Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:05:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

This Time with Alan Partridge series 2

Started by Wayman C. McCreery, April 14, 2021, 03:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: sevendaughters on May 12, 2021, 05:29:51 PM
The episode was loosely about crime, but those types of magazine show love a human interest and redemption show. The appearance of JB neatly fulfils both briefs. Furthermore, it is fairly clear that AP gets to call the shots on certain kinds of material. God this thread is painful at times.

Right

paruses

Forgot to say I enjoyed the Ruth section this week too. Laughed at the idea of Alan being rude to Ruth's dad very much and also him being wrong-footed. Hope they are going to get Ruth to play with him a bit more from now on rather than just say the opposite.

oy vey

I'm taking a wild guess that Jenny's engagement will be called off before the end of the series. Not sure why, but hoping Alan will be in the middle of it.

sevendaughters

just remembered the way AP says the line 'closed for refurb', very Brass Eye.

turnstyle

So, at the risk of being dense, what was on the handkerchief, chief?

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on May 08, 2021, 09:18:59 AMWasn't it her knickers? "silver hanky".
I took it as weapons grade flirting.

BrahmanOK

Now I understand why Cheeky MONKEY was invited onto the show... It's because it was written by a pair of GIBBONS.

C_Larence

Quote from: BrahmanOK on May 13, 2021, 12:37:41 AM
Now I understand why Cheeky MONKEY was invited onto the show... It's because it was written by a pair of GIBBONS.

Funnier than the episode

Sonny_Jim

Quote from: phantom_power on May 11, 2021, 09:15:19 PM
also he is worried about being DLTed
Yeah that was my take on the make up lady flirting, she even mentions that she's 'old school', as if to let Alan know she prefered the BBC 'back in the old days' pre-Operation Yewtree

Quote from: paruses on May 12, 2021, 06:32:52 PM
Forgot to say I enjoyed the Ruth section this week too. Laughed at the idea of Alan being rude to Ruth's dad very much and also him being wrong-footed. Hope they are going to get Ruth to play with him a bit more from now on rather than just say the opposite.
Didn't the Ruth thing start as her being in New York on a time delay, so she was answering questions out of sequence?  To be fair, it's becoming a fairly worn comedy trope so I wouldn't be surprised if I'm thinking of something else.

thr0b

It was played as if on a time delay. But the punchline was that when Jennie asked her questions, she responded instantly.

paruses

Quote from: thr0b on May 13, 2021, 11:18:37 AM
It was played as if on a time delay. But the punchline was that when Jennie asked her questions, she responded instantly.

They set up the antagonism with an aside that Alan had spilt a drink over her at a function and she had never forgiven him. I thought that there was a pervious interview before the supposed time-delay but can't remember.

Blue Jam

"snooker ball in a sock" heheh nice callback

Lemming

"Yeah. Suboptimal."

One of the best yet, the SAS segment took me out.

Norton Canes

BlodwynPig

Lovely. Edit. Not matt smith, the show

Why did they cast Nigel Lindsay in the SAS segment? Surely in universe he is Jason Tresswell?

Ja'moke

That Car Man/Carmen joke was ace.

Overall not as strong as last week's episode, but still some great stuff here and there, and I liked that Alan and Lynne were getting on.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Bereft Isabella on May 14, 2021, 10:03:57 PM
Why did they cast Nigel Lindsay in the SAS segment? Surely in universe he is Jason Tresswell?

Nigel Lindsay played this same character, Tommy Gaskell, in Mid Morning Matters though, right?

Norton Canes

Ironic that in a week where Inside Number 9 attempted to shock us into submission with a truculent namecheck, TTWAP wooed us into gentle capitulation simply by casting the loveliest man ever. Sorry, Reece.

Norton Canes

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 14, 2021, 10:03:43 PM
Lovely. Edit. Not matt smith, the show

But mostly Matt Smith. The rest of the episode was a bit patchy.

kalowski

Definitely seem to be reading from cue cards.
Funniest bit was Alan removing the top of the cocktail shaker.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 14, 2021, 10:06:34 PM
But mostly Matt Smith. The rest of the episode was a bit patchy.

Not a fan of his style but i can see where you are coming from

Bloody loved that one. Was beaming all the way through. One of the best yet.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: kalowski on May 14, 2021, 10:07:52 PM
Definitely seem to be reading from cue cards.
Funniest bit was Alan removing the top of the cocktail shaker.

Noticed the reading too.

Patridgeisms to the max this week, brilliant

Quote from: Ja'moke on May 14, 2021, 10:06:00 PM
Nigel Lindsay played this same character, Tommy Gaskell, in Mid Morning Matters though, right?

Oh yes! I'd forgotten about that. So that's 2 of Alan's former MMM guests on one episode!

bgmnts

Haha that knee joke was exceptional.

lipsink

Funniest bit was the cocktail woman's face while she was shaking the cocktail. They could've done that for even longer.

Is Matt Smith the biggest name to appear in a Partridge thing (not counting people playing themselves like Brian Ferry etc?)

lipsink

Quote from: Bereft Isabella on May 14, 2021, 10:03:57 PM

I was thinking that too, but Patrick Marber and Rebecca Front have played multiple characters in Partridge universe. Kevin Eldon and Barbar Durkin have too. And Morris if you count TDT.

Ja'moke

Quote from: lipsink on May 14, 2021, 10:15:01 PM
Funniest bit was the cocktail woman's face while she was shaking the cocktail. They could've done that for even longer.

Very Lynchian.