Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 06:13:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

This Time with Alan Partridge series 2

Started by Wayman C. McCreery, April 14, 2021, 03:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mippy

H-O-W-L

fucking hell we live in a world where literal dozens knew that Savile was being the archbastard he was and still appeared on TV to molest millions and yet people are LEGITIMATELY fussing over the realism of the idea that alan partridge could reappear on the BBC after being LEGALLY CLEARED of an accidental death? fucking hell.

FredNurke

Surely if it's legitimate then there's no problem?

wrec

Edmonds took less than two years off after one killing and multiple maimings

H-O-W-L

i still have nightmares about the whir of edmonds' HIND-D's blades cutting through the air as he fired upon the local motorway.

kalowski

pigamus

Quote from: wrec on April 19, 2021, 09:22:07 PM
Edmonds took less than two years off after one killing and multiple maimings

I've alway thought it a bit odd that Edmonds alone is always held responsible for Michael Lush's death. Maybe that was rather convenient for the BBC as well.

peteprodge

Quote from: H-O-W-L on April 19, 2021, 09:05:17 PM
fucking hell we live in a world where literal dozens knew that Savile was being the archbastard he was and still appeared on TV to molest millions and yet people are LEGITIMATELY fussing over the realism of the idea that alan partridge could reappear on the BBC after being LEGALLY CLEARED of an accidental death? fucking hell.

Thomas

Quote from: purlieu on April 18, 2021, 11:37:47 PM
If we're doing in-universe continuity, how was Alan Partridge the person picked to be a replacement presenter on a nationally broadcast BBC magazine programme? There are so many people with a history of competent TV presentation who would have been higher up on the list than him.

Career-wise, the rise and fall of TV Alan, from sports desk news anchor to wannabe chat show host with occasional other TV spots, to local radio presenter, and eventually local digital radio presenter works really well, and everything since then has basically been nonsense. It's not a huge issue, because it's produced some of the funniest Partridge material, and added a lot to his character, but it doesn't hold up to much scrutiny. While there have certainly been forgotten TV presenters who've had sudden comebacks for one reason or another, Alan's time in the limelight was very, very short, and certainly not enough that he'd go from being a North Norfolk Digital DJ to suddenly having a published autobiography and a TV spot promoting it, getting documentary programmes commissioned, and ending up hosting a prime time TV show.

I usually care too much about continuity, but I'm happy with Alan's life. They only 'headcanon' I have to indulge is that On the Hour and The Day Today must have been ordinary shows in Partridge World.[nb]the absurd versions we all have on our Chris Morris shelves - with their resurrected first wives and bomb dogs, and indeed the extended Brass Eye universe - are from a different branch of the Partridge Multiverse[/nb] Additionally, Alan must have had a very good hair transplant between IAP2 and Alpha Papa.

Also I reject that IAP was a documentary/reconstruction, that's just silly.

EDIT: What did James Stewart do?

kalowski

Quote from: Thomas on April 19, 2021, 10:01:15 PM

EDIT: What did James Stewart do?
QuoteBoth Stewart and Fonda's children later noted that their favorite activity when not working seemed to be quietly sharing time together while building and painting model airplanes, a hobby they had taken up in New York years earlier. Besides building model airplanes, Stewart and Fonda liked to build and fly kites, play golf, and reminisce about the "old days."

Echo Valley 2-6809

I don't think anyone here's doing that.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

It carries no internal logic anyway as those things aren't even loose thematic equivalents.

purlieu

No, but people are suggesting that Alan being a nobody for 24 years, whose career effectively ended on him accidentally killing a guest, makes him an unlikely host for a mainstream programme, which makes for at least mildly interesting discussion to pre-empt a series that we don't have much info on yet.

I usually care too much about continuity, but I'm happy with Alan's life. They only 'headcanon' I have to indulge is that On the Hour and The Day Today must have been ordinary shows in Partridge World.[nb]the absurd versions we all have on our Chris Morris shelves - with their resurrected first wives and bomb dogs, and indeed the extended Brass Eye universe - are from a different branch of the Partridge Multiverse[/nb] Additionally, Alan must have had a very good hair transplant between IAP2 and Alpha Papa.

Even if you subscribe to the headcanon theory that OTH and TDT were spoof news shows that Alan was pranked into taking part in, it doesn't explain why Alan's wife died and then rose as one of the undead in OTH.

Also, Lynn is 50 in IAP episode Alan Attraction. Which makes her 72 in the first series of This Time.

Thomas

Quote from: purlieu on April 19, 2021, 10:51:21 PM
Even if you subscribe to the headcanon theory that OTH and TDT were spoof news shows that Alan was pranked into taking part in, it doesn't explain why Alan's wife died and then rose as one of the undead in OTH.

I don't go for that, either. When the Alan of I, Partridge recounts his time on OTH and TDT, he's talking about two ordinary news shows. The comedy versions we're privy to - featuring Alan's dead wife - didn't happen in the Partridgeverse.

A bit like how In the Loop didn't take place within the main world of The Thick of It, even though there's a Malcolm Tucker in it.

Quote from: Mobius on April 19, 2021, 10:53:56 PM
I love the bit in I think it's Nomad where Alan talks about how people say he isn't Alan, and that's not how Alan's hair is

There's a similar moment in Oasthouse, I think, when he complains about people asking why his hair was long when the siege happened at North Norfolk Digital. Made me laugh.

As for why he's ended up with a nice spot on This Time, don't the first episodes of series 1 clarify the smudgy details? Isn't he covering for a friend or something? Adrian Chiles has committed graver sins than accidentally shooting an obnoxious celebrity chef, and he was king of The One Show.

An tSaoi

There are less-famous people hosting actual magazine shows.

I agree with your theory about TDT. Ted Maul exists in I, Partridge, so the basic show must have happened, just a bit more realistic. More Alan talking to the jockeys, less Alan's wife being resurrected. Presumably the quests on KMKY don't look like the same four people over and over.

The idea that IAP is a mockumentary or whatever was just a contrived excuse to do in-character audio commentaries, and should be ingored.

peteprodge

Also I reject that IAP was a documentary/reconstruction, that's just silly.

The in-character commentary from Alan and Lynn on the IAP DVD describes the show as a reconstruction rather than a documentary. The documentary argument obviously falls down when it cuts to those scenes of Alan lapdancing for Tony Hayers. Alan on the DVD commentary describes it as the producer's weird idea to be 'avant garde' and that it made no sense to him.

An tSaoi

It's bullshit. The commentary is just a bit of fun.

BeardFaceMan

Magnum Valentino

Youse are wrong there lads. When it was being recorded, Coogan would appear to the audience to explain the setup to them that they were watching reconstructions of incidents from Alan's life before they started shooting, essentially to cover for the fact they were looking at walls with monitors in them because IAP was filmed on four-walled sets.

This is somewhat incorporated into the character commentaries as mentioned above but it did actually happen, just not in a 'canon' way. It didn't happen to Alan, it happened in our world, then they had Alan address it because it was an amusingly contrived idea that he could get use out of.

I suspect it was Armando's idea, he seems more invested in explaining things than Coogan and Baynham, even to an audience that was never remotely likely to hold him accountable.

There's evidence of it, too, I think. Some great Cabber posted a collection of rarities years ago that had recordings of studio tapings in which the setup can be heard

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on April 20, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
There's evidence of it, too, I think. Some great Cabber posted a collection of rarities years ago that had recordings of studio tapings in which the setup can be heard

That was me, they were from series 2 of IAP though.

mobias

I've only ever viewed the world of Alan Partridge as being loosely part of a canon. Its too fucked up and illogical otherwise. He was clearly meant to be in his early to mid fifties during the second series of I'm AP yet suddenly became younger and more debonair by the time Alpha Papa came along. Thats why seeing Michael in Alpha Papa really threw me because his character had aged hugely yet Alan looked younger.

I think its for the best you don't really worry about these things and just enjoy it for what it is.   

frajer

I agree with you mobias but would also add it's satisfying just how much of it can be slotted together (if you forgive zombie wives and physical appearances - as you say IAP2 really threw the curve out on the latter) and one of the joys of I Partridge was reading how they pieced together the jigsaw of Alan's life to make it scan.

I'm an unashamed fan of Alpha Papa (fight me!) but I'm really bloody glad they didn't try and carry forward the IAP2 ageing make-up. I think it's in the audio commentary that Coogan addresses it and says they never even considered it because they knew it would look dogshit in HD. It looked ropey enough in standard definition.

Interview with Alan here: https://www.chortle.co.uk/interviews/2021/04/20/48253/i'm_part_of_the_furniture_-_one_of_the_good_ones_like_an_elegant_sideboard

Though the most interesting thing is the press shot that suggests Natasha Demetriou will be a regular.

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on April 20, 2021, 11:00:05 AM
Interview with Alan here: https://www.chortle.co.uk/interviews/2021/04/20/48253/i'm_part_of_the_furniture_-_one_of_the_good_ones_like_an_elegant_sideboard

Though the most interesting thing is the press shot that suggests Natasha Demetriou will be a regular.

Thanks, some funny lines in there.

And about the show's producer, "He's wonderfully hands-off which means he'll leave you to write your own autocue or deliver video packages without always running them by him
And while things might change under the new producer whoever he (or she!!!!) is, they might not."

I suppose that's meant to explain the gaffes that get through.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteAlan, many well-known gameshows have returned to the airwaves of late. Jeremy Clarkson now hosts Who Wants to Be A Millionaire and Gino D'Acampo heads up Family Fortunes. Are there any classic gameshows from yesteryear you would like to revive/reboot and host?

No

Nice laugh right at the end of that.

An tSaoi

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on April 20, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Youse are wrong there lads. When it was being recorded, Coogan would appear to the audience to explain the setup to them that they were watching reconstructions of incidents from Alan's life before they started shooting

Well fuck my hat.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: mobias on April 20, 2021, 08:56:51 AM
I've only ever viewed the world of Alan Partridge as being loosely part of a canon. Its too fucked up and illogical otherwise. He was clearly meant to be in his early to mid fifties during the second series of I'm AP yet suddenly became younger and more debonair by the time Alpha Papa came along. Thats why seeing Michael in Alpha Papa really threw me because his character had aged hugely yet Alan looked younger.

I think its for the best you don't really worry about these things and just enjoy it for what it is.

Not quite 50.

'I may be nearly 50 but at least I'm not AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH'