Author Topic: This Time with Alan Partridge series 2  (Read 36600 times)

Re: This Time with Alan Partridge series 2
« Reply #420 on: May 03, 2021, 08:14:40 PM »
Can't see how they are going to work into canon bringing back [spoilers]his dead zombie wife[spoilers].

EDIT: Shit, how do you do spoilers?

pigamus

• Sex, death, mayonnaise.
« Reply #421 on: May 03, 2021, 08:20:47 PM »
I hope it's Pete Gabbitas because I really like the name Pete Gabbitas

kalowski

• Maclunkey
« Reply #422 on: May 03, 2021, 08:46:50 PM »
I hope it's Cirque du Clunes

petrilTanaka

• Are we counting shites?
« Reply #423 on: May 03, 2021, 08:53:36 PM »
looking forward to catching up with that boy who was in care

oy vey

• [sic]
« Reply #424 on: May 03, 2021, 08:56:20 PM »
That BFI interview was good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEqnoFJF-Bo

It explains the not-enough-Lynn I'd been feeling, but now I wonder how much the Zoom-writing has affected the end product.

I liked the first episode but it feels a little weaker than season 1. Hopefully it picks up. The line "I live here now" also made me miss the old contemptuous Alan. He's still there, but buried in the trying-to-reign-it-in older personality he's got now. The fight with Jenny at the end of S1 was in the ballpark but didn't quite satisfy, I'm not sure why. I'm glad they didn't reference it to be honest.

Anyway, my point is when he's nasty these days he tends to be more subtle, logical and debate-orientated. I miss "You're not ordinary you're French" moments. Hopefully we'll see his guard go down some more. I'll stop complaining now.

« Reply #425 on: May 03, 2021, 09:20:45 PM »
I hope it's Cirque du Clunes

That was honestly my first wish. The pissing dog mime and the chainsaw penis still make me laugh out of nowhere 25 years on

Shameless Custard

• PAUSE FOR THE JET
    • LastFM
« Reply #426 on: May 03, 2021, 09:42:27 PM »
Or Tony Le Mesmer!

« Reply #427 on: May 03, 2021, 09:54:14 PM »

I liked the first episode but it feels a little weaker than season 1. Hopefully it picks up. The line "I live here now" also made me miss the old contemptuous Alan. He's still there, but buried in the trying-to-reign-it-in older personality he's got now. The fight with Jenny at the end of S1 was in the ballpark but didn't quite satisfy, I'm not sure why. I'm glad they didn't reference it to be honest.

Complete speculation but I have been wondering if this series may be the opposite of Series 1. This Time Series 1 was mainly about Alan's journey to being permanent host so perhaps Series 2 is about him losing control and culminating in his sacking at the end of the series.

« Reply #428 on: May 03, 2021, 10:05:30 PM »
Aren't more Partridge BBC shows confirmed?
He can't burn his bridges completely.

Attila

• gif made by hedgehog90
« Reply #429 on: May 03, 2021, 10:52:50 PM »

If something goes wrong on live telly, fair enough, but the fact he still can’t work the board is just that bit too stupid for me.

I find it believable after almost a year of Teams teaching and meetings, and colleagues and management who regularly teach or run meetings via Teams and still can't set up or run a meeting, or share docs/screens and so forth.

« Reply #430 on: May 03, 2021, 10:55:22 PM »
Also the system itself is unnecessarily complex.
Probably designed by a company giving Alan a freebie.

« Reply #431 on: May 03, 2021, 10:57:54 PM »
MMM was Alan's Nebraska; This Time is Born in the USA

« Reply #432 on: May 03, 2021, 10:59:24 PM »
Also the system itself is unnecessarily complex.
Probably designed by a company giving Alan a freebie.

Working from the brief that it should be Foxtons and more.

Shaky

• I drink your thread
« Reply #433 on: May 04, 2021, 01:14:29 AM »
I actually like the development in the relationship between Alan and Jenny. She's clearly a touch more uncomfortable/unforgiving onscreen, and totally ignores him between live segments. Seems a more realistic way to address the incident from two years ago than putting it all up there for more obvious laughs.

Magnum Valentino

• Formerly magval
« Reply #434 on: May 04, 2021, 06:52:10 AM »
I find it believable after almost a year of Teams teaching and meetings, and colleagues and management who regularly teach or run meetings via Teams and still can't set up or run a meeting, or share docs/screens and so forth.

I think it's less about his inability to use the board and more the fact they haven't sacked him for being so useless.

Don't care though, it makes me laugh. I enjoy talking about all this 'reality' with you lot but it doesn't impact my enjoyment of the show.

Malcy

• This is a Post Office isn't it?
    • Twitter
« Reply #435 on: May 04, 2021, 09:01:45 AM »
Aren't more Partridge BBC shows confirmed?
He can't burn his bridges completely.

Yeah there's the travel series. Caught half a second of the trailer on Instagram earlier. Enough to be spoiled. Would have been a great surprise.

Enjoyed the first episode. Can't see why people are complaining about it being too broad. So what if it is? I doubt Partridge will ever be shit enough in any form that it brings down what came before it.

DoesNotFollow

• Everybody in the whole of NASA was in the pork pie
« Reply #436 on: May 04, 2021, 09:50:54 AM »
I like how Alan's fighting on all fronts from the beginning. Ignored by his co-host off camera, new young producer on the scene, Ruth out for blood, on the verge of being ousted by mop-top guy and SS still fucking up the board. I do hope things sort of develop on from there, and that there's a bit more of an overall plot arc than in the first series.

This Time isn't the cream of Partridge discharge admittedly, but it's still enjoyable and preferable over nothing for me.

oy vey

• [sic]
« Reply #437 on: May 04, 2021, 10:11:45 AM »
If This Time was the only thing we got in a 5 year timespan (like with IAP2 more or less) it might be more disappointing but with all the Alan output the past few years it's a welcome addition to the library. Kind of like a bonus DVD in a box set. I also don't mind it being broad. IAP was broad on occasion which added to the charm. We'll see how the other 5 episodes pan out...

« Reply #438 on: May 04, 2021, 10:37:12 AM »
I think TTWAP is good on merit and stands head and shoulders above literally anything on BBC right now. The format isn't perfect but the character study continues to be thrilling.

BeardFaceMan

• Safely ensconced on top of the bathroom cabinet
    • mixes'n'mashes
« Reply #439 on: May 04, 2021, 10:42:47 AM »
We've always followed Alan in real time, so it feels like the first episode of the second series is just setting the stage, showing the status quo that has been arrived at in the 2 years since we last saw the show, I don't think it's going to be the same thing every week from here.

« Reply #440 on: May 04, 2021, 11:23:01 AM »
Watched that recent interview with Coogan and the gang. Coogan seems so odd to me - he's incredibly funny in his performances but in his interviews he always seems uptight and keen to remind viewers that he also makes "proper dramas" and isn't just a comedy man. I can't figure him out.

up_the_hampipe

• Crowd appeaser
« Reply #441 on: May 04, 2021, 11:36:39 AM »
Watched that recent interview with Coogan and the gang. Coogan seems so odd to me - he's incredibly funny in his performances but in his interviews he always seems uptight and keen to remind viewers that he also makes "proper dramas" and isn't just a comedy man. I can't figure him out.

I think a lot of what makes Partridge stuff so consistently good is that he takes it intensely seriously.

An tSaoi

• The Prodigal Cunt
« Reply #442 on: May 04, 2021, 11:56:13 AM »
I think he just doesn't like being typecast, like any actor, and people shouting catchphrases at him. He clearly likes playing the character, but I can't blame him for wanting to remind people that it's not all he does.

« Reply #443 on: May 04, 2021, 12:56:32 PM »
Did everyone catch the glimpse of the oasthouse in the opening titles? Nice bit of cross-media continuity.

Tony Tony Tony

• Cumsock crying into my meal for one.
« Reply #444 on: May 04, 2021, 02:41:46 PM »
Bit of a teaser from the BBC media site for Ep 2, whilst most already know who the blast from the past is I hope the make up artist is love interest for Alan

A special episode focusing on criminal justice. A new make-up artist puts a spring in Alan's step, while a blast from his past returns to make amends

« Reply #445 on: May 04, 2021, 04:15:55 PM »
Bit of a teaser from the BBC media site for Ep 2, whilst most already know who the blast from the past is I hope the make up artist is love interest for Alan

A special episode focusing on criminal justice. A new make-up artist puts a spring in Alan's step, while a blast from his past returns to make amends

Ooh based on that - and good news all round as I thought Alan Ford had died a couple of years ago - but Terry Norton coming back on would be good. Maybe could have a couple of ponces mincing around talking rubbish for old time 's sake.

BlodwynPig

• The Last Living Member of COVID-20
« Reply #446 on: May 04, 2021, 05:00:17 PM »
Chris Morris, initially I thought, with a nice cup of tea

Echo Valley 2-6809

• Part of no circle
« Reply #447 on: May 04, 2021, 05:47:30 PM »
Ooh based on that - and good news all round as I thought Alan Ford had died a couple of years ago - but Terry Norton coming back on would be good. Maybe could have a couple of ponces mincing around talking rubbish for old time 's sake.

Right now I need Alan Ford to give my washing machine a good talking-to.

That's a reference to him in The Armando Iannucci Shows, but perhaps that wasn't him, it's been a while, hang on, am I spoilering all this based on something that was in your head or is he actually going to be on?  'Ave a fackin word wiv yerself.  :-)

Echo Valley 2-6809

• Part of no circle
« Reply #448 on: May 04, 2021, 05:48:38 PM »
Muppets.

« Reply #449 on: May 04, 2021, 07:07:46 PM »
Let's have a look at what this idiot did... in America

Tags: