Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:25:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Any good games about? Indy? PS4

Started by wooders1978, April 12, 2021, 10:53:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wooders1978

I'm on the hunt for a goodun' that's available on PS4 - thinking Indy type games like journey, Edith finch & 'gone to the rapture

Zetetic

You could try The Outer Wilds if you're happy with something more mechanically/gamey.

You explore a fantastical mini-solar system in first-person, jetting around in your little spaceship trying to work out what happened to some people a while back.
Spoiler alert
And then the sun explodes, and you do the loop again, and keep doing, getting further using the knowledge that you've gained.
[close]
Same publishers as What Remains of Edith Finch and Journey - although it is much more of a puzzle/adventure game and a bit less of a emotionally-engaging narrative (although you're still learning about what happened to a bunch of people).

It's pretty good at cultivating a sense of discovery and also very lovely to pootle around in.

If you wanted something less puzzily, you could try Kentucky Route Zero (again same publishers) although its style of storytelling and approach to art is quite different to What Remains of Edith Finch and Journey.

The Crumb

Seconding Outer Wilds. I would say it is very emotionally engaging by the end.

There's a few free games on PSN under Play at Home atm. Abzu should be right up your street, it's basically underwater journey. A lovely thing to immerse yourself in while it lasts. People seem very keen on the Witness as well, that's more puzzle centric though.

wooders1978

Thanks gents, outer wilds it is, sounds perfect for what I am after - will get abzu too as it's in my library, for some reason I just didn't fancy it, despite loving journey

The Crumb

Cool, hope you love Outer Wilds as much as I did. One note of warning that seems to be what some people bounce off of - the controls are very inertia heavy and take a bit of getting used to, but you will learn. Just remember you're controlling acceleration not movement directly.

Mister Six

You might as well hoover up all these games for free while you can. The Witness is fantastic, and will scratch that first-person "walking around a spooky abandoned place" itch, but it also has tons of great puzzles.

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/03/17/play-at-home-2021-update-10-free-games-to-download-this-spring/

Mister Six

wooders1978

Quote from: Mister Six on April 12, 2021, 12:56:27 PM
Note the emphasis - this is not The Outer Worlds.

Got it, had the outer worlds and thought it was shit, a massive disappointment

Ferris

80 Days is a great little game.

Loved The Witness as well, spiritual successor to Myst if that was your thing (but with puzzles, and they're good ones).

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I gave up on The Witness because I was getting very, very bored. It is free, though, so it's worth a try.

St_Eddie

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis is the best Indy game.

Mister Six

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 12, 2021, 02:08:34 PM
80 Days is a great little game.

Oh, I loved 80 Days, but it's not an Edith Finch-type walkabout thing. Beautifully written though. I still feel a bit bereft that I'll never get to see how some of those "historical events" unfolded, especially the ones in Africa and Italy.

Ferris

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on April 12, 2021, 02:31:46 PM
I gave up on The Witness because I was getting very, very bored. It is free, though, so it's worth a try.

Free? I think I paid 8 quid for it!!

Just put my foot through my PS4 and sent Jules Verne the bill.

Quote from: Mister Six on April 12, 2021, 03:17:29 PM
Oh, I loved 80 Days, but it's not an Edith Finch-type walkabout thing. Beautifully written though. I still feel a bit bereft that I'll never get to see how some of those "historical events" unfolded, especially the ones in Africa and Italy.

Yes fair point, didn't think of that. I loved Everybody's Gone to the Rapture which has probably already been mentioned in here but I missed it.

Also Contradiction: Spot the Liar! which is an FMV/puzzle game but enjoyably bonkers and eccentric. Really good fun, and no one seems to take themselves (or the game) too seriously. Also very nostalgic for '90s murder mystery TV shows, halfway between Jonathan Creek and The Crystal Maze.

Mister Six

druss

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 12, 2021, 03:15:26 PM
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis is the best Indy game.
Nah, Uncharted is the best Indiana Jones game(s).

Consignia

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 12, 2021, 03:15:26 PM
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis: The Action Game is the best Indy game.