Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:48:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What is indigenous white British culture?

Started by Chedney Honks, April 14, 2021, 12:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

AllisonSays

That's indigenous Dutch culture isn't it?

Buelligan

flotemysost

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on April 18, 2021, 12:01:42 AM
I linked to your post because you used some of the terms/views being criticised to explain your experiences and concerns. I hope you didn't see anything critical in that, my point was only that your post was very good and an example of the kind of insights and sentiments that are easily thrown out when people talk about experience, identity and class as pure abstraction. I meant I'd rather be wrong about ideas if people treated what you've described seriously, than right about ideas and see everything you mentioned ignored. I appreciate the response.

Got you, thanks - sorry for misunderstanding and appreciate the explanation.

And yes, strongly agree with everything in the rest of your post re: responses to colonialism.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: flotemysost on April 18, 2021, 09:24:21 AM
Got you, thanks - sorry for misunderstanding and appreciate the explanation.

And yes, strongly agree with everything in the rest of your post re: responses to colonialism.

Just for clarity I was also agreeing with your post (which was great and your later one that I'm going to try and find a bit of time to reply to) and saying that you cannot be a good Marxist and not deal with racism or understand the impact and role racism has on peoples lives.

H-O-W-L

According to the Romans, indigenous British culture involves dwelling in swamps in the nude and viewing metal as a sign of wealth. Sounds fucking beautiful.

Kankurette

derek stitt

Quote from: touchingcloth on April 18, 2021, 08:15:54 AM
I've never seen a black Brit doing a

A lifetime ago I am sure I knew a woman from Ghana who was involved in the  Loyal Order, in her home country, in some capacity. More a trivial point than anything else. She must be in her nineties now if she is still with us, hope she is.

thenoise

Incidentally, why does 'white culture' have to be exclusively 'white'? Aren't there some things that 'we' share with other cultures? Why does aaaahhh but Black people do that too aaaahhhh negate it?

sorry if someone already said this i couldn't be bothered to read the whole thread

Kankurette

That wasn't me going 'ahhhh', my point was that certain things are associated with white people/white culture when the reality is sometimes more complex.