't Jake technically live in that depressing little cupboard with Elwood?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on April 08, 2021, 09:22:53 PM
What about that bloke who had a cat?

You've got it the wrong way round Philip Marlowe had a house but his cat went missing.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 09, 2021, 01:32:18 PM
Doesn't Jake technically live in that depressing little cupboard with Elwood?

The one that got blown to rubble when Carrie Fisher's character blew it up? I kind of feel it was an unofficial doss-house / manky hotel that puts up long-term (homeless) guests anyway.

Oh yeah. Forgot about that famous bit from a film I've watched God knows how many times.

You're right, they're reduced to living in the Bluesmobile for the rest of the film.

mothman

MortSahlFan

Quote from: chveik on April 09, 2021, 03:58:03 AM
Le Signe du Lion

A great movie! I forgot about his later troubles, and then his later "triumph"

The Saint of Fort Washington is a really good movie.. "Vagabond" is a decent movie, and I liked that the protagonist wasn't the typical grateful homeless girl, in fact, she was unlikable, and even got kicked out for being lazy, not wanting to help out in any way.. I've seen it a few times, might check it out in the near future.

mothman

John Wick? His home didn't get blown up until Chapter 2, but before then it smelled of dead dog and the basement was in a bit of a state.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 09, 2021, 02:14:45 PM
I kind of feel it was an unofficial doss-house / manky hotel that puts up long-term (homeless) guests anyway.
If that counts as homeless, I nominate 99 Homes and The Florida Project. Both set against a very similar backdrop of dispossessed families living in cheap motels.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on April 09, 2021, 02:52:03 PM
If that counts as homeless, I nominate 99 Homes and The Florida Project. Both set against a very similar backdrop of dispossessed families living in cheap motels.

Barfly too I guess.

Fr.Bigley

Down and out in Beverly Hills. Nick Nolte was great in it as was Richard Dreyfuss and I usually hate him.

Edit: Tis a comedy, Soz.

chveik

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

popcorn

Wendy and Lucy is one of my favourite films. Love it.

An tSaoi

Quote from: An tSaoi on April 09, 2021, 06:54:28 PM
Rambo?

First Blood has already been mentioned. He's definitely homeless in that. At the start of First Blood Part II our man is in prison, so he has a roof over his head. In Rambo III he appears to be living in a monastery. I can't remember what his set-up is at the start of Rambo IV (aka Rambo or John Rambo), but I think he might be living alone in the woods. So again, homeless. He owns a nice big ranch in Rambo: Last Blood

But yeah, you're right, Rambo is homeless in the sense that he can never go home.

Steve Martin ends up homeless in The Jerk. Charlie Chaplin's Little Tramp was usually homeless, what with him being a tramp. In some of the Laurel & Hardy films made during the Great Depression, they clearly have no permanent homes to go to.

Oh hang on, they're all comedies aren't they? Fuck it. Post.

El Unicornio, mang

John Candy is revealed to be homeless at the end of Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

The thing about Naked is that Johnny isn't homeless, you see him leaving his house in Manchester before he drives down to London. To an extent, you could say this is nitpicking because it definitely feels like a film about homelessness, but Mike Leigh did raise this point in interviews at the time. Possibly because it does change the dynamics of the story- Johnny has been forced to leave Manchester because he's at risk of getting a beating in retaliation for his (unclear) sexually violent behaviour towards the woman at the very beginning of the movie

An tSaoi

chveik

Quote from: Astronaut Omens on April 09, 2021, 07:48:24 PM
The thing about Naked is that Johnny isn't homeless, you see him leaving his house in Manchester before he drives down to London. To an extent, you could say this is nitpicking because it definitely feels like a film about homelessness, but Mike Leigh did raise this point in interviews at the time. Possibly because it does change the dynamics of the story- Johnny has been forced to leave Manchester because he's at risk of getting a beating in retaliation for his (unclear) sexually violent behaviour towards the woman at the very beginning of the movie

True, but he becomes homeless. As you say, he has a house in Manchester, but he can't go back there. He has no money, no job, so
Spoiler alert
when he hobbles off at the end he's absolutely fucked. Where is he going to go? Nowhere. I suppose you could argue that Johnny could eventually find a job and get a roof over his head, but that haunting final shot suggests he has no hope at all.
[close]

gib

An tSaoi

Jerzy Bondov

Wasn't there some shite thing with Robert Downey Jnr where Jamie Foxx is like a bananas violin tramp

Looked it up it's called The Soloist.

Sebastian Cobb

You've reminded me about The Caveman's Valentine, where Samuel L Jackson is a schizophrenic man who lives in a cave and solves a murder.

Cuellar