Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 09:45:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

All Killa No Filla podcast

Started by pigamus, April 11, 2021, 06:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pigamus

Kiri Pritchard-McClean and somebody else talk about serial killers. Does anyone listen to this? Is it any good?

Pink Gregory

Long-time fan.  Kiri's great obviously but she's almost the straight-woman to Rachel who is consistently acerbic and hilarious. 

Very good at being non-sensationalist, compared to other true-crime based podcasts.

Pink Gregory

Rachel Fairburn has a special on Go Faster Stripe, and a second one...somewhere else.  Well worth checking her out, doesn't have the same profile as Kiri but absolutely deserves to.  Widely speculated by the girls themselves that that's *somewhat* down to class. 

Dusty Substance

I'm a fan. In fact, I binge listened to the three parter on Rodney Alcala only yesterday.

Serial killer podcasts are a crowded market but Rachel and Kiri do a good job of doing their own thing, being funny between the often horrific descriptions of murder scenes and they go out of their way more than most crime podcasts do to honour and remember the victims.

The podcasts could sometimes do with a bit of production or editing but they're usually well researched.

The two of them make for a good double act, with the well educated, well spoken Pritchard-McClean balancing out the working class, Northern lass persona of Rachel Fairburn. They often hint at which men on the stand-up circuit are cunts to be avoided, but never name any of them, but comedy fans might be able to work who they're referring to.

I'd recommend finding a murderer that you might already be familiar with (the Fred & Rose West three parter was a good one) and starting from there.

Pink Gregory

Maybe don't *start* with the Wests though.  It's hard going.

pigamus

Excellent, thanks all. I've thought about starting a thread in GB to sort of collate all the podcast recommendations across the boards, but I know Barry hates list threads...

paruses

I am a fan of this and the two of them. Saw KPM at the last Mach festival and can't wait to see her again. Am going to buy the Rachel Fairburn one which I think gives the profit to charity. Keep Forgetting the site but aill post a link when I do.

Podcast is really good. Has got better as the two have moved on in life and I think it's really interesting to hear them discuss that side of things. The serial killing is almost secondary and something for them to hang their stuff on.

I would say if you want in depth analysis of crimes rather than Wikipedia and associated reading then this is not for you. However, the points and issues they raise around stuff is well worth listening to.

paruses

And apart from anything they are both really, really funny.

paruses

https://gumroad.com/rachelfairburn?recommended_by=discover

It's a fiver for 65 minutes and the money goes to charity (can't remember which. She mentioned it at the end of an episode from about October.

[Edit - link fucked. Hopefully fixed]

jofo

I did enjoy this for a while and still listen but I think it's starting to dissapear up it's own arse.

There is a bit of a whif of misandry coming off Rachel which is starting to put me off.

I find the the most entertaining or interesting thing about the podcast is the convo's they have at the start then it leads into a reading out of a wikipedia artical on a serial killer.

sutin

Quote from: Pink Gregory on April 11, 2021, 06:31:18 PM
Maybe don't *start* with the Wests though.  It's hard going.

I started with that one and loved it. What did you find so hard going about it? If you're gonna listen to a podcast about the Wests, you'll probably have a fair idea about what their crimes were.

Pink Gregory

I only vaguely knew, I hadn't read Happy Like Murderers or anything.

sutin

Quote from: Pink Gregory on April 12, 2021, 01:31:45 PM
I only vaguely knew, I hadn't read Happy Like Murderers or anything.

Ah okay, fair enough. My fascination with the Wests case is why I chose those episodes first. There certainly is some very grim details.

The Ombudsman

Rachel is the main reason I listen. I think she is hilarious. Not noticed any misandry going on from her.

Jittlebags

Have they done the one about the German cannibal whose victim has actually chosen to have himself murdered and eaten? They start off chopping his cock off, cooking it, then they both have it as an hors-d'oeuvre before the cannibal has his solo Mains. Except, apparantly it was too tough to be edible. Who was the most embarased? The Cannibal or his dish of the day?

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Jittlebags on April 12, 2021, 09:38:57 PM
Have they done the one about the German cannibal whose victim has actually chosen to have himself murdered and eaten? They start off chopping his cock off, cooking it, then they both have it as an hors-d'oeuvre before the cannibal has his solo Mains. Except, apparantly it was too tough to be edible. Who was the most embarased? The Cannibal or his dish of the day?

No, they have strict rules about who they cover. Serial killers only. No spree killers or one-offs.

Frank Skinner used to go on about yer man Armin Meiwes quite a bit on his Absolute Radio Show.

Pink Gregory

I think they did Armin Meiwes for a live show

paruses

They talked about doing CaB favourite Raoul Moat for a live show even though he is a spree killer. Thought the whole media thing would be interesting not to mention Gazza.

Ornlu

Have to rank this one pretty lowly compared to most of the other true crime 'casts. As said, they spend rather too much time going on about the victims, constantly emphasising how they're not glorifying the killers, when it's like - I get it, I'm just here for the grizz. The theme music is alright I suppose.

Also the name is the worst thing about it. Why is it stylised in a cringe gangsta way? I know they're two white ladies.

neveragain

I haven't listened to this because it just sounds dreadful.

Edit: And I've tried and dithered over creating the most sensitive and respectful post, trying not to be cruel, trying not to seem uncool - because there's plenty of dark comedies I love which flirt with these topics - but the truth is I just find the whole enterprise distasteful and that's that. (I won't continually flood the thread with dissertations to this effect, just felt the need to say it once and then let you be on your way)

I listened to a few episodes in its early days and it doesn't sound like it's moved on from two people reading a Wikipedia article. It's not for me.

Kiri is a fantastic comedian though. One of those who excels at anything - theatre shows, club sets, MCing, writing, panel show appearances. Seems like a proper good egg too. She's well on her way to being massive.

I know less about Rachel. I saw her a few times when she was an open spot 6 or 7 years ago but I won't judge her on that.

DrGreggles

I like both of them, but after a while began to prefer the 'filla' to the 'killa'.
True crime pods have been done to death now (not Kiri and Rachel's fault, as they've been doing theirs for years now), and it seems that it's a genre that people can cynically jump onto because even being in that category will give you an early boost.
And as for the ones who play detective and actually think they're helping solve crimes... FUCK OFF!

I've always enjoyed the podcast, and it alerted me to check out their stand up and live shows.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 17, 2021, 10:07:07 AM

And as for the ones who play detective and actually think they're helping solve crimes... FUCK OFF!

Has anyone done a parody of Serial where they do a very sombre and serious review of breakfast cereals?