Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:09:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Suits you, Sir (hot Bridge chat)

Started by pancreas, April 16, 2021, 11:34:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pancreas

Hi, my name is pancreas and I've been playing too much online Bridge, recently. It started as a way of keeping contact with parents during lockdown, but then I discovered bridgebase.com and I can see it swallowing me up, getting me fired from my job, losing my home etc.

The worst (best) thing I've found at the moment is this puzzle area they call Bridge Master. You get given a fabricated hand with a complete description of the bidding and you have to play against robots to make the contract. Each one requires you to winkle out some way of guaranteeing a win, despite unfavourable card distributions etc., and the computer will flip the cards around between the hands as you play to put the difficult cards in the wrong place while you play. You can go at the same game as many times as you like, or cheat for the solution. For example, you might be required to observe that in the first few rounds of tricks, opponents have played AKJ of two different suits, meaning that each opponent ought to be limited to another 4 HCPs (e.g. at most a K and J), or you would have expected them to open the bidding, which they didn't. This means that once you've established where another ace in one suit is, the Q of it must be in the other hand, so you can guarantee a finesse. That sort of thing. I find the variation in the techniques they use surprisingly rich and devious. I can play this thing for hours and hours on end and once I've started, it's very hard to stop.

Thread for all your hot Bridge chat.

Buelligan

Yeah, nice.  Never, ever, going to join you, too much enforced bridge as a child.  I will never endure another rubber, that is my sacred promise to my infant self.

Cuellar

Parents tried to teach me Bridge last summer but then dad died so that coalboxed that.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Cuellar on April 16, 2021, 12:02:25 PM
Parents tried to teach me Bridge last summer but then dad died so that coalboxed that.

This sounds a bit like the setup of a film, where your Dad's ghost barks motivational mumbo jumbo at you from behind a cloud as you try and become the Bridge Master in order to infiltrate and defeat a gang of local paedophiles.

Also sorry to read that about your Dad (honestly)

Cuellar

Thanks. Yeah could be a good film. Although I'd just get DadGhost to tell me what the other players have in their hands (would that work with bridge? Got to surely).

Maybe I need to finally learn bridge in his honour (although to be fair it was mostly mum telling me the rules, dad sort of wandered off halfway through to watch a programme about Jurgen Klopp). Is there an online bridge thing where you can play against bots, or do you need a human partner at least?

dissolute ocelot

My dad had a bridge computer in the mid 80s, like a console that you plugged into the TV, except all it did was present bridge hands for you to play.

I did take up bridge later, as a student, when it provided the ideal opportunity to stay up late with 3 friends drinking wine boxes. But after a few years we discovered Texas Hold Em poker.

pancreas

Quote from: Cuellar on April 16, 2021, 01:07:23 PM
Thanks. Yeah could be a good film. Although I'd just get DadGhost to tell me what the other players have in their hands (would that work with bridge? Got to surely).

Maybe I need to finally learn bridge in his honour (although to be fair it was mostly mum telling me the rules, dad sort of wandered off halfway through to watch a programme about Jurgen Klopp). Is there an online bridge thing where you can play against bots, or do you need a human partner at least?

Get yourself on bridgebase and do the bridge master beginner games. Probably best first to watch some introductory videos on the youtubes.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Are there some drugs which wouldn't impede your bridge playing ability? Let's pick a drug, for example: Drugs

?

Dr Trouser

Quote from: pancreas on April 16, 2021, 11:34:20 AM, I can see it swallowing me up, getting me fired from my job, losing my home etc.

Sounds like you're turning into an acolholic

Endicott

Have you considered pulling yourself together?