Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 12:16:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

This Time with Alan Partridge series 2

Started by Wayman C. McCreery, April 14, 2021, 03:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: H-O-W-L on May 07, 2021, 10:02:01 PM
Spoiler alert
That credits reveal was brilliant.
[close]

Missed that. What was it?

billiabus cricketeer

That episode was by far and away the best so far.

The.
Spoiler alert
16 journeys to and from home
[close]
and the
Spoiler alert
loose screws clip
[close]
absolutely destroyed me.

holyzombiejesus

What was with the shot of his slept on sheets in the prison bit?

Cuellar

WHY WAS "LOOSE SCREWS" NEVER MENTIONED IN IPWNTTAA????????

kalowski

The list of favourite prisoners was a delight, from Norman Stanley Fletcher to The Wests.

That's my favourite episode of both series so far. Joe Beazley worked well.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 07, 2021, 10:03:58 PM
Missed that. What was it?

Spoiler alert
The reveal that Beesley is a stand-up bloke who wanted to help Alan.
[close]

BlodwynPig

Quote from: H-O-W-L on May 07, 2021, 10:12:42 PM
Spoiler alert
The reveal that Beesley is a stand-up bloke who wanted to help Alan.
[close]

Ah, i thought it was in the actual credits text

BlodwynPig

They sure packed a lot into that episode

TheQueensboroBridge

Probably the second best This Time yet.
I was sceptical about the returning character but it was brilliant and the credits pay off was great.
Still think the Ruth stuff is going nowhere and Sidekick Simon is being wasted. The in-studio bits are also nowhere near as good as the Partridge reports sections- the Monks last week, the prison bit this week- but no bother. The name Nero Costa alone is funnier than anything else I've seen on other channel's this year.

TheQueensboroBridge

The Andy Coulson mention was a nice bit of Coogan self indulgence as well.

Rizla

That was superb. The kitchen drawer reorganisation revelation had me in tears. As said above, easily a top 3, if not top 2, episode of TTWAP

quinlad

Quote from: Rizla on May 07, 2021, 10:36:00 PM
That was superb. The kitchen drawer reorganisation revelation had me in tears. As said above, easily a top 3, if not top 2, episode of TTWAP

Did you notice the street name and number of the CGI house?

neveragain

Captain Z

Well I managed to avoid the spoiler all week. Fully expected to come in here to find you all panning that section as unnecessary fan service that spoiled his original appearance.

Not as funny as the first episode for me, but still a good number of laughs.

Rizla

Quote from: quinlad on May 07, 2021, 10:48:23 PM
Did you notice the street name and number of the CGI house?
Oh yeah, chez Bill Carr!

jobotic

i was thinking that they'd spoiled things with him seeming to be a mentalist but the post-credits bit was fantastic and turned it all around.

Also loved Alan enjoying Cheeky's antics at the start. Oh, and "leave it, Cheeky".

Not that arsed about the rest though, apart from the ITV franchise explanation.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Rizla on May 07, 2021, 10:53:54 PM
Oh yeah, chez Bill Carr!

So, with that and the closing "ABBA dabba doo", it really is a case of invoking 'member berries.  Both instances are just referencing moments from past Partridge.  They're not jokes in of themselves, it's just "do you 'member Bill Carr and ABBA dabba doo?".  They don't even really make sense within the reality of the episode itself.  Why would Alan's imagined house be named after a fake name he gave to the police decades earlier?  Why would Joe say "ABBA dabba doo" when walking away?  Not keen on that sort of nostalgia baiting nonsense myself.  Very lazy and the sign of when something great beginnings to become too self-indulgent and starts to eat itself from within.  I did love the kitchen drawer reorganization scene though.

Captain Z

Quote from: Rizla on May 07, 2021, 10:36:00 PM
That was superb. The kitchen drawer reorganisation revelation had me in tears.

I like how two of the implements are bottle openers, and the second works its way much further up as time goes on.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: jobotic on May 07, 2021, 10:56:42 PM
i was thinking that they'd spoiled things with him seeming to be a mentalist but the post-credits bit was fantastic and turned it all around.

Also loved Alan enjoying Cheeky's antics at the start. Oh, and "leave it, Cheeky".

Not that arsed about the rest though, apart from the ITV franchise explanation.

Humourless fool.

The two inverted freeze frames better than a billion hignfy episodes that you enjoy

jobotic

Get to fuck I haven't watched that shit for about fifteen years and even then it made me feel dead inside. Rather watch fucking Question Time while sitting on a fork.

Rizla

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 07, 2021, 11:01:24 PM
So, with that and the closing "ABBA dabba doo", it really is a case of invoking 'member berries.  Both instances are just referencing moments from past Partridge.  They're not jokes in of themselves, it's just "do you 'member Bill Carr and ABBA dabba doo?".  They don't even really make sense within the reality of the episode itself.  Why would Alan's imagined house be named after a fake name he gave to the police decades earlier?  Why would Joe say "ABBA dabba doo" when walking away?  Not keen on that sort of nostalgia baiting nonsense myself.  Very lazy and the sign of when something great beginnings to become too self-indulgent and starts to eat itself from within. 

Mummy's gone, and you want to cry like a baby.

Ja'moke

I think that might have been the best episode of This Time across both series, or maybe tied with the #JohnGone episode in Series 1.

So many bits worked here, even with the Ruth bit, because they didn't rely on the same gag. "My scalp was bleeding!"

The whole prison section was great ("There's a boy's eye"), the interactions with Lynn, and the final section. Top stuff.

TheQueensboroBridge

So, with that and the closing "ABBA dabba doo", it really is a case of invoking 'member berries.  Both instances are just referencing moments from past Partridge.  They're not jokes in of themselves, it's just "do you 'member Bill Carr and ABBA dabba doo?".  They don't even really make sense within the reality of the episode itself.  Why would Alan's imagined house be named after a fake name he gave to the police decades earlier?  Why would Joe say "ABBA dabba doo" when walking away?  Not keen on that sort of nostalgia baiting nonsense myself.  Very lazy and the sign of when something great beginnings to become too self-indulgent and starts to eat itself from within.  I did love the kitchen drawer reorganization scene though.

Jesus wept, I cannot imagine much more joyless than applying this kind of tedious real world logic to something like Alan Partridge as if it's a Ken Loach film, apart from having to be the poor cunt who has to listen to you doing it. 'The time-lines don't match and this makes no sense within the confines of the shows own established narrative'. Zzzzzzzz. Thanks for the seminar Professor Chuckle Chops. Did you not see Alpha Papa?

Ja'moke

And yeah, given the amount of new material and jokes packed into that episode, it's hardly worthy getting mad about a background reference that most people didn't even notice and a one liner callback at the every end of the credits.

Jumblegraws

Why would Joe say "ABBA dabba doo" when walking away?  Not keen on that sort of nostalgia baiting nonsense myself.  Very lazy and the sign of when something great beginnings to become too self-indulgent and starts to eat itself from within.  I did love the kitchen drawer reorganization scene though.
I really liked the abba-dabba-doo sign-off. I interpreted it as Beasley feeling quite pleased with himself at having reached out to the man who (inadvertently) instigated his life's greatest humiliation, then thinking back on that incident and the joke he flubbed and then wryly repeating the punchline to himself. That probably sounds contrived as hell but that's honestly what I took from the line. And yeah, it's also a callback for everyone who watched KMKY but I don't really see that as a harbinger of lazy, self-referential writing.

TheQueensboroBridge

Quote from: Jumblegraws on May 07, 2021, 11:54:30 PM
I really liked the abba-dabba-doo sign-off. I interpreted it as Beasley feeling quite pleased with himself at having reached out to the man who (inadvertently) instigated his life's greatest humiliation, thinking back to that incident and the joke he flubbed and then wryly repeating the punchline to himself. That probably sounds contrived as hell but that's honestly what I took from the line. And yeah, it's also a callback for everyone who watched KMKY but I don't really see that as a harbinger of lazy, self-referential writing.

Both those moments were so subtle and tiny that they were clearly just meant as nice references for those that caught them. It's not like the entire episode relied upon them in any way at all. If anyone thought the episode was shite then fair enough but it had nothing to do with that and it wasn't 'member berries' (the refrences to that really are fucking tedious though).

Jumblegraws

Think you misunderstood my post? I'm on the same wavelength as you re: abba-dabba-doo
ETA: actually, i think i'm the one misunderstanding, I thought your final sentence was addressing me directly.

TheQueensboroBridge

Quote from: Jumblegraws on May 08, 2021, 12:00:48 AM
Think you misunderstood my post? I'm on the same wavelength as you re: abba-dabba-doo
ETA: actually, i think i'm the one misunderstanding, I thought your final sentence was addressing me directly.

yeah sorry, i was agreeing with you and just adding to what I thought on the post you were referencing.

sevendaughters

Quote from: kalowski on May 07, 2021, 10:10:04 PM
The list of favourite prisoners was a delight, from Norman Stanley Fletcher to The Wests.

That's my favourite episode of both series so far. Joe Beazley worked well.

Mrs 7D and I were in bits at this.