Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:50:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Your absolute fave big belting club mixes

Started by The Mollusk, April 09, 2021, 10:16:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mollusk

Lately I've been revisiting some of my favourite Fabriclive mixes, since as soon as the springtime starts kicking in I get a huge vibrant burst of enthusiasm in my blood, especially now that I've not been able to go to any sort of gig in over a year and all I can do is rekindle my fondest memories through some total bangers by my favourite DJs.

The best I've dug out so far:

The late, great Marcus Intalex: Gorgeous, soulful liquid drum 'n' bass which sent me spiralling off into the nostalgia of being in my early 20s at the Custard Factory, eyes closed, all smiles. A really stunning mix. The three-track run of Jonny L's deep acid groove "Come Here" > the huge clobbering beat and breezy sample juxtaposition of "Smash VIP" > the pure nostalgic tears in the rain fingers in the air of Soulmatic's "Self Belief" is just fucking ffnnNNGGHHH YES

Jackmaster: One of those big party mood mixes I'd always love to stick on before a night out. Does a stellar job of mixing modern housey cuts from the likes of Ramadanman and Martyn into classics like Kim English's Nite Life (Armand Van Helden Remix), enormously fun stuff. It falls totally flat in the last few tracks, where Jacky tries too hard to add an eclectic flare (something he's ordinarily really good at) by mixing Aphex into Skepta into Radiohead's "The National Anthem" and it's a fucking huge let down, really sloppy mixing, but you've got an hour of bangers preceding that so it can easily be overlooked.

Daphni: A mix comprising entirely of Snaith's own edits, cuts and remixes. This mix works far better than listening to his tracks/albums individually, as they seem to be perfectly catered for dancefloor alchemy and as a result this mix flows just like yer man's music: organically, unexpectedly, often minimally, always effortlessly cool and original.

Anyway this ain't just a Fabriclive thread. I'll talk a bit later about how I've been reminiscing over the dubstep scene around the mid-'00s and how much of an enormous impact that music had on my life - a lot of it through the "Dubstep Allstars" mix series, which was my point of introduction - but I'll leave the OP as it is for now.

Show me your moves! And please post links if they're available!

chveik

Elysia Crampton - Dissolution of the Sovereign

digital cumbia and a bunch of other stuff. very inventive, i reckon

i'm a big fan of Kevin Saunderson's X-Mix loads of lesser-known detroit techno bangers

WhoMe

Quote from: The Mollusk on April 09, 2021, 10:16:20 AM

Anyway this ain't just a Fabriclive thread. I'll talk a bit later about how I've been reminiscing over the dubstep scene around the mid-'00s and how much of an enormous impact that music had on my life - a lot of it through the "Dubstep Allstars" mix series, which was my point of introduction - but I'll leave the OP as it is for now.

Show me your moves! And please post links if they're available!

Hello, fellow stuck in the mid-00's dubstep traveller. Vol. 2 by Youngsta is the one for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUXllMiXH2g
Not so much big club as 'how many bassbins can you fit in a dark basement and keep the turntables working' but that was always more my vibe. Just mercilessly cold, stark, cavernous beats.

This mix by Cyrus is just as good I think:
https://www.mixcloud.com/cyrusrtp/cyrus-decade-mix-vol-1/

The Mollusk

Quote from: WhoMe on April 09, 2021, 05:17:41 PM
Hello, fellow stuck in the mid-00's dubstep traveller. Vol. 2 by Youngsta is the one for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUXllMiXH2g
Not so much big club as 'how many bassbins can you fit in a dark basement and keep the turntables working' but that was always more my vibe. Just mercilessly cold, stark, cavernous beats.

This mix by Cyrus is just as good I think:
https://www.mixcloud.com/cyrusrtp/cyrus-decade-mix-vol-1/

Cheers for the Cyrus link! Having a listen now.

Those early "Allstars" mixes are excellent. My personal favourite is volume 4 (2 discs, by Youngsta and Hatcha respectively). I picked up a copy of that and the first Skream album around 2006/07 and they were the entry points to the genre for me. That Hatcha disc mixes from Mala's "Left Leg Out" into Benga's "Broken Step", two of my favourite dubstep tunes of all time, and the rest of it is just fucking magic. Timeless, and so many memories attached to it.

The Mollusk

The Mollusk

That Cyrus link is decent but his levels are all over the shop! Some of the tracks are hella quiet.

Incidentally WhoMe, do you follow a lot of the modern scene at all? My friend is well into it so I get a lot of it drip fed from him. Not to bang on too much about Fabriclive again but the Kahn & Neek mix is fucking excellent. Gantz is one of my recent favourite producers for how totally ff the wall he is.

Quote from: chveik on April 09, 2021, 03:03:06 PM
i'm a big fan of Kevin Saunderson's X-Mix loads of lesser-known detroit techno bangers

Digging this right now man, cheers.

The Mollusk

I had to give myself a mesalazine enema every night for a month in February so I'm done sticking things up my arse thanks. But do please contribute some good mix sets if you've got 'em.

chveik

i've been fucking around on on rym mixes' chart

this one's really good (garage/chicago house mostly)

Gemini - Live at Deep in the Flowers, Dallas

ever heard of singeli? it's quite fun

https://soundcloud.com/platform/bamba-pana-makaveli-mp3

WhoMe

Quote from: The Mollusk on April 10, 2021, 02:24:04 PM

Incidentally WhoMe, do you follow a lot of the modern scene at all? My friend is well into it so I get a lot of it drip fed from him. Not to bang on too much about Fabriclive again but the Kahn & Neek mix is fucking excellent. Gantz is one of my recent favourite producers for how totally ff the wall he is.

Not a lot these days. Sold my decks a few years back so the motivation to keep up with releases fell away, and there wasn't much that caught me like the older stuff did. Kahn is an exception, when he releases something... Commodo, LAS, Versa, Karma. I really wish Quest was still active, his stuff was magic. SYSTEM and ZamZam are two labels worth keeping an eye on, ZamZam very heavily on the 'dub' side of the spectrum if you're into that. Their monthly radio show is good
https://lyl.live/show/sounds-from-the-well

chveik

i feel like you might enjoy this one Mollusk

Yamantaka Eye – Remote Utopias DJ Mix (NTS 1 Radio – May 2, 2020)

edit: or maybe not there's a fair amount of jamaican music

purlieu

Darren Emerson's mix for the Cream Separates series was always a favourite of mine. Really great selection of warm sounding techno with a few house cuts in there too. Used to listen to it a lot in my teens.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQFbzKFVOOo