Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:00:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shirley Williams Dead

Started by Fambo Number Mive, April 13, 2021, 06:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Former cabinet member in the Wilson and Callaghan governments and one of the members of the Gang of Four Shirley Williams died yesterday, aged 90.

From Wikipedia:

QuoteShe served as Minister for Education and Science from 1967 to 1969 and Minister of State for Home Affairs from 1969 to 1970. She served as Shadow Home Secretary from 1971 and 1973. In 1974, she became Secretary of State for Prices and Consumer Protection in Harold Wilson's cabinet. When Wilson was succeeded by James Callaghan, she served as Secretary of State for Education and Science and Paymaster General from 1976 to 1979. She lost her seat to the Conservative Party at the 1979 general election.

Williams was the first SDP Member of Parliament, winning the 1981 by-election but losing her seat in 1983. She became a member of the House of Lords in 1993.

I remember footage of her on Youtube telling an audience member "not to be cheeky". I heard her speak once but I can't remember what she said, she was a bit short with one of the people who asked her questions.

Dex Sawash

jamiefairlie

There's nothing more 70s than having a minister for prices.

Pinball

Orange Drink. Available for 100 Rubles from The Shop on The High Street in Your Town.

This advert has been brought to you by the Ministry of Prices.

Buelligan

I'm just hoping she wasn't stabbed. 

Sorry Dex.  Couldn't contain myself.  Tried.

pigamus

Tom Baker said he was once attacked on a train by somebody who thought he was Shirley Williams

We've all been there

steve98

Shirley not, he's nothing like her.

poodlefaker

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on April 13, 2021, 06:33:34 PM
Former cabinet member in the Wilson and Callaghan governments and one of the members of the Gang of Four Shirley Williams died yesterday, aged 90.

First Andy Gill, now Shirley. Shame.

druss

Hahaha delighted that she is dead.

idunnosomename

there was a massive wad of cum jettisoned over her this morning on Radio 4 when I was holding off getting up and having a piss.

i mean whatever RIP did some bad things and some other things

druss

Fucked Spider-man, apparently.

Buelligan

Can't help feeling she should've done this years ago.  Just glad she got there at last.

dothestrand

If you're on the left, you probably dislike her with a passion. On the right, perhaps a grudging respect (if you agree the SDP facilitated Thatcher's landslide in 83). In the centre, you probably see her as the female PM we never had.

She had an interesting life and career and did more good than bad. She is a relative colossus compared to this generation of politicians - on all sides.

Captain Z

Sorry to disappoint you but no, William's not dead.

dissolute ocelot

Wow of that least successful Gang of Four, Bill Rodgers and David Owen are both still with us. Being splitters is good for longevity. (Although with Owen there's the suspicion he sold his soul to Satan.)

Buelligan

I met David Owen in a bookshop once.  I remember I met him but I don't remember anything about it.  Not even the vaguest impression of that meeting (apart from the fact that it happened).  Did he drug me I wonder?