Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:40:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Excerpts from Burchill's book (it's as unhinged as it is antisemitic)

Started by Sebastian Cobb, April 16, 2021, 12:16:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

I know she's had a few threads recently, after being dropped by her publishers a few times and having to pay damages to Ash Sarkar for a load of islamophobic bollocks. But her book is off the wall if this thread is anything to go by:

https://twitter.com/nathanoseroff/status/1382705346834219009

She seems to fetishise Jewish people whilst committing basic acts of sacrilege and desecration, that even I, a gentile imbecile know are forbidden.

AllisonSays

Jesus Christ this is much funnier than I could have anticipated even with what I know about Burchill's mien. Appalling, astonishing ignorance and vapidity.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: bgmnts on April 16, 2021, 12:37:25 PM
Being thick here but who the fuck is reading this shit?

The cabal of contrarian arseholes from the 90s altright journalism scene and their freshly cancelled previously 'left of centre' compadres who have slowly discovered they have more in common with reactionaries like her than young progressive journalists.

The people who hate Burchill and apparently still seem to want fresh evidence to reinforce why.

Ultimately, we should leave her stranded on some marshland and go off for cigs as she sinks into the quagmire. Attention is her oxygen.

Ferris

That is some thread. I know it isn't fair to judge a book by a few pre-selected paragraphs, but it does seem fairly unhinged.

Buelligan

She's an appalling person.  Her publishers should be made to live with her forever.

jobotic

Who is her publisher? She dumped the Nazi one through a rare display of embarrassment didn't she? Or at least a financial calculation.

Cuellar

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 16, 2021, 12:16:09 PM
I know she's had a few threads recently, after being dropped by her publishers a few times and having to pay damages to Ash Sarkar for a load of islamophobic bollocks. But her book is off the wall if this thread is anything to go by:

Just to clarify that this Twitter thread is about Unchosen: The Memoirs of a Philo-Semite, Burchill's bonkers 2014 book, not her upcoming one she's trying to find a white supremacist to print and bind. Unchosen was brutally reviewed by Will Self towards the end of this article:
QuoteAbout 12 years ago I profiled Burchill for the Independent on Sunday. I wrote then that she presented the bizarre spectacle of an intelligent woman who had spent her entire adult life making herself more stupid; this process has now reached its inevitable conclusion, and she has become to all intents and purposes moronic.

Kankurette

I've seen Stormfront posts that are less antisemitic than that drivel.

willbo

I thought she was "rabidly" pro Israel and anti Palestine in the 00s?

Janie Jones

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 16, 2021, 12:41:17 PM

Ultimately, we should leave her stranded on some marshland and go off for cigs as she sinks into the quagmire. Attention is her oxygen.

Quite, so why are we fussing over a seven year old book?

Sebastian Cobb

Probably because I'm an idiot.

Still at least my instinct that creating threads isn't generally worth the hassle has been reinforced.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 16, 2021, 06:30:17 PM
Still at least my instinct that creating threads isn't generally worth the hassle has been reinforced.

Please continue. People have enjoyed the thread.

I instantly took Janie's post at face value, but quickly realised she's actually probably pointing out a flaw in Shoulders' argument; i.e. if you say they're best ignored, why are you talking about them?

Then I wondered - as I have before - why he always insists it's impossible for a small comedy discussion messageboard to come together to ignore trolls, but repeatedly advocates doing just that for people who have a large public presence :-)

Sebastian Cobb

Johnny Yesno

She wants to bury that shit and find new people to hoodwink. I don't think it hurts to keep digging it up. Similarly, I don't think enough people had previously seen that Rod Liddle article that she defended with her racism. It was also great to see the Spectator reveal itself for what it is by defending it too. All in all, a good episode of Watching the Far Right Cheerleaders Smear Themselves in Their Own Shit.

Kankurette

I had to explain to my brother that Burchill is NOT Jewish. He thought she was. As someone in the thread said, if she was that arsed she would have converted, but it was too much effort. Liberal conversions take a year or so, but even then you have homework. Part of my conversion requirement was to attend classes and we learned a mixture of Jewish history and religious stuff, the meaning of festivals and whatnot. And it wasn't just about Israel (though it did come up), IIRC we talked about the diaspora, early Jewish history and so on. Obviously you can't become ethnically Jewish, and I've had a couple of people tell me I'm not a real Jew because I converted. But joining the tribe takes work. You don't just say a prayer or get dunked in some water. If you're converting Orthodox, which Burchill could NEVER have hacked, there is a good chance the rabbi will turn you away as much as three times to see if you're genuine. Hell, mine tried to put me off, although he was more subtle about it. It' also not uncommon for the convert to live with an Orthodox family to immerse themselves in an observant life. Orthodox conversions can also take years. I think it probably depends where you go.

Also, there is no such thing as a Jewish flag, Julie, you putz.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 16, 2021, 12:16:09 PM

AS AN ALPHA FEMALE

i will literally wrap (a "Jewish" flag) around me and cry like a baby

could I pass as Jewish????

A SUMPTUOUS BANQUET OF RADIANT HUMANITY

no no this can't be real, she has to be taking the piss

Kankurette

So does she mention, IDK, the Shema or the old Seder get together or Yom Kippur? Owt religious?

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Kankurette on April 17, 2021, 01:30:35 AM
So does she mention, IDK, the Shema or the old Seder get together or Yom Kippur? Owt religious?
She talks about bleeding on a Torah

she also fetishizes Jewish people and I was going to quote some of it but it's seriously offensive

Kankurette

So she desecrated a Jewish prayer book. Or even worse, a scroll.

Fucking HELL.

Buelligan

I'm thinking she's most likely one of the old time trolls they had before the internet.

Mister Six

Worse. At least internet trolls are emboldened by anonymity. Burchill's been doing this kind of shite under her own name for years. Pure desperate attention-seeking awfulness.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Kankurette on April 17, 2021, 09:28:31 AM
So she desecrated a Jewish prayer book. Or even worse, a scroll.

Fucking HELL.

The quote is actually quite funny, if you take Julie Birchill as a comedy character.

idunnosomename

Spiked had to apologise over Brendan Forehead's "Burchil cancelled book cancelled you couldn't make it up" to admit that actually it is possible to make it up

Endicott

Quote from: willbo on April 16, 2021, 05:57:19 PM
I thought she was "rabidly" pro Israel and anti Palestine in the 00s?

She still is. The point here is she is so ignorant that in her writings she is accidentally anti-semetic almost every other sentence[nb]or it's all an elaborate trollish technique, take your pick. I don't think she has the wit to do that[/nb]. Read that twitter thread if you haven't already.