Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:05:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Duke of Deadinburgh

Started by Huxleys Babkins, April 09, 2021, 12:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

I remember how a lot of commentators at the time remarked that the "outpouring of grief" over Diana's death was more like an "outpouring of guilt". People were guilty for having been so interested in her life, for having bought the newspapers and gossip magazines that harassed her, for playing an tiny part in her death.

It's just repeated itself since with the phone hacking scandal, the Leveson Inquiry, celebrities like Amy Winehouse, Kerry Katona and Caroline Flack being harassed etc- news media audiences are briefly outraged and feel a bit guilty before they forget and normal service resumes.

Always relevant:

https://youtu.be/cNfTnCN9d00

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on April 19, 2021, 10:24:42 PM
Many apologies if already posted - but, fuck me:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CN2JWFXA7kE/

"Nothing more English than enjoying a bit of casual racism, eh?"

Yeah, it's pretty grim.  I retweeted this upsetting reaction yesterday:

QuoteAs a "slitty eyed" person living in the UK in 2021, it's really something to see a national newspaper normalising racist sentiments 🤮.

Really good to know @thesundaytimes feels this is OK.

and when I did so I assumed it was from a light-hearted comment piece buried inside, which would be bad enough.

It was only today that I discovered that it was near the top of a news piece on the fucking front page.

Utterly disgraceful.

idunnosomename

I can't find it now, but the sunday times pulled the slitty eyes para from the digital edition and claimed it was "liking him despite his flaws" rather than endorsing racism.

like i said, philip was a blueblood cunt born in 1921. that he was a racist cunt is no surprise. whatever.
what is bad that is that a newspaper is celebrating that on its front page in 2021

Ferris

Quote from: idunnosomename on April 20, 2021, 12:19:27 AM
I can't find it now, but the sunday times pulled the slitty eyes para from the digital edition and claimed it was "liking him despite his flaws" rather than endorsing racism.

like i said, philip was a blueblood cunt born in 1921. that he was a racist cunt is no surprise. whatever.
what is bad that is that a newspaper is celebrating that on its front page in 2021

Worse than celebrating it - admitting that when they condemned this type of thing in the past (and the future?) its completely hollow and performative because they secretly think its fine.

I think that's more insidious tbh.

Ambient Sheep

The actress Gemma Chan (probably best known for Humans) has setup a petition on change.org for a proper retraction and apology, rather than the above "apology" that she condemns, quite rightly, as "gaslighting".

Benedict Wong thinks so too.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 19, 2021, 10:31:30 PM
I remember how a lot of commentators at the time remarked that the "outpouring of grief" over Diana's death was more like an "outpouring of guilt". People were guilty for having been so interested in her life, for having bought the newspapers and gossip magazines that harassed her, for playing an tiny part in her death.

Yeah. There was also a lot of insinuation that the press behaviour was the consumers fault since they were demanding it. Gossip rag readers as voyeurs rather than the press being at fault for abuses of ethics. If you don't like it, why did you buy it? Who put a gun to your head and told you what paper to buy? Etc. The Guardian especially still loves to do it ("why do we [meaning you, the reader] love [thing done by the media that pays me] so much?" constructions), always a centrist feminist favourite when things go south.

Jockice

Quote from: SpiderChrist on April 19, 2021, 02:26:36 PM
I was drinking my way through a cocaine/mdma hangover in a mate's pub when I heard my first Dead Diana joke, within a few short hours of her death being announced. Simpler times.

I'd been to a party the previous night at which I'd had a big row with someone (not of my doing. The party was held over three houses and the owner of one tried to physically push me out because apparently 'my friends' had been throwing things about. They weren't my friends - she kept mentioning someone I'd never even heard of - and I objected strongly to being singled out for other people's behaviour especially when I was the easiest person there to assault. In fact I suspect that was the very reason I was singled out. I ended up clinging onto the door frame by my fingertips while being shoved just to stop myself from falling over backwards. I did receive a apology later but was told it was nothing to do with me being an easy target. Yeah right. Sure.).

..sorry forgot where I was there...oh yeah, I woke up the next morning with a hangover (totally caused by me drinking heavily after the aforementioned event) and in a shit mood, turned the telly on and they were talking about someone dying. For the first ten minutes or so I thought it was Clare Short who had died. I still can't fathom why I thought that.

Butchers Blind

The BBC will unveil the new Duke of Edinburgh during The One Show tonight.

Captain Z

Completely missed this, RIP.