Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 10:12:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

arch-gammon andrew neil (who is a gammon) crying about being called a gammon

Started by madhair60, April 09, 2021, 10:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkfromhavana

Call me a bit thick, but if he hates the term so much, why did he opt to leave the BBC to join the new Gammon Broadcasting news channel?

madhair60

Quote from: Paul Calf on April 09, 2021, 05:01:43 PM
"Hello, shitty right-wing cunt. Would you like an excuse to deflect criticism from the horrible, shitty things you're doing? Fine. We don't really want anything to change either, so here goes: your skin is the same colour as gammon and that is bad.

Happy to help."

there he is

Kankurette

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on April 09, 2021, 06:06:27 PM
Affluent, middle-aged white Tory voters getting so rattled by leftist shitposters making fun of them that they have to desperately grasp at the language of the civil rights movement to defend themselves is a patently ridiculous and funny situation and trying to actually engage with this kind of bad-faith "well actually" nonsense (which would just be returned in a slightly modified form for whichever specific insult or meme you could effectively level at this crowd) is an absurd waste of time and energy. Might as well just sit back and enjoy the fact that this one has so evidently got under the (purple, blotchy) skin of the world's biggest bunch of entitled, whingeing cunts.
They're the same people who call everyone cucks, snowflakes, SJWs, woke, loony left, libtard and so on. They dish it out enough.

lipsink

Yes, it's absolutely pointless debating with these awful cunts and it gets you nowhere. That ship has sailed. Fuck them.

Goldentony

"Hello, shitty right-wing cunt. Would you like an excuse to deflect criticism from the horrible, shitty things you're doing? Fine. We don't really want anything to change either, so here goes: your skin is the same colour as gammon and that is bad.

Happy to help."

found Robin Ince's account

Wonderful Butternut

Happy to help."

Aye, cos they wouldn't come up with another way of deflecting or ignoring criticisms if they weren't being called gammon.

Buelligan

I hope you're not suggesting they'd stoop to murdering a member of our Royal Familee?  One of their own?

Sebastian Cobb

Happy to help."

In 1838, Charles Dickens used the word in his 1838 novel, Nicholas Nickleby:[26]

The time had been, when this burst of enthusiasm would have been cheered to the very echo; but now, the deputation received it with chilling coldness. The general impression seemed to be, that as an explanation of Mr. Gregsbury's political conduct, it did not enter quite enough into detail; and one gentleman in the rear did not scruple to remark aloud, that, for his purpose, it savoured rather too much of a 'gammon' tendency.

The meaning of that term—gammon,' said Mr. Gregsbury, 'is unknown to me. If it means that I grow a little too fervid, or perhaps even hyperbolical, in extolling my native land, I admit the full justice of the remark. I am proud of this free and happy country. My form dilates, my eye glistens, my breast heaves, my heart swells, my bosom burns, when I call to mind her greatness and her glory.[27]
Charles Dickens -  Nicholas Nickleby

Get in your Delorian mate.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2018/05/turns-out-charles-dickens-invented-concept-gammon-1838

Old Thrashbarg

"Hello, shitty right-wing cunt. Would you like an excuse to deflect criticism from the horrible, shitty things you're doing?"

"No, why on earth would I suddenly need an excuse?"

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

They're just showing how oversensitive they are themselves. The triggered woke PC snowflake leftist cucks they love to deride are constantly absorbing background radiation of bigotry. Every black person and every feminist and every LGBTQ person you see calling someone out for using bigoted language or doing something shitty lets hundreds of little things slide every single day. But Mr. Respectable Journalist is called a food and he hits the roof. Someone points out that Winston Churchill was a racist and Piers Morgan starts cry-wanking. Amazing and amusing. Call them gammon more. "Okay Gammon" instead of Okay Boomer. "Calm down, Gammon" instead of "Calm down, Karen". Mock them when they say it's racist. Conservative isn't a race.

phes

^ yeh. I believe they say I love to see a gammon on the boil and I can't fault their taste

bgmnts

Yeah basically this is the ultimate incredible irony that these cunts - cis white dudes in general - will never understand and that's that their privilege gives them a warped sense of their own fragility. If they now had to go through even a fraction of the harassment and oppression that marginalised groups had to endure they'd shit their gammon pants and cry.

Fuck em.

Is this like a Dunning Kruger thing? How do we get past this? Do we have to subject everyone to some form of bigotry so we can gain empathy? I dont know the solution and its crap.

Kankurette

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on April 09, 2021, 11:22:48 PM
They're just showing how oversensitive they are themselves. The triggered woke PC snowflake leftist cucks they love to deride are constantly absorbing background radiation of bigotry. Every black person and every feminist and every LGBTQ person you see calling someone out for using bigoted language or doing something shitty lets hundreds of little things slide every single day. But Mr. Respectable Journalist is called a food and he hits the roof. Someone points out that Winston Churchill was a racist and Piers Morgan starts cry-wanking. Amazing and amusing. Call them gammon more. "Okay Gammon" instead of Okay Boomer. "Calm down, Gammon" instead of "Calm down, Karen". Mock them when they say it's racist. Conservative isn't a race.
This. Like all bullies, they can dish it out but they can't take it.

elliszeroed

gilbertharding

Quote from: Butchers Blind on April 09, 2021, 10:30:54 AM

I saw on twitter that he thinks Private Eye constantly retweeting that photo proves that they are racist, because in his world it's his lovely companion who is the butt of the joke. Is the man ever not wrong?

Buelligan

TBH, that pic is slightly cruel, don't get me wrong, the man's a nasty piece of work.  He's handed out plenty and walked past outstretched and desperate hands enough to deserve more cruelty than that.  Its cruelty, for me, anyway, lies in the exposure of his inner hope. 

The revelation, that inside that pitiless carapace lies a soul hoping to find something better.  To be loved for himself. 

That's not the face of lust or greed there, it's the face of a ghost that's waited and waited, waited in vain for some small sign that another human being might ever find anything about him precious.  It's the etiolated face of some tiny corner in his soul not corralled and crushed by advancement, just wanting to be loved.  And it is cruel to look upon it and laugh because it's more revealing than any sex tape.  Nevertheless, that man needs to change radically if he's ever going to deserve to get what he obviously wants.

Jockice

Quote from: Butchers Blind on April 09, 2021, 11:55:17 AM

Various shades of gammon.

I'll do my usual bit on here in which I mention that the one on the right of the middle row looks exactly like Harry Clarke, the biggest cunt I've ever met in my entire life. And I've met some cunts in my life, let me tell you.

It's not him. He died about a decade ago to a chorus of 'good' from my sister and I - which proves how much of a cunt he was, as me and my sis rarely agree on anything - but I feel obliged to mention it on the very vague chance that a member of his family reads CaB and sees it. Because he really was the king of cunts.

mothman

Interesting article about how engaging with and challenging the beliefs of, not gammons but MAGAs, can work.

https://demcastusa.com/2020/10/30/maga-troll-to-biden-supporter/

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: gilbertharding on April 10, 2021, 09:43:09 AM
I saw on twitter that he thinks Private Eye constantly retweeting that photo proves that they are racist, because in his world it's his lovely companion who is the butt of the joke. Is the man ever not wrong?
It is slightly racist in carrying the assumption that the woman's a bit of exotic totty, but it's only republished because Neil is so annoyed by it. This is the same man who sued Peregrine Worsthorne for libel when Perry said Neil was a playboy unfit to run a newspaper. Neil is a very petty little man with a thin skin who desperately wants to be taken seriously.