Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:29:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

How Old Do You Think You Are?

Started by Tony Tony Tony, April 14, 2021, 11:22:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkfromhavana

Mentally, I feel about 11 years old, looks wise I'm told that I look about 10 years younger than my age, body wise I feel about 20 years older.

The mental aspect is largely concerned with work. Sitting in meetings with other people all knowledgeable and adultly and caring about stuff, whilst I sit there with my head in the clouds feeling tremendously out of my depth. I'm in a meeting whilst typing this.

Jockice

The same age as my hair and a little older than my teeth. Or is it the other way round?

"The soul is ageless, and the mirror is a traitor. You can tell how old someone truly is by looking in their eyes. The aim is to retain the light."  - Philippa Bibbleworth, 7AD

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Scarlet Intangible on April 15, 2021, 11:00:25 AM
"You can tell how old someone truly is by looking in their eyes. The aim is to retain the light."  - Philippa Bibbleworth, 7AD

That's me fucked then.

Bently Sheds

Quote from: monkfromhavana on April 15, 2021, 10:55:39 AM
Mentally, I feel about 11 years old, looks wise I'm told that I look about 10 years younger than my age, body wise I feel about 20 years older.

The mental aspect is largely concerned with work. Sitting in meetings with other people all knowledgeable and adultly and caring about stuff, whilst I sit there with my head in the clouds feeling tremendously out of my depth. I'm in a meeting whilst typing this.
That pretty much sums me up, too (although I am not in a meeting). I am 55.

idunnosomename

Take it like a man, baby, if that's what you are

Dex Sawash

I'll be 56 this year. Starting to feel physical aging. Muscle mass is reducing, can no longer walk a mile with a sofa  balanced on my head. Bumcheek skin starting to get baggywrinkle.

Still not doing anything proper adults do like eating chocolate with fruit or drinking scotch.

Quote from: idunnosomename on April 15, 2021, 11:45:57 AM
Take it like a man, baby, if that's what you are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcu3TiYluE8

Always liked this Martin Stephenson lyric - https://daintees.bandcamp.com/track/the-boys-heart

"May youth forever weave you,
his magic round your ways
And time the robber leave you,
the boy's heart all your days"

:D

Janie Jones

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 15, 2021, 10:29:50 AM
Quick carmarriagekidscareer is a way of keeping oneself permanently busy.

That way you can't be alone in your thoughts for too long, developing ideas, discovering your individual worth, reflecting on your own condition.

Servility to ones dependents gives people impetus and clarity of purpose. Yes, in 20 years it may all implode in a shower of broken glass and strangled cats, the trampoline may be turned into a Fort where you launch a series of terror attacks on your household, you may go full Philpott (Fullpott)  leaving permanent scars that affect your loved ones so profoundly they are crippled shadows of their former selves, but at least you never had to read a poem about existence from start to finish, and good old paper tells me what to think about stuff I ain't got time for.

Is there a whiff of poorism in that 'aint got time for'? Maybe not but not everyone has a job that enables them to spend hours every day contributing their thunderously correct opinions to this website. Some people need their partner's support to get time to read that poem. Some people find the love and support of their partner and kids brings freedom and joy.

You do not have to be single and childless to value time alone or to develop ideas, discover your worth or reflect on your own condition. I know plenty of single childless people who have no self-awareness and have never read a poem. Carmarriagekidscareer does not make you 'servile'. Haven't you heard high achievers and creative people you admire credit their partner and kids for their success? It can be empowering and a source of joy.

(Having said that, I do think 'the pram in the hall' effect is real. Posting on CaB is hardly the pinnacle of creative achievement to aspire to but to give an example that relates to us, we all know we've lost some beloved and brilliant CaB regulars to carmarriagekidscareer. People get too busy to hang out here especially if they have a more demanding or highly supervised job than the people who can post long cogent posts here night and day. I don't think that means they'll go full Philpott in 20 years but who knows.)

Isn't that like the two sad lads still sitting on the youthclub wall in their 30s drinking cider going "Where did everybody go? Bunch of lightweights!"

They probably just matured and moved on to other things. It doesn't have to be carmarriagekidscareer.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I'm talking about a mentality to rush to reach all the milestones by early twenties, certainly not making any grand generalisations applying to all people who make those commitments across the course of their lives.

canadagoose

I think, in my head, I keep imagining I'm about 22 or 23, even though I've got more brain fog than I had at that age. I don't know what a 32-year-old is supposed to feel like, but I'm not that much different these days, just a bit more embittered. Body-wise I feel absolutely fucked. Probably about 60 on that side. God knows what I'll feel like at 42.

imitationleather

The thing is I am far, far, far healthier now than I was in my early and mid-twenties.

I feel like a million dollars compared to how I was then.

Unfortunately with that health comes being quite a lot fatter.

Icehaven

Obviously it's a combination of not being a parent myself and not being a very responsible person but I still find it staggering to think a lot of people I know who are around my age now have adult children. Someone I worked with until last year was exactly the same age as me, had 5 children aged between 13 and 25 and became a grandmother last summer. When I was in my first year of secondary school my best friend's mum was 32. That's a decade younger than I am now and she had two teenage children (my friend had an older sister). I fell out with the friend a few years later but I heard she had a baby when she was 17, so her mum became a grandmother at 37, which is 5 years younger than I am now. Mr. Haven's 17 year old daughter had a pregnancy scare last year too, and if she had been pregnant that would have made him a grandfather at 38.

I don't live in rural Arkansas by the way, I just seem to know a lot of people who had children when they were very young. No wonder I've never wanted kids.

earl_sleek

I turned 37 a few months ago and suddenly feel like I'm nearly 40, although I guess internally I feel about 17 in that I can't say I've ever really felt 'grown up'.

Blue Jam

carmarriagekidscareer? What actually constitutes a "career" anyway? Surely any series of jobs is technically a career? And "jobs for life" don't really exist anymore. We're all temps. All scrambling.

I'm 40 in a few months. I guess I have what you could call a career. I'm also "settled down" but can't be arsed with marriage. Too childish to have children an' all. Can't drive and not in a hurry to rectify that. Don't think I'm ever going to grow up but I'm fine with that.

greenman

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 15, 2021, 01:58:25 PM
What actually constitutes a "career" anyway? Surely any series of jobs is technically a career? And "jobs for life" don't really exist anymore. We're all temps. All scrambling.

I'm 40 in a few months. I guess I have what you could call a career. Oh, and I'm "settled down" but can't be arsed with marriage. In general I'm childish as fuck though.

If "childish" means fun loving with a sense of humour then really I'd consider that pretty healthy and would hate to ever lose that aspect of myself.

I would say I'm quite significantly different in personality from myself 20 years ago in my early 20's but the shift is mostly in greater self confidence that probably makes me appear more childish today.

buttgammon

I'm 30, finishing up a PhD, working (but not full-time) and in a long-term relationship, so I'm somewhere between early 20s and my actual age in terms of where it feels like I am in life. If we even it out, I think I'm about 26.

Blue Jam

Quote from: greenman on April 15, 2021, 02:06:39 PM
If "childish" means fun loving with a sense of humour then really I'd consider that pretty healthy and would hate to ever lose that aspect of myself.

I dunno, I was probably a bit too amused by this lately:

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,79817.msg4519990.html#msg4519990

I specifically chose that particular punnet of mushrooms because I could see it contained one that looked like an arse.

Then again, I don't think I could trust anyone who goes shopping for vegetables and doesn't automatically select the rudest-looking ones. That's just not normal human behaviour.

katzenjammer

I was feeling like a teenager yesterday until my face slammed into the ground as I fell off my BMX. Back to 48 now. Maybe gained a few years

Sebastian Cobb

I look ahead and all I see is an endless series of chores I don't want to do.

Giving it the bartleby's until you prematurely stop living is frowned upon apparently.

greenman

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 15, 2021, 02:20:12 PM
I dunno, I was probably a bit too amused by this lately:

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,79817.msg4519990.html#msg4519990

I specifically chose that particular punnet of mushrooms because I could see it contained one that looked like an arse.

Then again, I don't think I could trust anyone who goes shopping for vegetables and doesn't automatically select the rudest-looking ones. That's just not normal human behaviour.

Wicked child.

Blue Jam

I also have a cactus in my office which I got when werk were giving out free plants as part of some wellbeing/mental health event. Naturally I chose the most phallic one I could find.

My office has been locked for over a year now though so it's almost certainly dead.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 15, 2021, 03:31:12 PM

I also have a cactus in my office which I got when werk were giving out free plants as part of some wellbeing/mental health event. Naturally I chose the most phallic one I could find.

My office has been locked for over a year now though so it's almost certainly dead.

Not necessarily they are pretty hardy (snarf!); we've got a very phallic one with (two little baby cacti's at the base) in the bathroom by the window that has become highly tumescent over the last 2 years (without any care I might add).  It casts a wonderful cock and balls silhouette on an evening if one is looking inwards from outside (the dirty bastards).

Blue Jam

My office has no windows though. A cactus might survive for a year without watering, but without light as well? :(

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 15, 2021, 03:51:51 PM
My office has no windows though. A cactus might survive for a year without watering, but without light as well? :(

But if there were no windows before? they do need to be objectified for their phallic features by humans though; otherwise they wilt and die.

Sherringford Hovis

chveik

You are still at Anthony's temptation.
The antics of abated zeal,
the grimaces of childish pride, the collapse and the terror.

mothman

Quote from: touchingcloth on April 15, 2021, 12:36:44 AM
And 34?

I was 34 when our eldest was born, so... I dunno really. I don't know if becoming a father matured me at all. Didn't feel like it at the time.

Quote from: Dr Rock on April 15, 2021, 06:46:49 AM
52, same. Although I'm not the same person I was when I was 35, 52 just does not compute. I suppose 40 at the most.

It's kinda weird. I'm 50 and I suddenly actually have something approaching a "career." A job, that I'm good at, that I enjoy doing, and that people seem to think I'm good at. Some of my colleagues doing the same role are 20yrs younger than me. If any of them judge me for being older, they hide it well. And if they do judge me, well, they're morons. They're merely fortunate to have landed in our line of work fresh out of uni or shortly after, while I was in my late 30s. I don't regret those 'lost' years, I was doing other stuff. I've had life experiences good and bad that they haven't. I know people my age who've worked there 20-30 years; they're utterly institutionalised. They wouldn't be able to handle the outside world. It helps that I am young-looking for my age! Early-mid 40s at the oldest, sometimes younger, people guess. 

shiftwork2

Pretty much feel my age.  I'm in good health but fitness is now something I really have to work at to achieve.  Which means I don't usually bother.  My life has some grown-up bits but generally the feeling is I've skirted around the edges and that's probably not going to change at this stage.