Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:24:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

SHIPJAM 2 - SHIP SEIZED

Started by Fambo Number Mive, April 14, 2021, 11:06:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteEgypt will impound the giant container ship that blocked the Suez Canal last month until its Japanese owner pays $900m (£652m) in compensation.

One of the Ever Given's insurers, UK Club, said the Suez Canal Authority had rejected its offer to settle the claim.

It described the claim, which includes $300m for a salvage bonus and $300m for loss of reputation, as "extraordinarily large" and "largely unsupported".

The Ever Given is anchored in the Great Bitter Lake, the canal's midway point...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-56743556

The crew will be unable to leave the ship until compensation is paid, according to UK Club. I feel sorry for the crew.

I don't know anything about ship salvage, not sure why a salvage bonus needs to be paid. Not sure how much negotiation there is over the amount to be paid. Who will back down?

seepage

steveh

Given that the ship was under the control of a Suez Canal pilot at the time I wonder how that fits into liability and compensation.

Icehaven

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on April 14, 2021, 11:06:33 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-56743556

I don't know anything about ship salvage, not sure why a salvage bonus needs to be paid. Not sure how much negotiation there is over the amount to be paid. Who will back down?

I think a more appropriate name would be the Trying It On bonus. Isn't this kind of thing standard in the world of compo, make an outrageously excessive claim first and then gradually let it whittle down rather than go in asking only what you're entitled to and risk that being whittled down?

Is the ship and whatever's on it (not counting the crew...) even worth $900 million?

madhair60

isn't this sort of kidnapping a bit

Zetetic

buzby

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on April 14, 2021, 11:06:33 AM
Originally Marine Salvage contracts were based on 'no recovery - no pay' terms. As pollution from wrecks became more of an issue in the 20th century, the International Salvage Convention agreement was introduced in 1989, and Article 14 of that agreement includes a 'Special Compensation' clause to be paid by the shipowner to the salvor for their "expenses in preventing and minimizing pollution of a vessel or its cargo". so that even if they were not successfully recovered, the salvor was compensated for their expenses in preventing environmental damge as part of the recovery effort. This usually averaged out at about of 26% of the P&I insured value of the vessel and it's cargo.

As an alternative to the compensation offered by Article 14 of the ISC, shipowners and salvors have the option to invoke the SCOPIC (Special Compensation Protection & Indemnity Club) clause in the salvage contract, which avoids a number of the legal ramifiactions associated with contracts that use Article 14 and offers the salvor a $3millon upfront security payment plus a bonus of 25% of the P&I insured value of the vessel and it's cargo.
https://www.marine-salvage.com/media-information/articles/archive/the-mystery-of-scopic-unravelled/

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: steveh on April 14, 2021, 12:31:10 PM
Given that the ship was under the control of a Suez Canal pilot at the time I wonder how that fits into liability and compensation.

Yeah, this is weird. "We've crashed your ship into the side of the canal. Here's a big bill."

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Pretty much illegal detention bordering on kidnapping.

I wonder what will win out, respect for human life, or desire for money.

bgmnts

I hope they sent the Japanese firm a letter written with cutout letters demanding money. Maybe with a chopped off finger as a bonus.

Icehaven

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on April 14, 2021, 02:32:24 PM
Yeah, this is weird. "We've crashed your ship into the side of the canal. Here's a big bill."

It's a sort of maritime variation on crash for cash.

Zetetic

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 14, 2021, 02:34:52 PM
I wonder what will win out, respect for human life, or desire for money.
It's going to take a while to find out - Mohammad Aisha of the MV Aman has been stuck there for four years at this point.

Ferris

Lots of very wealthy lost money as a result of all this and someone somewhere is responsible. Is it the person driving the ship? The corporation that owns it? The very concept of canals?

Start suing and see where you end up, that's the ticket.

Endicott

Sir, I find you, the very concept of a canal, to be at fault, and demand that you cease and desist, forthwith.

Ferris

Quote from: Endicott on April 14, 2021, 03:39:33 PM
Sir, I find you, the very concept of a canal, to be at fault, and demand that you cease and desist, forthwith.

And maybe the concept of canals wriggles out of it on a technicality, but the lawyers suggest a class action against anyone who helped construct the Suez Canal (specifically 1952-present day) is a better bet. Perhaps a side injunction against the year 2021 just to keep your eye in.

Keep on suing, we'll get that lucre back somehow.

Blumf

Quote from: Endicott on April 14, 2021, 03:39:33 PM

Suez canal is found to be registered as a drainage ditch, for tax purposes, so gets off. Meanwhile, Venice has to be wound up and dissolved.

touchingcloth

Did the pilot crash the ship into the bank, or did the bank crash into the ship?

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: touchingcloth on April 14, 2021, 03:55:48 PM
Did the pilot crash the ship into the bank, or did the bank crash into the ship?

Reminds me of Mr Morris in Friday Night Dinner "Your house just broke my light"

Ferris

Quote from: touchingcloth on April 14, 2021, 03:55:48 PM

Now we're cooking!

Sebastian Cobb

Really the ship owners should've demanded a boat guy instead of a plane guy.

dissolute ocelot

Jason Patric is responsible for most ship-based disasters, blame him.

idunnosomename

WELL IF YOUR BLOODY BOAT WASNT SO BLOODY BIG MAYBE

steveh

They finally settled the insurance claim and three months later the Ever Given is being allowed to sail. As part of the settlement the canal will also be given a new, more powerful tug boat.

idunnosomename

Finally my sex arses are on their way

pigamus

That'll be a new and more powerful tug alright

JamesTC

Was starting to get some bad chafing from the rudimentary sex arse that I had constructed out of papier mache and sticky back plastic.

Jasha

Wouldn't have happened if Steven Seagull was ships cook

Flouncer

Big Mac would have sorted it out NAE FUCKIN' BOTHER