Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:29:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

This Time with Alan Partridge series 2

Started by Wayman C. McCreery, April 14, 2021, 03:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexTwist

Quote from: lipsink on May 14, 2021, 10:17:45 PM
I was thinking that too, but Patrick Marber and Rebecca Front have played multiple characters in Partridge universe. Kevin Eldon and Barbar Durkin have too. And Morris if you count TDT.

And Doon Mackichan was in IAP, KMKYWAP and TDT playing different characters.

Magnum Valentino

Don't forget Lindsay was in IAP2 as a third character, at the Colman Bravery Awards.

AlexTwist

For some reason I found him saying "that's for the car" to Lynn hilarious.  What must those car journeys home be like.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I thought Matt Smith was very good. He's presumably a Partridge fan, he understood the tone and got what was required of him, so it didn't feel like a - woo! - Famous Actor cameo. Otherwise it could've come across as a Comic Relief sketch.

kidney

I could barely watch when Alan was struggling with the shaker because I was convinced it would suddenly pop open and his left hand would smack Jenny in the face.

Ja'moke

Oh, I liked how Simon actually did something competent for once too and got that round of applause. Also he basically took on Alan's role on the sofa at the end there. I wonder if that is leading to Simon usurping Alan.

DrGreggles

Quote from: lipsink on May 14, 2021, 10:15:01 PM
Funniest bit was the cocktail woman's face while she was shaking the cocktail. They could've done that for even longer.

"Stop looking at me!"

QuoteIs Matt Smith the biggest name to appear in a Partridge thing

Doubt it. I mean, who is he?

peteprodge

Quote from: lipsink on May 14, 2021, 10:15:01 PM
Is Matt Smith the biggest name to appear in a Partridge thing (not counting people playing themselves like Brian Ferry etc?)

Peter Kay.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BngnuvGtZzc

Simon Pegg.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fh6EUQ41JU

DJ Bob Hoskins

That was a top-class episode.

Spoiler alert
Seeing him basically live out his Andy McNab wet dreams in the SAS segment (especially him leaning against the wall during the mission briefing), was just marvellous. And lines like the bit about the stage at the Lyceum being able to fit three F1 cars with enough room to dance around them is exactly the kind of fantastically economic writing that just conjures Alan's entire world for the viewer in just a sentence or two.
[close]

jobotic

Loved the Guardian men with three letter names who think they're normal people because they have teenage sons and a messy hall.

Ferris

Quote from: jobotic on May 14, 2021, 11:30:11 PM
Loved the Guardian men with three letter names who think they're normal people because they have teenage sons and a messy hall.

That was superb.

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 14, 2021, 11:14:07 PM
"Stop looking at me!"

Doubt it. I mean, who is he?

He is Who. One of the greatest Whos.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 14, 2021, 11:45:05 PM
He is Who. One of the greatest Whos.

Yeah, I Googled him.
His IMDB suggests that I was unaware of him for good reason.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

I idly said to my friend "oh so this (the SAS guy) is the same character that was in Mid Morning Matters?" and got a very sharp "Stop overthinking this!!" He'd fit right in here but kidding aside yes I'm still feeling incredibly annoyed by it, bizarre response.

good episode. lots of laugh out loud moments for me but the best line from Alan for me has to be

"Lord Reith will have turned in his grave so much he's probably drilled his way to France."
"Nah, body would break up once it hit sedimentary rock."

Captain Z

I've only just realised the journalist actor was a Doctor Who but I honestly thought that performance slightly let down an otherwise fantastic episode.

Even then, I did enjoy his takedown of This Time in another clear 'let's-disguise-what-we-really-think-as-dialogue' moment.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: kalowski on May 14, 2021, 10:07:52 PM
Funniest bit was Alan removing the top of the cocktail shaker.

Up to that point I hadn't been enjoying the drinks section and was on the brink of zoning out, but the taking off of the jacket, the straining noises, the lid finally coming off and the accidental tip of the shaken drink into the sink was the loudest I've laughed at anything in the season so far. Superb physical comedy from Coogan.

Was hoping Alan wasn't going to explain the James Bond stance as it was clear in the still image who he was imitating.

All  three episodes thus far have been terrific.

jobotic

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 14, 2021, 11:14:07 PM
"Stop looking at me!"

That was so funny. If I had the talent to come up with something as good as shaking the cocktail like that and the look on her face, I'd be tempted to let it go on with no other dialogue. I bet they thought about that for a while. But that line, at that point in the shaking, was just perfect.

Spode

I was a bit unsure of the format for much of last series (the long looks to camera, silences between scenes etc) but they've taken it on to being a way to basically drop Partridge into a million different scenarios that would be impossible in any other series - Alan goes to prison, Alan is in the SAS, Alan in a monastery.

I'm loving it and even the studio bits seems to be building to something now, too, rather than being just the awkwardness of Alan around guests/co-workers. This week really felt like the start of Simon gradually edging him out and leading the show.

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on May 14, 2021, 10:31:36 PM
Don't forget Lindsay was in IAP2 as a third character, at the Colman Bravery Awards.

Bob Fraser (who owns Sexton's Garden Centre).

I'm also 99% sure he can be seen in the audience in KMKY, during the Partridge Over Britain segment in Episode 5. Sat behind the other bald Brummie in the audience. I know he was working with Marber at the time, so would make sense. Haven't got my DVDs at home or I'd do a screenshot.

Think this makes him one of the only actors to have appeared on screen in KMKY, IAP, MMM, Alpha Papa and now This Time...

Thomas

Quote from: Spode on May 15, 2021, 12:42:19 AM
I'm loving it and even the studio bits seems to be building to something now, too, rather than being just the awkwardness of Alan around guests/co-workers. This week really felt like the start of Simon gradually edging him out and leading the show.

Some of my favourite stretches of Partridge[nb]fitness DVD[/nb] involve development for Alan and his world, so I like the sense that - in and around the sketch-like sequences - we're moving towards something. Simon did have a lot of screentime, crew adulation, and a seat on the sofas. There could be a usurpment.

Another great ep. So many fantastically specific tics and lines in there - like the above-quoted characterisation of Guardian writers. Particularly enjoyed Alan's rapid descent into drunkenness and a presumable near-medical emergency at the end. I also like it when Lynn connives. Only God can smite her.

I was thinking the other day that I'd quite like to see a third series of I'm Alan Partridge at some point. I'm always pleased by hints of Alan's life offscreen - his car journeys with Lynn and/or Simon, for example.

Mobius

Fantastic episode again, the shaker / "stop looking at me" had me in tears

Captain Z

"And people say 'you've interviewed her before, why are you interviewing her again?'"

Second dig at CaB on prime time BBC in one week?

Ferris

Quote from: Captain Z on May 15, 2021, 01:28:50 AM
"And people say 'you've interviewed her before, why are you interviewing her again?'"

Second dig at CaB on prime time BBC in one week?

Yeah I clocked that as well. Don't know who else it could be aimed at considering CaB is the premier location of Partridge obsessives.

Chollis

Best one yet. So much in there, need to watch it again

"because women have got a bit big for their boots-
-alright Lynn, that's for the car"

biggest laugh was him losing his footing just before the cut away

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 14, 2021, 10:43:55 PM
I thought Matt Smith was very good. He's presumably a Partridge fan, he understood the tone and got what was required of him, so it didn't feel like a - woo! - Famous Actor cameo. Otherwise it could've come across as a Comic Relief sketch.

Surely Coogan is more famous outside of sherlock/who watching children community ;)

Smith also played Phil the Greek in The Crown, which simply everyone binge-watched, darling.

But yeah, Coogan is probably better-known in general. I was merely pointing out that getting a Famous Actor in for a cameo can sometimes be distracting, but Smith was fine.

DrGreggles

popcorn

Found it interesting that Matt Smith (a guy I've never seen in anything) wasn't really any better an actor than anyone else they'd had on. He was very similar in character and performance to the hacker anarchist guy they had last series.

DrGreggles

He was clearly reading his lines though so, once you've noticed that, it makes it tougher to judge as a performance.

Definitely not that famous.

PeasOnSticks

Thought that was the funniest episode so far, the most purely enjoyable - had a smile on my face most of the time and some nice lols. The flow of this one was more seemless than usual, the off-camera stuff was juicy and helped move things along, and the cocktails segment was brilliant. Coogan on top form throughout - loved the manner Alan adopts with Guardian bloke ('...and raised my concerns with the appropriate people'), and Alan under the influence (whether it's booze or ecstasy pellets) is always good value.

You could grumble about the journalist's too-full-on backtrack after 'Hermione in Kent,' or Simon plugging things being a bit overdone, but this episode had a buoyancy to it that I feel has been missing from others, which have felt a little stilted in places. Hopefully a sign that the format is now at ease with itself - looking forward to the second half of the series!