Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:52:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sudden realisation about Silent Hill enemy

Started by Rev+, April 09, 2021, 02:58:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rev+

The enemy in question being the 'Mandarin', which swings and cuts from above in certain levels and in certain games.

It's fucking 'Mandolin' isn't it, and the translation was done over the phone.  Without wanting to appear as massive a racist as I am, you can pretty much see what happened here.

Mobius

If that's the case then why isn't it called Sirent Hirr

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

St_Eddie

I don't understand.  How is this...

in any way like this...

?

Bazooka

QuoteThe name "Mandarin" is derived from the dress type sheathing on its body, as it appears to be Chinese in origin.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Apparently in the Japanese version the enemy is called Vera Lynn, so you're all wrong.

H-O-W-L

Bizzarely the opposite happens in some translations of the anime/manga Black Lagoon, where the character Revy becomes Levy or Levi, or even in one translation, Levis, presumably because she wears jean shorts. Unfortunately the translators who do this fail to understand it's a play on the fact her name is Rebecca and the fact it is a short-name for that comes up several times throughout the run.

Bazooka

Haven't seen a peep from Rev+ after this, not surprising.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Bazooka on April 17, 2021, 10:55:03 AM
Haven't seen a peep from Rev+ after this, not surprising.

Of course, they mistranslated their name as Lev+ in the beta version.

Mister Six

Quote from: H-O-W-L on April 17, 2021, 08:55:42 AM
Bizzarely the opposite happens in some translations of the anime/manga Black Lagoon, where the character Revy becomes Levy or Levi, or even in one translation, Levis, presumably because she wears jean shorts. Unfortunately the translators who do this fail to understand it's a play on the fact her name is Rebecca and the fact it is a short-name for that comes up several times throughout the run.

One of the main characters in Gunsmith Cats is nicknamed "Rally" in the translations but is actually supposed to be called "Larry". Her birth name is either Irene or Eileen. Thankfully, her partners in crime fighting are called Minnie Mae and Misty.

popcorn

Knuckles Chaotix, the shit Sonic spin-off 1995, began as a prototype with Sonic and Tails connected by an "elastic band" of energy.

The prototype leaked at some point and has the strange name of Sonic Crackers. No one knew why it was called this. Then one day someone realised it was surely another Japanese L/R mixup, and it was meant to be clackers:

Rev+