Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:38:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

This Time with Alan Partridge series 2

Started by Wayman C. McCreery, April 14, 2021, 03:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tikwid

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on April 15, 2021, 12:22:10 PM
I think it's because it's Partridge with a BBC1 tinge, which we've never really had before. It's a new flavour that didn't quite suit some people.

No, it's for the list of actual reasons dozens have people have given across several threads over years.

It is extra irritating precisely because lots of it work and there are moments of brilliance, only for the rhythm and energy to go missing during segments that are effectively the core pieces of the program, and it feels like that should have been picked up on quickly and changed rather than seeing through to the end something with obvious flaws.

Let's see, eh...

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 16, 2021, 02:01:01 PM
No, it's for the list of actual reasons dozens have people have given across several threads over years.

It is extra irritating precisely because lots of it work and there are moments of brilliance, only for the rhythm and energy to go missing during segments that are effectively the core pieces of the program, and it feels like that should have been picked up on quickly and changed rather than seeing through to the end something with obvious flaws.

Let's see, eh...

You keep seeing it as poor quality, I just see it as a format that's not for you. You keep saying it has all these flaws and problems like it's absolute, when I think the quality is fine and it's the format that's causing people problems, for the list of actual reasons that dozens of people have given across several threads over years.

Thomas

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on April 16, 2021, 02:15:48 PM
You keep seeing it as poor quality, I just see it as a format that's not for you. You keep saying it has all these flaws and problems like it's absolute, when I think the quality is fine and it's the format that's causing people problems, for the list of actual reasons that dozens of people have given across several threads over years.

I love the format - a great creative direction for latter-day Alan - but I think the execution has some flaws.

Probably the most major flaw, for me, is the atmosphere in the studio. If ever you suffer a few moments of The One Show, you're usually well aware that there's a crew in the wings. This Time, comparatively,[nb]and comparison is natural and invited, since The One Show is essentially the template.[/nb] is quiet and empty. KMKY, as another natural reference point, felt like a real, lively chatshow.

Nevetheless, I did really like the first series and I look forward to the second. Particularly memorable was the handwashing segment.

Glebe

Quote from: Thomas on April 16, 2021, 02:21:48 PMProbably the most major flaw, for me, is the atmosphere in the studio. If ever you suffer a few moments of The One Show, you're usually well aware that there's a crew in the wings. This Time, comparatively,[nb]and comparison is natural and invited, since The One Show is essentially the template.[/nb] is quiet and empty. KMKY, as another natural reference point, felt like a real, lively chatshow.

Excellent point.

paruses

Quote from: Thomas on April 16, 2021, 02:21:48 PM
I love the format - a great creative direction for latter-day Alan - but I think the execution has some flaws.

Probably the most major flaw, for me, is the atmosphere in the studio. If ever you suffer a few moments of The One Show, you're usually well aware that there's a crew in the wings. This Time, comparatively,[nb]and comparison is natural and invited, since The One Show is essentially the template.[/nb] is quiet and empty. KMKY, as another natural reference point, felt like a real, lively chatshow.

I think they went for a mix of the KMKYWAP idea that Iannucci had talked about where the studio is just that bit too big so everything is an effort and slightly frantic, and trying to ape The One Show jollies-with-the-crew feel but it falls somewhere in the middle and doesn't hit the mark.

There's no staff-ter (is that what it's called when the crew join in the laughs?) at all in KMKY but was there any on straight TV at the time or is it a late 90s invention? That said I agree that KMKY felt more like a live and lively Wogan-esque affair. This Time almost echoes but then maybe that's how this sort of TV sounds when you see it's created - maybe industry insiders think they've nailed the feel but I find it  bit alienating. [nb]I have only seen Blockbusters filmed and that was back in about 1987.[/nb]

Still really looking forward to this although the snippet they've released hasn't particularly whetted my appetite. Its also in this NME link I just got pushed https://www.nme.com/news/tv/alan-partridge-gets-angry-about-eggs-in-trailer-for-season-2-of-this-time-2922156

Interesting that Coogan says they don't quite know where they're taking it. Did he mean they hadn't finished the scripts like in IAP come filming?

purlieu

Quote from: paruses on April 16, 2021, 07:11:48 PM
There's no staff-ter (is that what it's called when the crew join in the laughs?) at all in KMKY but was there any on straight TV at the time or is it a late 90s invention?
You definitely got bits of it in Saturday morning shows like Going Live and Live & Kicking, so the concept is at least as old as that.

paruses

Quote from: purlieu on April 16, 2021, 07:29:10 PM
You definitely got bits of it in Saturday morning shows like Going Live and Live & Kicking, so the concept is at least as old as that.

True - that's the only thing I could think of but thought that was a bit later (and that I am younger than I am). Very upsetting.

Thosworth

Crew laughter: The Kenny Everett Video Show is the earliest I can think of.

stonkers

Quote from: purlieu on April 16, 2021, 07:29:10 PM

Quote from: paruses on April 16, 2021, 07:35:44 PM
True - that's the only thing I could think of but thought that was a bit later (and that I am younger than I am). Very upsetting.

For stuff that wasn't (primarily) aimed at kids in the 90s the Big Breakfast and TFI Friday had a lot of it. And that was probably inspired by radio zoo stuff and as Thosworth say Kenny Everett

Harry Badger

Quote from: Thosworth on April 16, 2021, 08:26:10 PM
Crew laughter: The Kenny Everett Video Show is the earliest I can think of.

Not a show in its own right but in one of the 1974 elections, the BBC got Mike Yarwood in to do his Heath and Wilson impressions while they were waiting for results. Big laughter from the crew there, though the jokes were pretty modest.

jobotic

Quote from: Attila on April 16, 2021, 09:46:19 AM
One of my take-aways from This Time was during all the hybrid teaching guff I had to fo last autumn, baffling students as I clicked through set up stuff on Teams/streaming, all the while muttering, 'Bird it, bird it, bird it'.

(Or was he saying 'birdie, birdie, birdie?' My American ears couldn't tell the difference.)

Bird it

kalowski

Quote from: Tikwid on April 16, 2021, 10:54:03 AM
Tiny teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNheHG-lPNA
Spoiler alert
BE safe. be EGG safe.
[close]
When he says "You can't eat raw egg" he looks like he's reading from a cue card.
Oh, this is going to disappoint me isn't it?

amateur

Quote from: kalowski on April 16, 2021, 10:47:54 PM
When he says "You can't eat raw egg" he looks like he's reading from a cue card.
Oh, this is going to disappoint me isn't it?

To me, it looks more like he's looking at the "expert" presenting the segment, before looking to another camera/producer. But if you want to be disappointed I'm sure you will be.

kalowski

Quote from: amateur on April 16, 2021, 10:52:11 PM
To me, it looks more like he's looking at the "expert" presenting the segment, before looking to another camera/producer. But if you want to be disappointed I'm sure you will be.
I do! I love being disappointed. I wanted to be disappointed by From the Oasthouse, and luckily it was fucking brilliant so I was disappointed with my disappointment.

amateur

Quote from: kalowski on April 16, 2021, 11:02:02 PM
I do! I love being disappointed. I wanted to be disappointed by From the Oasthouse, and luckily it was fucking brilliant so I was disappointed with my disappointment.

Delightful scenes.

I thought the first series of this was great, silly in a way I would expect from the Gibbons/Coogan, and I think the next series will be great as well.

Eggs, much like chops, are a great word to hear Partridge say.

paruses

Quote from: amateur on April 16, 2021, 11:04:49 PM
Eggs, much like chops, are a great word to hear Partridge say.

Agreed and they seem to have latched onto Eggs for him to be enthusiastic about - rightly so too. It's such an appropriate food.

I have a feeling that Alan being anti-raw egg isn't canon though. I thought he advocated drinking them at some point. Someone like Mag Val will be able to correct or confirm!

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Tikwid on April 16, 2021, 10:54:03 AM
Tiny teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNheHG-lPNA
Spoiler alert
BE safe. be EGG safe.
[close]

That's the wine lady from MMM too, isn't it? I do love a bit of continuity, one of the reasons Partridge is so good.

stonkers

Quote from: paruses on April 16, 2021, 11:10:28 PM
Agreed and they seem to have latched onto Eggs for him to be enthusiastic about - rightly so too. It's such an appropriate food.

I have a feeling that Alan being anti-raw egg isn't canon though. I thought he advocated drinking them at some point. Someone like Mag Val will be able to correct or confirm!

It does seem like Alan would be aware of British Lion marked eggs

amateur

I went on a course at work, a long time ago, which got derailed by one of the attendees explaining in depth what "WAP" was (in relation to the mobile online connectivity), because "it's important that people know this".

It was by some margin the most Partridge thing I've ever experienced in real life.

Thomas

By the time of his 2019 Comic Relief appearance, Alan stopped drinking raw eggs.

DenzilHolles

It made me think of that wonderful comic relief clip when he says 'I don't drink eggs anymore.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXoAiPb4ipg

paruses

Quote from: Thomas on April 16, 2021, 11:29:46 PM
By the time of his 2019 Comic Relief appearance, Alan stopped drinking raw eggs.

Ah maybe that was what I was thinking of. That whole segment is marvellous.

What is it he says under his breath before a shifty look at the camera? "I just don't"?

Frantically thwarted Alan gets me laughing helplessly.

Magnum Valentino

Delighted to be thus invoked but I'm afraid I'm stumped on this one.

petril

Quote from: amateur on April 16, 2021, 11:24:13 PM
I went on a course at work, a long time ago, which got derailed by one of the attendees explaining in depth what "WAP" was (in relation to the mobile online connectivity), because "it's important that people know this".

It was by some margin the most Partridge thing I've ever experienced in real life.

this inspired a thought on evolution and growth

• 90s Alan would be scared of the idea of WAP because it's the future and he's not finding out before everyone else
  • 00s Alan would have used mobile internet casually, but need to bring up his knowledge and opinion to assert himself whenever there's a chance
  • 10s Alan would have mentioned WAP at a production meeting, and patiently let the rest of the team work out what his opinion was all along

Quote from: paruses on April 16, 2021, 07:11:48 PM
Interesting that Coogan says they don't quite know where they're taking it. Did he mean they hadn't finished the scripts like in IAP come filming?

The Gibbonses said that despite having extremely finished scripts on This Time S1, a lot of the writing was also done on set and in the edit.

mobias

Is there a consensus that the Gibbons brothers aren't as good at writing Partridge with Coogan as Iannucci and Baynham were? I haven't seen all of the Partridge stuff since I'm Alan Partridge came out but the stuff I've seen has always been at best just ok, generally. Is it more of a case that we should just be grateful that there's any Alan Partridge at all since Iannucci and Baynham have moved on to other things?