Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:44:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Daunte Wright shooting

Started by bgmnts, April 13, 2021, 01:03:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BritishHobo

Quote from: Buelligan on April 13, 2021, 07:47:58 AM
Spect you saw this one too, on the BBC yesterday but too nothing and normal to be talked about after a few hours.  Why is it continuing?  The video is very instructive, IMO the victim was lucky to get through it alive, I'm guessing he did so only because he stopped in a public well-lit area, kept his hands in plain sight at all times, was a uniformed, serving, soldier and complied with them at all times.  Has to stop.

It's horrific and gut-wrenching and so telling to see these videos, where the officer is so angry and so aggressive in the face of either calmness or a restrained fear. It reminds me of that horrible one from a few years back where the guy lying on the ground got shot to death because he was struggling to follow the instructions of an increasingly unhinged police officer. Surely the entire goal should be de-escalation, not ramping the panic up 5000%.

BritishHobo

What Thomas said, basically:

Quote from: Thomas on April 16, 2021, 01:47:17 PM
That footage - like all the bodycam footage we see - demonstrates the impossibility of responding in the correct way to these police officers. That officer demands 'show me your hands'. When the boy raises his hands, he is shot.

Similarly, in the footage of Caron Nazario - pulled over at gunpoint for a minor traffic violation[nb]that hadn't actually been committed. After a brutal arrest he was released without charge.[/nb] - the officer demands that Nazario get out of the car. But Nazario seems to know that if he moves his hand out of site to undo his seatbelt, he will be shot.

Nazario, with his empty palms in the air, also calmly explains to the officer, 'I'm honestly afraid to get out'. The officer - aggressive, excitable - replies 'yeah, dude, you should be'.

Armed US police are apparently experts at escalating a situation.

Thomas

Quote from: BritishHobo on April 16, 2021, 01:50:00 PM
It reminds me of that horrible one from a few years back where the guy lying on the ground got shot to death because he was struggling to follow the instructions of an increasingly unhinged police officer.

I was thinking of that case, too. Was it in a hotel corridor in Las Vegas or something? The officer wildly demanding that the victim contort himself into several positions at once, and then shooting him when he moves his hand.

idunnosomename

Shoots the lad goes up to him and asks if hes okay

Have american coppers all simultaneously forgotten what a gun is and how it works, or were they always this fucking dumb.

TASER! TASER! TASER! *blam*

Thomas

Quote from: idunnosomename on April 16, 2021, 02:28:01 PM

shoot first ask questions later

Buelligan

Saw this on twitter and thought it was very well put -

Quote from: Edward Ongweso Jr@bigblackjacobinSo when a kid has nothing in their hands, it's a gun.

When a kid has a phone in their hands, it's a gun.

When a kid has their hands in their pocket, it's a gun.

But when an officer kills someone with a gun, actually you have to understand it was a taser and they were stressed out

https://twitter.com/bigblackjacobin/status/1382796324697903105

Buelligan

And now this -

Quote from: Vice in 2018Last week, the beginning of an explosive corruption trial involving eight members of Baltimore's elite Gun Trace Task Force revealed that a handful of Baltimore cops allegedly kept fake guns in their patrol cars to plant on innocent people—a failsafe they could use if they happened to shoot an unarmed suspect, the Baltimore Sun reports.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/8xvzwp/baltimore-cops-carried-toy-guns-to-plant-on-people-they-shot-trial-reveals-vgtrn

monkfromhavana

Why don't they just have a second group of cops who follow round other cops. When the cops shoot an unarmed naked blind pensioner someone for not doffing their cap to the police officer the second group of cops will be there to shoot the first lot.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: idunnosomename on April 16, 2021, 02:28:01 PM
The murderer cop is devastated apparently. I hope his life goes to total shit and he never recovers.

Dog Botherer

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on April 18, 2021, 08:23:04 PM
The murderer cop is devastated apparently. I hope his life goes to total shit and he never recovers.

hope he tries to taze a fly that lands on his head and has an unfortunate mixup

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Dog Botherer on April 18, 2021, 08:34:55 PM
hope he tries to taze a fly that lands on his head and has an unfortunate mixup
oh no no I hope he lives into his 90s

forever haunted

no amount of alcohol or drugs can make it go away

bgmnts

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on April 18, 2021, 08:48:30 PM
oh no no I hope he lives into his 90s

forever haunted

no amount of alcohol or drugs can make it go away

As if they give a shit.

idunnosomename

maybe if he has a 13 year old child he could let the victim's family shoot them? might make him feel better

steve98

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on April 18, 2021, 08:23:04 PM

A bit mean. We all make mistakes.

C_Larence

Quote from: Thomas on April 16, 2021, 01:55:14 PM
I was thinking of that case, too. Was it in a hotel corridor in Las Vegas or something? The officer wildly demanding that the victim contort himself into several positions at once, and then shooting him when he moves his hand.

Yes. He was given various contradictory commands, including being told to keep his hands in the air and crawl along the floor towards them. When his trousers started to fall down he moved his hand back to pull them up and was instantly shot by a psycho cop with an AR-15 that had the words "You're fucked" etched into it. The cop was acquitted of any wrongdoing, was never fired but instead "medically retired", and will collect $36,000 a year in a pension for the rest of his life.