Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:01:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Great Dramas w/ Homeless Protagonist?

Started by MortSahlFan, April 08, 2021, 09:19:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuellar

Sorry I've just seen we've been over that. As you were.

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 09, 2021, 08:08:15 PM
True, but he becomes homeless. As you say, he has a house in Manchester, but he can't go back there. He has no money, no job, so
Spoiler alert
when he hobbles off at the end he's absolutely fucked. Where is he going to go? Nowhere. I suppose you could argue that Johnny could eventually find a job and get a roof over his head, but that haunting final shot suggests he has no hope at all.
[close]
That's also true. My point, I suppose is one of emphasis- that opening minute casts Johnny as a sexually violent man who brings down the risk of retribution on himself, and in that context his later rapey behaviour, and Jeremy/Sebastian's, and the enigmatic line "
Spoiler alert
why not me brother?]", suggesting that Johnny himself is also a victim of abuse
[close]
all make sense. It's a film with sexual violence as a primary theme. If you skip that opening minute, and think of Johnny as primarily as a sort of brilliantly witty homeless guy- (which scenes like the "Maggie!" bit start to turn it into) then the sexual violence in the film becomes a bit arbitrary, like a secondary thread thrown in to make the movie a bit edgier.

I guess I'm trying to say that it's more about sexual violence than it is about homelessness.

MortSahlFan

Quote from: chveik on April 09, 2021, 07:51:10 PM
Wanda. i strongly recommend it

Good one. Barbara Loden write, directed, starred, but unfortunately died very early.
A year later, her husband Elia Kazan made the tension-filled "The Visitors"

Barney Sloane

The Fisher King

Granted, it's more of a comedy-drama but still.

ProvanFan

Thanks to this thread I'm still thinking about Sylvester Stallone's magnificent naked body.

lipsink

Captain Fantastic?

Viggo Mortenson gives good homeless.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

An tSaoi

zomgmouse

The Legend of the Holy Drinker came to mind. Rutger Hauer in a Joseph Roth adaptation by Ermanno Olmi. Really touching.

notjosh

In Frank Borzage's Man's Castle, Spencer Tracy is living in a shanty town during the depression, and takes in a homeless Loretta Young. It's a beautiful pre-code film about two people struggling to survive. Very hard to find the original cut nowadays but there's an edited version on YouTube which is still worth watching.

There are plenty of films about people living in homeless communes. All Robin Hood films of course. Kevin Brownlow's Winstanley, about the 17th century Diggers movement in which a small group of people try to live off common land. King Vidor's Our Daily Bread tells a similar story about a communal farm during the depression.

I don't know if it's made explicit, but I'm pretty sure that Ann Darrow is homeless at the beginning of King Kong.

Noodle Lizard

Maybe stretching the definition of "homeless", but Buzzard and Entertainment are ace and both center around characters who seem to have no home (metaphorically and literally). Naked has been mentioned already, but that also sprang to mind.

neveragain

There's a great one starring Peter Mullan. Title's just the guy's name. Gritty and realistic.

wooders1978

Blue Ruin - on Netflix at the mo, get it watched

Quote from: wooders1978 on April 14, 2021, 08:05:53 AM
Blue Ruin - on Netflix at the mo, get it watched

I was just about to say that I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Blue Ruin yet.  Awesome film.

wooders1978

Quote from: neveragain on April 13, 2021, 11:51:15 PM
There's a great one starring Peter Mullan. Title's just the guy's name. Gritty and realistic.

Is his character also homeless in tyrannosaur?

neveragain

No, he lives on a council estate and cuts his neighbour's dog's head off.

MortSahlFan

Quote from: notjosh on April 13, 2021, 07:39:42 AM
In Frank Borzage's Man's Castle, Spencer Tracy is living in a shanty town during the depression, and takes in a homeless Loretta Young. It's a beautiful pre-code film about two people struggling to survive. Very hard to find the original cut nowadays but there's an edited version on YouTube which is still worth watching.

There are plenty of films about people living in homeless communes. All Robin Hood films of course. Kevin Brownlow's Winstanley, about the 17th century Diggers movement in which a small group of people try to live off common land. King Vidor's Our Daily Bread tells a similar story about a communal farm during the depression.

I don't know if it's made explicit, but I'm pretty sure that Ann Darrow is homeless at the beginning of King Kong.

I see one that is an hour and 6 minutes on YouTube... I think I'll check it out. Thanks!

Quote from: Blumf on April 09, 2021, 12:42:26 AM
Emperor of the North Pole (1973) has train hopping hobo Lee Marvin facing off with conductor Ernest Borgnine

On Talking Pictures TV this Sunday 2200h, well worth a look.

Yup.

Following a theme earlier in the thread, I think this could have worked as a silent film (given the setting, given the plotline) - no words, just Borgnine and Marvin absolutely going at it.

lazyhour

Best film featuring a homeless protagonist is definitely the ridiculous Surviving The Game (1994). Ice T plays a hobo who is taken to a jungle location by Rutger Hauer and Gary Busey on the promise of paid work, but instead he discovers that they plan to hunt and kill him for sport. Imagine being hunted down by Hauer and Busey!

It's maybe not A Good Film, but it's flipping brilliant.

phantom_power

Quote from: neveragain on April 13, 2021, 11:51:15 PM

My Name is Joe?

Sebastian Cobb

Dex Sawash

Ice-T in Surviving the Game,  not really great or drama

Sebastian Cobb

Surviving the game sounds alright but also like a flagrant rip-off of Hard Target.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 15, 2021, 12:16:48 PM
Surviving the game sounds alright but also like a flagrant rip-off of Hard Target.

I do like a Most Dangerous Game adaptation - Run for the Sun is good fun.

My memory of Surviving the Game is that it wastes most of its potential but there's still a Busey monologue where you're not sure if acting.

lazyhour

How about "Surviving The Game"? Think it stars Ice Cube