Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,471
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:16:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Duke of Deadinburgh

Started by Huxleys Babkins, April 09, 2021, 12:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

i was a bit underwhelmed by saturday to be perfectly honest. maybe the Hard Left undermined it, but there was little of performative writhing of last Friday week, like shutting down Radio 4 Extra for 3 days and sending the National Rail website charcoal via an overlay.

I enjoyed spending it as Sir Eliot of Ness though

chveik

seeing black footballers wearing armbands as a tribute for this scum was a bit weird

DrGreggles

"There he was just a-buried in the ground, singin'
Do wah deaddy deaddy cunt deaddy duke"

Video Game Fan 2000

see that dirt
watch that scene
dig it
the grieving queen

idunnosomename

Youll shit bricks when u see it

Attila

I avoided radio, tv, and most of the internet on Saturday and had a pleasant afternoon reading in the garden and writing a letter (accompanied by a cat), tidying, working on a book chapter, playing with my spinning wheel.

Went to check email in the evening, and not only had my Royal family mad friend been emailing a running commentary most of the service, but several other American friends and colleagues had come out of the woodwork to email me about the service, the DoE, the Royal Family, to ask me how I was faring up, etc. I've never once indicated that I give more than a rat's arse about the RF (except to make rude comments). Bizarre. One of them informed me that she was envious that I was over here to 'experience' the whole thing whilst she had to make due watching it on BBC America or whatever.

Weirdos. Nathan Hale is rolling in his grave.

mothman

It wasn't behind a paywall initially, so if you have access and want a genuine outpouring of love and grief about someone worth mourning, then that article about Helen McCrory by her husband is worth a read.

DrGreggles

Chatted with my girlfriend yesterday, who thought I was exaggerating when I said it was live on BBC1 for 6 hours.
"That's fucking crazy. Even Michael Jackson didn't get that!"

Blue Jam

6 hours?!! Just imagine what an arse-numbing affair the CoD's funeral will be...

Just seen some pics from the funeral and noticed Wills' lockdown haircut. He looks so much less fogeyish when he just buzzes the remnants short.

idunnosomename

Michael Jackson was also a controversial figure of course

EOLAN

Quote from: Attila on April 18, 2021, 10:03:30 AM

Went to check email in the evening, and not only had my Royal family mad friend been emailing a running commentary most of the service, but several other American friends and colleagues had come out of the woodwork to email me about the service, the DoE, the Royal Family, to ask me how I was faring up, etc. I've never once indicated that I give more than a rat's arse about the RF (except to make rude comments). Bizarre. One of them informed me that she was envious that I was over here to 'experience' the whole thing whilst she had to make due watching it on BBC America or whatever.

Weirdos. Nathan Hale is rolling in his grave.

Can't you just tell your friends that you enjoyed the funeral so much that you are hoping to have a large wave of major royals dying over the next year.

Ferris

Attila

Quote from: EOLAN on April 18, 2021, 12:38:51 PM
Can't you just tell your friends that you enjoyed the funeral so much that you are hoping to have a large wave of major royals dying over the next year.

My snarky replies to them have been like shooting fish in a barrel. Told one I'd check in from time to time to see the ceremonial staking through the heart, &c.

idunnosomename

it really is absolutely incredible how that's just there on the front page, and not even in an opinion column.

the sunday times was always a bit tabloidy but come on. that would a bit ott on the tabloid.

NOW I may be leftcuck liberal snowtard who is offended by absolutely everything, but I do think I have a point that if your one job was to be an ambassador for your country, perhaps it isn't so great if you're best known for denigrating people from other parts of the world with insulting references to their appearance, behaviour and customs

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Attila on April 18, 2021, 12:45:15 PM
My snarky replies to them have been like shooting fish in a barrel. Told one I'd check in from time to time to see the ceremonial staking through the heart, &c.

I always wonder with American royalists, do they want America to have a monarchy as well?

Kankurette

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 18, 2021, 12:42:40 PM
The 3rd paragraph from this front page story:

Who the shit is 'we'? Because I didn't.

Fambo, I think it's a novelty for them.

TrenterPercenter

Can I ask; has the corpse been throughly staked through the heart and the portal opened to send its soul once again back the dark realm?

I've not been paying any attention to any of it but keep getting the sense that the funeral has been done?

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on April 18, 2021, 01:44:39 PM
I always wonder with American royalists, do they want America to have a monarchy as well?

Consumerism and meritocracy are aristocratic ideologies. If everything around you pushes the idea that those who have the most worked the hardest to get it, its not a big leap to the idea that those who have the most are innately superior. Yas, queen.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on April 18, 2021, 01:44:39 PM

That's what the Kardashians are for. Nah, that's not fair, they actually earn their own money.

Americans do love a dynasty though. The Kennedys, the Bushes, the Trumps, the Clintons. Alright, maybe not the Clintons.

Video Game Fan 2000

Woke Americans who love Prince Harry, not his wife specifically him, really get me.

Before he married Meghan you'd see social media accounts that were full of rants about the problematics of this or that pop culture and all white men should shut up. Prince Harry, though? Bae.

JamesTC

Period of mourning over.

Lads: The Queen in single!

kalowski

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 18, 2021, 12:42:40 PM
The 3rd paragraph from this front page story:

I have complained to IPSO.

Video Game Fan 2000

Sitting here thinking about how sad the queen is.

idunnosomename

Says a lot more about our papers than it does about Prince Philip really

Sebastian Cobb

H-O-W-L

Fambo Number Mive

Nothing says "tasteful" like a tribute made out of dead fish.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: H-O-W-L on April 18, 2021, 03:24:00 PM
Is that a fucking tuna steak swastika?

I fucking love fash-imi.

idunnosomename

Pensioners favourite for the lettering