Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:54:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Daunte Wright shooting

Started by bgmnts, April 13, 2021, 01:03:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-56726543

Fucking hell. Whilst the Chauvin trial is happening as well. These people just cant seem to go a day without murdering a black person.

The excuse being the officer meant to draw a taser but get fucked thats stupid.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/minneapolis-braces-for-another-night-of-unrest-after-daunte-wright-shooting-11618262735 More riots and protests as expected. 

Bronzy

Sounds like the police officer was undaunted

Mister Six

You know when someone - someone who isn't a mad axe murderer or something, just some bloke with a warrant out on them - runs away from US cops, and the cops shoot them fatally in the back?

Why don't the police just... let them run away? Call in backup, give chase, sure, but why resort immediately to fatal violence? Why sending someone's life preferable to them staving off arrest for a few more days?

steve98

She fucked up: thought she was firing her taser. If you're gonna give guns to cops who are women called "Kim", don't be surprised when they fuck up and folk get killed. Just common sense.

Chedney Honks

I remember when I worked as a chef and I meant to season the scored fat on a piece of pork belly but I used arsenic and killed all the customers.

Oops!

Buelligan

Spect you saw this one too, on the BBC yesterday but too nothing and normal to be talked about after a few hours.  Why is it continuing?  The video is very instructive, IMO the victim was lucky to get through it alive, I'm guessing he did so only because he stopped in a public well-lit area, kept his hands in plain sight at all times, was a uniformed, serving, soldier and complied with them at all times.  Has to stop.

wooders1978

Anyone else sick of hearing about that daft country at this point?

Buelligan

El Unicornio, mang

The fact they they were stopped in the first place because of an illegal air freshener in their car and ended up dead makes it even more diabolical.

Although I also saw this the other day which is the sort of thing that explains why so many cops are utterly terrified and trigger happy all the time

https://www.news.com.au/world/north-america/horror-moment-drug-dealer-murders-us-police-office-video/news-story/0f354a7ce867a5f7d2dd9d3655112f69

wooders1978

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on April 13, 2021, 12:25:28 PM
The fact they they were stopped in the first place because of an illegal air freshener in their car and ended up dead makes it even more diabolical.

Although I also saw this the other day which is the sort of thing that explains why so many cops are utterly terrified and trigger happy all the time

https://www.news.com.au/world/north-america/horror-moment-drug-dealer-murders-us-police-office-video/news-story/0f354a7ce867a5f7d2dd9d3655112f69

The air freshener thing is apparently false, he was pulled for an expired registration tag, (whatever that is, car tax I guess?) They found he had an outstanding warrant and started to arrest him & he tried to leg it & got away but not before getting shot by someone who extremely stupidly thought her gun was a fucking taser

bgmnts

Quote from: wooders1978 on April 13, 2021, 12:55:11 PM
The air freshener thing is apparently false, he was pulled for an expired registration tag, (whatever that is, car tax I guess?) They found he had an outstanding warrant and started to arrest him & he tried to leg it & got away but not before getting shot by someone who extremely stupidly thought her gun was a fucking taser

Due to covid apparently the DMV have a hude backlog of registering car tags or whatever the fuck they are so coppers have been told to give a bit of lenience because a LOT of people now have unregistered cars and licenses etc.

Unless you're black of course in which case you're fucked. And weirdly a glock weighs like 4 times more than a taser and is usually yellow  so its just weird as fuck.

Fambo Number Mive

The officer who shot her had been a police officer for 26 years as well.How did they not know the obvious differences between a gun and taser? We're not talking about someone just out of the academy.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: wooders1978 on April 13, 2021, 12:55:11 PM

Oh OK.

But yeah a taser weighs 8 ounces, a Glock weighs 34 so more than four times heavier, and with a much heavier trigger pull. Not sure how the two could be confused.

Although I've seen Police Academy 1 through 7, not that surprised really.

MojoJojo

Redstate having one of those remarkable sane moments with an article "Why Is Our Kneejerk Reaction to Blame Black Men With Guns?".

Of course the comments are all that it was the victims fault for not immediately complying with the police.

bgmnts

The officer resigned.

Fitting punishment I suppose.

Fucking hell actually arrested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIa9KzGzU-k&ab_channel=BBCNews

touchingcloth

Barry Brodd - a "use-of-force expert"'s testimony during the Chauvin trial was an object lesson in police brutality. Shocking though not unsurprising how easily he justified Chauvin's reactions.

A crowd was there, which would have confused Derke. Floyd had taken drugs, so it's reasonable to assume he might have had superhuman strength, that's just science. If he wanted the police to stop strangling him, he should have just rested comfortably with his hands in the small of his back.

Buelligan

Quote from: Bazooka on April 14, 2021, 10:02:49 PM
Resigned and charged.

What if someone failed to recognise the charger correctly and used a gatling gun by mistake?  Where would the law stand on that?

Bazooka

Adrenaline is one hell of a drug.

idunnosomename

not sure if anyone watched the bodycam video. he flees and is pushed back into his car, and she yells "TASER! TASER! TASER!" (which is what you do to make sure your colleagues know you're going to do the electric thing so they know and don't get hit by it) then pulls out the little black glock and shoots him and is "OH SHIT I SHOT HIM"

so she's been charged with second-degree manslaughter, which is essentially a gross negligence rather than recklessness (it's a Washington state thing, researching, most states don't have degrees in manslaughter)

i mean this is scary because firstly you have someone with a lethal weapon (black) who cant tell it apart from a dangerous incapacitation device (bright fucking yellow) and secondly, someone who is so threatened by black men she pulls a gun on them and shoots them on reflex.

there's a lot of complicated factors here, and while I don't think it's murder, it's serious manslaughter. Potter also worked in police unions to get other coppers off charges of negligence. she should go down for a very long time and the police should be seriously downscaled with the weapons they give to fucking idiots.

fat chance eh

blue reel

He was not pushed back into the car.  He violently broke free from the officer that was trying to place him in handcuffs, jumped back into the car in an attempt to drive away. 

Washington state law does not apply, as this incident happenned in the state of Minnesota.  Brooklyn Center, Washington County, Minnesota.

Officer may have felt threatened by the fact that they were dealing with someone who had an active arrest warrant for violating the condition of his bail on charges of aggravated armed robbery, and was attempting to escape by driving through 3 police officers.

idunnosomename

oh fucksake me on what fucking state it happened in.

and yeah he does definitely flee of his own volition after he initiates a struggle. but he shouldn't have been fucking shot for that. utterly shocking

bgmnts

Quote from: idunnosomename on April 15, 2021, 12:05:55 AM

Yeah within spitting distance of the Chauvin trial.

And yeah the victim blaming is weird shit.

wooders1978

Quote from: idunnosomename on April 15, 2021, 12:05:55 AM

and yeah he does definitely flee of his own volition after he initiates a struggle. but he shouldn't have been fucking shot for that. utterly shocking

He was only shot due to gross incompetence though to be fair
I do agree that at the very least a review of who is allowed to be armed or not in the us police force, though apparently she's been a serving officer for over 20 years - crazy

Buelligan

On the being armed thing, what is the point of a police force?  If it's to protect and serve the public good, I think it may be useful to look at how many deaths and serious injuries the police inflict whilst ostensibly serving that good.  We need to weigh that up. 

Logically, there would be no crime at all if everyone was dead but is that a useful solution to crime?

idunnosomename

This next one even more bizarre. How do you square ITS MY 2ND AMENDMENT TO OPEN CARRY MY ARMS IN WAL-MART SNOWCUCK and policeman was ok to shoot 13 year old because he was holding a gun mere seconds before a policeman shot him

bgmnts

Quote from: Buelligan on April 15, 2021, 09:39:38 AM
Logically, there would be no crime at all if everyone was dead but is that a useful solution to crime?

https://youtu.be/6KVO378tjsw?t=536

bgmnts

Quote from: idunnosomename on April 16, 2021, 12:08:16 PM
This next one even more bizarre. How do you square ITS MY 2ND AMENDMENT TO OPEN CARRY MY ARMS IN WAL-MART SNOWCUCK and policeman was ok to shoot 13 year old because he was holding a gun mere seconds before a policeman shot him

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56768217

I mean, once that guy shot up that school full of six year olds and people were STILL pro-gun, they were done. The country is done, the experiment failed as miserably as possible. Get it nuked.

Thomas

Quote from: bgmnts on April 16, 2021, 01:25:08 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56768217

I mean, once that guy shot up that school full of six year olds and people were STILL pro-gun, they were done. The country is done, the experiment failed as miserably as possible. Get it nuked.

That footage - like all the bodycam footage we see - demonstrates the impossibility of responding in the correct way to these police officers. That officer demands 'show me your hands'. When the boy raises his hands, he is shot.

Similarly, in the footage of Caron Nazario - pulled over at gunpoint for a minor traffic violation[nb]that hadn't actually been committed. After a brutal arrest he was released without charge.[/nb] - the officer demands that Nazario get out of the car. But Nazario seems to know that if he moves his hand out of site to undo his seatbelt, he will be shot.

Nazario, with his empty palms in the air, also calmly explains to the officer, 'I'm honestly afraid to get out'. The officer - aggressive, excitable - replies 'yeah, dude, you should be'.

Armed US police are apparently experts at escalating a situation.