Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:34:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sad news about Nikki Grahame cw: eating disorders

Started by Chedney Honks, April 11, 2021, 07:22:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kankurette

Quote from: JaDanketies on April 12, 2021, 07:29:36 PM
I always thought that prostate cancer was nothing to worry about. Old guys moan about their prostates a lot but I'd heard prostate cancer was slow-moving and you usually died of something else. So when my grandad was diagnosed with prostate cancer, I wasn't overly concerned.

It's stage four now and he's going to die of cancer very shortly. Tumours in his spine and all over the show, radiotherapy and chemo and all of that. My mum messaged me yesterday to tell me to go round and see him very asap because he is very unwell. His great-grandson and I are gonna see him tomorrow. Last time I went round I thought it might be the final time I saw him. He fell asleep about half an hour into my visit. Classic grandy.

Was thinking of my wedding speech a few days ago and I thought of a few cracks about my grandad, who is exceptionally unlikely to be there cos he'll be dead. In the spirit of this thread, I'll share these jokes about a guy you've never heard of with you.
I'm sorry about your grandad. Cancer is a cunt.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Kankurette on April 12, 2021, 10:27:33 PM
I'm sorry about your grandad. Cancer is a cunt.

Hallmark Sympathy Card Message Writers recieve internal memo about toning things down.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Zetetic on April 12, 2021, 08:17:41 PM
Certainly not if you take into account overtreatment, I believe (and that's without a serious push on it).

(Arguably mass breast screening is on a knife-edge for this, and the initial case in terms of years-lost is a lot more compelling.)

Cervical screening is also one that gives high false positives and leads to overtreatment, ie, invasive removal of abnormal cells that would never have become cancer, but for some reason it's pushed on women anyway. "Just go for it ladies, it doesn't hurt and it could save your life!" Harrumph. Bit of a bugbear of mine that one, I'll stop right there.

With prostate cancer(s) I think focusing on identifying the different types is the way to go, distinguishing the slow-growing forms from the aggressive ones that need treatment. Think that's a major focus of research, as it was with breast cancer(s) a few years back.

Kankurette

I hate cervical screening and I would happily be knocked out for it. Last time I had, I tensed up and started crying and the nurse had to stop, and she was really pissed off with me because it had only been in for a few seconds. I'm not a virgin, it's not like I've never had anything up there, but I've rarely been able to get through a smear without tensing up. Maybe I should sniff poppers next time.

bgmnts

To be fair I wouldn't want anything in me like that. I think i'm going to end up getting prostate cancer before I ever get an exam.

Blue Jam

Being cranked open with a speculum isn't pleasant, no. You fellas just get the finger, lucky you.

I've heard all those "It doesn't hurt ladies, just go for it!" messages all my life so I was shocked to find my first cervical screening excruciating and the second even worse. Turns out screening can be more painful if you've never given birth, and it can be more painful for older women. That and the fact that not all women are the same so while some may find it painless that doesn't mean we all will. I've opted out of screening completely, weighed up the options and decided I'm fairly low-risk (and cervical cancer actually isn't that common anyway) and sacked it off.

A friend of mine had a biopsy after a mammogram showed an irregularity. It turned out to be some harmless change caused by ageing. She was furious- all that worry, going under a general anaesthetic with all the risks that entails (including death), all the pain, being left with a scar, time off work recovering- and all for nothing.

Yes, screening may save lives in some cases, but I believe people need to be told about the risks and allowed to make an informed choice rather than have the choice thrust upon them with a condescending "We know best, it's for your own good, just trust us and suck it up" attitude.

Dr Margaret McCartney writes some good stuff about overscreening:

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/features/why-i-m-saying-no-smear-7577967.html

Blue Jam

Quote from: Kankurette on April 12, 2021, 10:43:27 PM
I've rarely been able to get through a smear without tensing up. Maybe I should sniff poppers next time.

You can ask your GP for a one-off prescription of valium. I did this before a smear (didn't help) and again before I got my IUD (asked for a higher dose, it worked, and I learned that it's lovely stuff).