Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:52:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

NHS Covid-19 app update blocked

Started by Fambo Number Mive, April 12, 2021, 04:57:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Another COVID fuckup by this piss stain of a UK government.

QuoteAn update to England and Wales's contact tracing app has been blocked for breaking the terms of an agreement made with Apple and Google.

The plan had been to ask users to upload logs of venue check-ins - carried out via poster barcode scans - if they tested positive for the virus. This could be used to warn others.

The update had been timed to coincide with the relaxation of lockdown rules.

But the two firms had explicitly banned such a function from the start.

Under the terms that all health authorities signed up to in order to use Apple and Google's privacy-centric contact-tracing tech, they had to agree not to collect any location data via the software.

As a result, Apple and Google refused to make the update available for download from their app stores last week, and have instead kept the old version live.

When questioned, the Department of Health declined to discuss how this misstep had occurred.

Scotland has avoided this pitfall because it released a separate product - Check In Scotland - to share venue histories, rather than trying to build the functionality into its Protect Scotland contact-tracing app...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-56713017

The government are hoping everyone is too sad about Prince Philip to notice their latest fuckup.

bgmnts

Lol who cares covid is over get down the pub and get pissed ya loser.

Zetetic

Check In Scotland looks fucking terrible from a privacy point of view.

Cuellar

Better or worse than just wanging your phone number and email down on a piece of paper at the door?

Zetetic

Regarding the "NHS Covid-19" app (used by Wales and England) - I can't work out if the log of venues is explicitly associated with an individual or not.

(Difficult from a technical standpoint to upload a log that's both truly anonymous and meaningful to TTP though.)

thenoise

Quote from: Cuellar on April 12, 2021, 05:17:32 PM
Better or worse than just wanging your phone number and email down on a piece of paper at the door?
How would that make any of Boris's pals richer?

MojoJojo

I'm annoyed by the BBC report. I assumed the the login behaviour always shared implicit location data, and it existed during the last lockdown.

And the fucking cheek of suggesting that Google and apple have refused an update because of sharing location data, when both have had scandals about collecting location data surreptitiously.

Apple and Google are the shits of collecting location info and the government are the completely incompetent defence against them we have. Fuck this story.

Chedney Honks

I haven't used the app in about three months. It didn't ever give me a single notification that I'd been in close contact and I've been out to work seeing people pretty much every day for the past twelve months, at various locations. The people responsible for the app should be in front of the Hague.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Chedney Honks on April 13, 2021, 05:29:12 AM
I haven't used the app in about three months. It didn't ever give me a single notification that I'd been in close contact and I've been out to work seeing people pretty much every day for the past twelve months, at various locations. The people responsible for the app should be in front of the Hague.

Reported

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteThe people responsible for the app should be in front of the Hague.

Or they should have to witness their loved ones die. No better than doing faulty work on the railway lines.