Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:58:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mitchell & Webb - Back Series 2 [split topic]

Started by Icehaven, January 23, 2021, 11:10:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

Pink Gregory

It's been too long since the first series to really want me to follow it up.  Although it ended on a cliffhanger I think they could have left it there even if it felt incomplete.

sevendaughters

me and the common-law spouse watched ep 1 of s1 the other night. was nice to see Stroud on the telly but it felt bafflingly thin. the scene in the cafe where he forlornly accepts responsibility for the dog tipped me over the edge. i got so fed up of David Mitchell playing spineless and chinless that i can't hack anymore, i don't think, unless it changes hugely.

Icehaven

Quote from: dirkgonnadirk on January 24, 2021, 12:33:03 PM
Is the whole thing out?

Yep, it was all available after the first episode was on TV last Thursday.

imitationleather

I watched the first half of episode 1 last night. I wasn't in a great mood but it seemed entirely laugh-free and I gave up when the ads started because All4 always makes me sit through too many.

Felt like they'd made it a lot broader and sitcommy?

nec1974

I don't think using a mix of writers helps the second series. The relationship between Stephen and Andrew seems very inconsistent and it's tonally uneven. There's one episode co-written with John Finnemore and you can recognise his input immediately.

It's amusing looking back across this thread at what does - or doesn't - happen as predicted. The ending is set up for a third series: whether it has the legs, I'm not convinced.

Icehaven

Quote from: nec1974 on January 24, 2021, 03:11:33 PM
I don't think using a mix of writers helps the second series. The relationship between Stephen and Andrew seems very inconsistent and it's tonally uneven.

Yep maybe that's why it all seems so inconsistent. They don't seem able to decide who is or isn't secretly evil and imply different intentions from episode to episode.
Spoiler alert
The vicar suddenly developing a glint in his eye when it becomes apparent he could inherit the pub (although don't several of them already have shares?) for example.
[close]
It could be deliberate to try and be twisty, or it could be different writers having different ideas about what to do with the characters.
The sister and uncle characters are very irritating as well, and
Spoiler alert
that sham gay wedding
[close]
storyline was just stupid. I know it's a comedy and not supposed to be realistic but there still has to be a limit or it's just a mess. The most realistic thing in the whole series was the houseshare that was full of older adults sharing by necessity rather than funky young bohemians.

sevendaughters

ok I put episode 2 on out of some strange fealty to Mitchell and Webb having made a couple of good series of something once upon a time and it is agonisingly bad, the vicar character, what the absolute fuck?

Icehaven

Also everyone over the age of 55 seems to be a completely gullible simpleton who can be manipulated like plasticine by cunning young con artists. It's like a hang up or something.

Jake Thingray

Quote from: sevendaughters on January 24, 2021, 12:29:01 PM
i got so fed up of David Mitchell playing spineless and chinless

It's an example of his ability to "do good impressions", presumably.

evilcommiedictator

Quote from: icehaven on January 24, 2021, 06:21:38 PM
Also everyone over the age of 55 seems to be a completely gullible simpleton who can be manipulated like plasticine by cunning young con artists.

Have you seen the Government and Lawrence Fox

St_Eddie

gilbertharding

I have to say I quite like the tv programme Back.

For me, though, it's slightly undercut by the fact that the attractive charismatic Andrew is played by the obviously balding Robert Webb.

BeardFaceMan

I quite like this too, I think a big part of that might be me only having seen a handful of Peep Show eps so I don't have that comparison or dynamic in my head. That, and Geoffrey McGivern being fantastic.

Panbaams

Bump. (This seemed like too small a thing to start a new thread.) There's a new Mitchell and Webb interview in the Bullseye with Jesse Thorne podcast, which takes an awkward turn in the last ten minutes when the host asks Webb about his criticism of the Mermaids charity.

Some background: https://twitter.com/jessethorn/status/1381974104593473542?s=21

paruses

Just listened to this and it's a bit awkward. Then had a quick Google as I can only dimly remember something about this happening. Top Google results are all in the past few hours - all of which look like they massively exaggerate the interview and what was said.

Tony Yeboah

I preferred it when Jim Bowen was the host.