Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:37:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Thunder Force - 2021

Started by Artie Fufkin, April 12, 2021, 12:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artie Fufkin

frajer

Had Seal's Kiss From a Rose in my head all weekend after Netflix hammered the trailer.

Like the idea of childhood pals becoming middle-aged superheroes, but the trailer was so flat that even my zombified Friday night brain cautioned me against it.

olliebean

To be fair, it's not as bad as I was expecting. The first half hour or so is mostly OK, even got a couple of decent laughs from it - after that it's pretty much just a bog-standard, boring-as-fuck, couldn't-be-arsed-to-think-of-a-story superhero flick.

Dex Sawash

Fry

Quote from: olliebean on April 12, 2021, 05:22:36 PM
To be fair, it's not as bad as I was expecting. The first half hour or so is mostly OK, even got a couple of decent laughs from it
This is surprising to read because all I could think was how in the first 20 minutes there wasn't a single attempt to tell a joke. Or at least I couldn't identify one. I had to double check it was meant to be a comedy.

Lockdown has me smoking lots of weed at the moment, so I'm pretty much able to sit through any old dross. Switched this off though. Absolute turd.

olliebean

Quote from: Fry on April 13, 2021, 09:56:43 AM
This is surprising to read because all I could think was how in the first 20 minutes there wasn't a single attempt to tell a joke. Or at least I couldn't identify one. I had to double check it was meant to be a comedy.

Lockdown has me smoking lots of weed at the moment, so I'm pretty much able to sit through any old dross. Switched this off though. Absolute turd.

Well, they weren't jokes exactly. They were really just characters talking nonsense.

Artie Fufkin

The only bit that raised a vague smile was when Crab-Man scuttled off sideways at one point.

lipsink

Yeah, this has the same flat feeling that loads of Netflix/Amazon "comedies" have. The only other one I can think of right now is 'Coming 2 America' but the Will Ferrel 'Eurovision' movie just felt the same. Just no atmosphere and as if the actors weren't even in the same scenes as each other.

Ant Farm Keyboard

The same can basically be said of every comedy on which Ben Falcone, Melissa McCarthy's husband, has a significant hand. I don't know if he has terrible taste, or if she has him involved on projects that were already terrible, but their track record together is awful.

He's directed and written Tammy, The Boss, Life of the Party, Thunder Force, and the forthcoming Margie Claus. He's also produced The Happytime Murders and directed Superintelligence.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on April 13, 2021, 11:03:26 AM
The only bit that raised a vague smile was when Crab-Man scuttled off sideways at one point.

https://youtu.be/GkXCyRFotpg?t=427

Dunno why anyone on here would watch shit like this.

Mister Six

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on April 18, 2021, 04:07:07 AM
The same can basically be said of every comedy on which Ben Falcone, Melissa McCarthy's husband, has a significant hand.

An article on exactly that here.

I remember kind of liking Tammy, although I think I watched it on a plane so I was probably half asleep/half-cut and therefore a lot more forgiving than I ought to be. Wouldn't touch this with a 10-foot shitty bargepole though.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on April 18, 2021, 04:07:07 AM
He's directed and written Tammy, The Boss, Life of the Party, Thunder Force, and the forthcoming Margie Claus. He's also produced The Happytime Murders and directed Superintelligence.

Looking at the figures, I think they've all done OK - budget of $30m, box office of $60m+. I think it fits into the Scary Movies class, crap films but low budget and enough non-threatening appeal to turn a profit.

So maybe not a crap director, just one who's good at a particular remit. I don't know why Im defending him, and you still shouldn't see those films.