Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:21:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

'Them' (new Amazon Prime show) is not connected to Jordan Peele's 'Us'.

Started by Dusty Substance, April 11, 2021, 07:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusty Substance

I've kept seeing the poster for the new Amazon Prime series 'Them' all over IMDB and assumed it was the TV series adaptation of Peele's 2019 film 'Us'.

The poster for 'Them' uses exactly the same aesthetic, near-identical font and the title would be an ideal follow-up/spin-off to 'Us', but just found out today that they're in no way connected.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/features/them-amazon-prime-video-jordan-peele-b1829136.html

Kind of staggering that Amazon would rip off the 'Us' branding so blatantly.

Anyone seen 'Them'? Only 6.7 on IMDB at the moment which isn't promising.

St_Eddie

Dex Sawash

mjwilson

Quote from: Dusty Substance on April 11, 2021, 07:08:56 PM
I've kept seeing the poster for the new Amazon Prime series 'Them' all over IMDB and assumed it was the TV series adaptation of Peele's 2019 film 'Us'.

The poster for 'Them' uses exactly the same aesthetic, near-identical font and the title would be an ideal follow-up/spin-off to 'Us', but just found out today that they're in no way connected.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/features/them-amazon-prime-video-jordan-peele-b1829136.html

Kind of staggering that Amazon would rip off the 'Us' branding so blatantly.

Anyone seen 'Them'? Only 6.7 on IMDB at the moment which isn't promising.

Yeah I had the same reaction to the branding, assuming it was at least related to Jordan Peele in some way.

Icehaven

Mister Six

Mate of mine was saying yesterday how this has become the bete noire - no pun intended - of the woke set. Seems a bit odd given how everyone was crawling over each other to spunk on Lovecraft Country just a year ago. Also weird how Jordan Peele's ouvre isn't mentioned in that article's list of shows and films that feature violence inflicted on black people.

Sort of suspect that this first-time director has been identified as a safe target for hot takes because he's (A) not powerful and celebrated like Jordan Peele and (B) the project has been picked out for mockery ahead of time by people ragging on the poster for "ripping off Us", as if that's something he would have have any say over.

PlanktonSideburns

Remember when stranger things wholesale lifted the black room/watery floor effect from Under The Skin? That annoyed me,  the sheer lack of curiosity of doing something new with it

Ant Farm Keyboard

They actually casted the same actress who played the daughter in Us, Shahadi Wright Joseph, as the daughter in Them.

earl_sleek

phantom_power

Quote from: Mister Six on April 12, 2021, 05:22:12 AM
Mate of mine was saying yesterday how this has become the bete noire - no pun intended - of the woke set. Seems a bit odd given how everyone was crawling over each other to spunk on Lovecraft Country just a year ago. Also weird how Jordan Peele's ouvre isn't mentioned in that article's list of shows and films that feature violence inflicted on black people.

Sort of suspect that this first-time director has been identified as a safe target for hot takes because he's (A) not powerful and celebrated like Jordan Peele and (B) the project has been picked out for mockery ahead of time by people ragging on the poster for "ripping off Us", as if that's something he would have have any say over.

It depends on whether the violence is for the sake of it or to discuss wider issues I suppose. Lovecraft Country had a lot to say about racism of the past and today and the violence fed into that. The same with Peele's work. I don't know about Them

Mister Six

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on April 12, 2021, 09:09:59 AM
Remember when stranger things wholesale lifted the black room/watery floor effect from Under The Skin? That annoyed me,  the sheer lack of curiosity of doing something new with it

I only watched the pilot for Stranger Things and dropped out when I realised they'd ripped off the parallel world thing from Poltergeist (then namechecked Poltergeist as a get-out clause, I guess). It's such a fucking lazy, hacky show. I hate it.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on April 12, 2021, 09:09:59 AM

TBH, I never made it that far. My patience waned midway through the first season after they mentioned putting The Smiths on a mixtape. I mean, it's possible that The Smiths might be known by someone in a small American town in 1983, but not likely.

Ant Farm Keyboard

In many regards, Stranger Things, especially in its first season, is the ultimate Memberberry show that some dad is glad to share with his kids. "You know how I told you many times that the best kid movies were all made in the eighties, that they were funny and a little frightening? But then you look bored every time I try to show you one of them? Now, they're back as an entertaining TV show!"

Even the everyday part of the plot is lifted from stuff like Stand By Me or Freaks and Geeks rather than real memories from the era.

To be honest, the next seasons are something of an improvement, as they started to flesh out the supporting characters, rather than borrowing 80s tropes.

PlanktonSideburns