Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 11:28:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Duke of Deadinburgh

Started by Huxleys Babkins, April 09, 2021, 12:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poodlefaker

Sixteen years he worked on it, apparently. All the old cunt did was extend the wheelbase.

Kankurette

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on April 18, 2021, 02:50:25 PM
Woke Americans who love Prince Harry, not his wife specifically him, really get me.

Before he married Meghan you'd see social media accounts that were full of rants about the problematics of this or that pop culture and all white men should shut up. Prince Harry, though? Bae.
Kind of weird that they like him and not her when she's the reason why he's distanced himself from his vile family.

Ferris

Quote from: poodlefaker on April 18, 2021, 05:53:09 PM
Sixteen years he worked on it, apparently. All the old cunt did was extend the wheelbase.

Doubt he had the angle grinder and acetylene torch out himself either.

Phil: Can you make that bit longer?
Mechanic: Yes

16 years? My arse.

steve98

16 years R&D, and it didn't even get to go on a proper road.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on April 18, 2021, 03:25:38 PM
Nothing says "tasteful" like a tribute made out of dead fish.

When I was 6 my dad told me to look out my bedroom window and he'd arranged some dead men in the back garden to spell out "I trod on your goldfish"

Kankurette

mothman

Quote from: H-O-W-L on April 18, 2021, 03:24:00 PM
Is that a fucking tuna steak swastika?

Oddly enough, it looks rather like the logo of the Fourth International.

Rise up, fishy comrades! You have nothing to lose but your fins!

Jittlebags

Suprised it didn't have rifles poking out of it like Corporal Jones' butcher van. With dozens of pheasants being released, and shot, engulfing the Land Rover in a feathery rain of death.

BlodwynPig

Wasn't Phil the Royal that people ignored or actively disliked. Amazing what a death can do to completely alter public perception*.

*not amazing, sad indictment of fealty.

Kankurette

I'm amazed so many people are upset about the old cunt. Di, at least, died in a car crash, was fairly young, had two little kids and a lot of women identified with her. You can't say that about Phil.

Butchers Blind

Quote from: Kankurette on April 18, 2021, 09:36:13 PM
I'm amazed so many people are upset about the old cunt. Di, at least, died in a car crash, was fairly young, had two little kids and a lot of women identified with her. You can't say that about Phil.

Unless you're that age where you wake up every day with the Grim Reaper sitting on the end of your bed sharpening his scythe and tapping his watch.

EOLAN

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 18, 2021, 08:02:57 PM
Wasn't Phil the Royal that people ignored or actively disliked. Amazing what a death can do to completely alter public perception*.

*not amazing, sad indictment of fealty.

Some many friends or wives of friends in Canada/USA who adore the Royal family often just assume Prince William will succeed the Queen. Often very disappointed when I have to tell them it is Charles with suggestions ah he should just give it up and be skipped.

So I go for Charles as most forgotten/disliked among them.

mothman

We all know most of the ways that the British public tend to look askance at Charles as future monarch; what is it about him the Canadians don't like?

hamfist

Buelligan

Quote from: Kankurette on April 18, 2021, 09:36:13 PM

I think the Diana thing was about that for some, maybe many but I think there were also an awful lot of people who saw the things she did, the HIV/AIDS thing, the land mines thing, even the dating a muslim thing, as signs that the Establishment might not be as unchangeable as they thought.  A future queen who might help things improve for ordinary people.  Who might be an ally.  An advocate.  And powerful, with the ear of the world.

When she was killed, I think a lot of the grief was for that lost hope.  The realisation that things will never be allowed to change, not in their lifetimes anyway. 

The cheer, after her brother's speech at the funeral, was about that.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Buelligan on April 19, 2021, 07:45:50 AM
I think the Diana thing was about that for some, maybe many but I think there were also an awful lot of people who saw the things she did, the HIV/AIDS thing, the land mines thing, even the dating a muslim thing, as signs that the Establishment might not be as unchangeable as they thought.  A future queen who might help things improve for ordinary people.  Who might be an ally.  An advocate.  And powerful, with the ear of the world.

When she was killed, I think a lot of the grief was for that lost hope.  The realisation that things will never be allowed to change, not in their lifetimes anyway. 

The cheer, after her brother's speech at the funeral, was about that.

She dated the muslim outside of the Royal family. A jet setter. The cheer was still a cheer for privilege that will never come for the mulch masses.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I agree with BlodwynPig. I recall the public reaction was mainly driven by petty tabloid side-taking, schoolyard dynamics that then mutated into competitive grief. Diana was, first and foremost, an excellent manipulator and calculating person, whereas Charles was and still is a drab tragic throwback. The Palace were tone deaf and for a wee while caught/court napping, a lesson they appear to have learnt extremely well from.

Butchers Blind

Played golf (pitch & putt) on the day she died. Think we had a kick about in the park on the day of her funeral.
Why would you want to watch a funeral anyway? Unless you're family and friends, what is the point?

EOLAN

Quote from: Butchers Blind on April 19, 2021, 11:03:31 AM
Played golf (pitch & putt) on the day she died. Think we had a kick about in the park on the day of her funeral.
Why would you want to watch a funeral anyway? Unless you're family and friends, what is the point?

To be mesmerised by Reggie Dwights single eye-brow raises. That was the main thing that stood out for me at the funeral.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 19, 2021, 09:36:32 AM
I agree with BlodwynPig. I recall the public reaction was mainly driven by petty tabloid side-taking, schoolyard dynamics that then mutated into competitive grief. Diana was, first and foremost, an excellent manipulator and calculating person, whereas Charles was and still is a drab tragic throwback. The Palace were tone deaf and for a wee while caught/court napping, a lesson they appear to have learnt extremely well from.

I was off my face in a club at 2am in the morning when they stopped the music; announced her death and forced us to listen to Massive Attacks Unfinished Symphony; it was at this point I saw the nations inevitable slide into fascism.

On another note; they are all a bit thick aren't they; the royals; due to all of the inbreeding; often the Queen is exalted as an exceptional monarch largely because she can almost pass for human.

DrGreggles

Quote from: EOLAN on April 19, 2021, 11:06:22 AM
To be mesmerised by Reggie Dwights single eye-brow raises. That was the main thing that stood out for me at the funeral.

Did he do 'I'm Still Standing'?

Buelligan

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 19, 2021, 08:15:39 AM
She dated the muslim outside of the Royal family. A jet setter. The cheer was still a cheer for privilege that will never come for the mulch masses.

That's all true but it doesn't change the feeling people had that she might change things - whether she would've or could've is irrelevant, a lot of people grieved for her not because she was pretty or royal or any of the other stuff but because she was the first person like that to appear to be thinking differently.  She gave them hope that things might change, false hope or not, it was the death of hope they wept for.  In fairness, the HIV thing was huge, you ask anyone around at the time whose life was touched by it. 

Kankurette

Ian Holloway on Phil :"That man was so selfless in his life and I wanted us to come out of this pandemic caring about other people more than ourselves and the opposite is happening."

What.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Buelligan on April 19, 2021, 12:51:18 PM
That's all true but it doesn't change the feeling people had that she might change things - whether she would've or could've is irrelevant, a lot of people grieved for her not because she was pretty or royal or any of the other stuff but because she was the first person like that to appear to be thinking differently.  She gave them hope that things might change, false hope or not, it was the death of hope they wept for.  In fairness, the HIV thing was huge, you ask anyone around at the time whose life was touched by it.
Her role was to save the royal family, to modernise and humanise it, so it was about something other than war and killing animals, to provide firstly nice heirs for Charles but more generally to stop them being alien loveless horse-whipping robots. Previously royals were into shooting animals, the armed forces, and arcane sports like carriage racing and dressage. Diana was a nice new royal who'd ensure that the republicans didn't get the upper hand and abolish the lot of them.

Later in her life, after she was effectively out of the royal family, she did become more of an International Humanitarian Celebrity up there with Mother Teresa and Angelina Jolie: this had started while she and Charles were still together but developed as she sought a new role later. It was definitely the sense of her as a living saint who suffered tragically and was trying to do good which caused a lot of the emotion at her death. At the same time, right up to her death, a lot of the establishment did actually hate her (as they hate Meghan); at the time she died there was a lot of reportage in the more irreverent press on how elements of the more conservative press suddenly changed their mind on her.

Butchers Blind

I liked the bit where she was rollerskating through Buckingham Palace.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on April 19, 2021, 11:36:57 AM
I was off my face in a club at 2am in the morning when they stopped the music; announced her death and forced us to listen to Massive Attacks Unfinished Symphony; it was at this point I saw the nations inevitable slide into fascism.

I was drinking my way through a cocaine/mdma hangover in a mate's pub when I heard my first Dead Diana joke, within a few short hours of her death being announced. Simpler times.

kalowski

Quote from: SpiderChrist on April 19, 2021, 02:26:36 PM
I was drinking my way through a cocaine/mdma hangover in a mate's pub when I heard my first Dead Diana joke, within a few short hours of her death being announced. Simpler times.
When she's dyin' o' cancer!

Oh, sorry, that's Diana Dors.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Buelligan on April 19, 2021, 12:51:18 PM

Yes, it was huge. I think that indicated a change in the mindset of the PR machine, a reflection of society's general positive change during the 90s, not the individual or institution themselves. The reverse of what the PR machine are doing now with cliched Nationalism and somewhat frightening rhetoric towards the minority dissenting voices.

Video Game Fan 2000

Changing to fit the times is what unjust institutions do to acquire or retain power, not forfeit it. A monarchy that supports the right causes is still a monarchy. Honestly don't see what Diana did as any different from Jack Twitter spending millions on anti-racism nonprofits and diversity training or Facebook going carbon neutral.

There's probably something to the idea that huge eruption of grief in response to her death was in part down to it being the only close coverage of that kind domestic abuse had ever got in the UK media. First time a lot of people saw an apparently normal feature of their lives treated as the unacceptable violence which it was. Which is incredibly sad however you slice it.

The Culture Bunker

Many apologies if already posted - but, fuck me:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CN2JWFXA7kE/

"Nothing more English than enjoying a bit of casual racism, eh?"