Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:58:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Another mass shooting in the states

Started by bgmnts, April 16, 2021, 01:56:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BritishHobo

BritishHobo

Dusty Substance

I'm old enough to remember when seeing a news story like this that I'd gasp and exclaim at what a tragedy it is.

22 years since Columbine and Christ knows how many mass shootings since, a headline reading "Indianapolis mass shooting: Eight dead at FedEx facility" doesn't make me flinch at all any more. Of course, I know it's a terrible and horrific event, but the initial impact of seeing that headline does nothing to me.

It's never going to end, is it?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteIndianapolis police: 'Emotions are very high' after FedEx facility shooting

Unlike the emotions of the eight dead people that no longer exist, who have calmed down about it judging from their current demeanour.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Bit of a retro "going postal" one this time then.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Let's get the stock reactions out of the way with:

'Thoughts and prayers'
'This is why we need guns, a man with a gun could have stopped him'
'Anyway you will never get gun reform in the US so why even try'

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 16, 2021, 02:05:59 PM

'Thoughts and prayers'

Also any comment assuming it's an Islamic terrorist/white supremacist (delete as applicable) before we know anything at all.

Butchers Blind

Let them have as many guns as they want, until they kill everyone. It's the only way this will end over there.

El Unicornio, mang

'Thoughts and prayers'

'Now is not the time to be talking about gun control, so soon after a tragedy'

Yes let's wait a few days. Oh wait another mass shooting, better give it another few days, etc. forever.

The right is loving this, they can blame every tragedy that happens in America this year on Biden being elected. I mean I already knew what the comments were going to be before looking, but

QuoteAnytime the Democrats start crying about gun control shootings start.
Hmmmm

The mental gymnastics required to think like that...

Barry Admin

'Thoughts and prayers'

'Apparently he had a lot of mental problems and was very disturbed, so...'

JesusAndYourBush

niat

"The Gun Violence Archive puts the number of gun violence deaths from all causes at 12,395 so far this year in the US, of which 147 were in mass shootings. Last year saw a total of 43,549 deaths, and 610 in mass shootings."

Fucking hell!

El Unicornio, mang

'Guns don't kill people, people kill people'

I mean you can use this stupid logic for anything. 'cars don't crash, people crash', 'alcohol doesn't get you drunk, moving your arm to lift the glass to your mouth and consume the contents gets you drunk'.

Attila

'Thoughts and prayers'

One from my mother: 'I really wish you'd move back home to the US, where you'd be safer.'

Even after you point out the latest shooting or whatever back home.

Mister Six

Quote from: Attila on April 16, 2021, 03:44:11 PM
One from my mother: 'I really wish you'd move back home to the US, where you'd be safer.'

Even after you point out the latest shooting or whatever back home.

Where are you living at the mo, Atilla? I should remember this kind of stuff about the forum but I'm rubbish.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Attila on April 16, 2021, 03:44:11 PM

That reminds me of an interview I heard a couple of years ago, an American was saying he doesn't feel safe in Europe because nobody has guns.  As he said it I was thinking that I wouldn't feel safe in America for the opposite reason.

Attila

Quote from: Mister Six on April 16, 2021, 04:00:33 PM
Where are you living at the mo, Atilla? I should remember this kind of stuff about the forum but I'm rubbish.

Been living full time in the south of England for about 10 years (in the 20 years or so before that, I'd spend about 3 months a year in the UK).

She was absolutely convinced I was in mortal danger the entire time I was living here/ any time I took a trip to the continent for uni work or just for whatever. In in weekly phone calls she would beg me to come back to live with her -- in Florida -- where it was much safer. If I pointed out to her all the gun craziness in the US, she'd just ignore me and tell me she was afraid for my safety with me living 'among all those crazy people over there.'

A while back, I had a pal from England come visit me in the US, and we were driving to Philadelphia to have a day out (and it was a good day!) He was having a grand time as I drove along I-95, flipping the bird off at people and shouting out the window, til I told him to cut it the fuck out before someone shot us. Sobered him up right quick.

I grew up with loads of (loaded) guns in the house, as my father collected them, and both brothers carry them. We had to be really careful when my father died and my non-tosser brother came to help clear out the house as not only was my father a hoarder, but he'd left loaded guns under furniture, under the bed, whatever, in case he suddenly needed to defend his stuff against a marauder.

Good times was the time my tosser brother decided to buy a .44 and thought it would be funny to follow me all over the house, pointing it at me. Surprisingly, from my point of view, it wasn't funny, and scared the living shit out of me. My mother gave ME hell for overreacting.

Summer weekends were accompanied by the sounds of the gun club shooters up the road from dawn to dusk.

I had my own house in Virginia for a while, deep in the woods, few neighbours, with my ex and our little sheep flock. It was fine except from October through to January, when it was hunting season, starting with bow & arrow, then going through to black powder, then normal guns. We had to cover the sheeps' enclosure with bright orange flags and ribbons, and had to wear blaze orange jackets and hats just to go into our own goddamned back garden because if you got shot by the asshole hunters who descended on the rural countryside every year, it was actually YOUR fault for not wearing bright orange.

We were constantly having to chase people off the property who set up deer blinds or tried to camp in our section of the woods, often within sight of houses -- not only with our animals, but the people next door had young children. I lived 1/2 mile down a dirt road to get to the main road/where the mailbox was, and I'd walk up the dirt road past normal houses and junky 'hunting cabins' that people stayed in. Every year we ended up adopting a crippled or old hunting dog that got left behind or dumped by the arseholes who ran them through the woods to flush out game.

It was probably 1000% more dangerous just in my house growing up than any situation I've been in over here in the UK, but no way to convince my mother of that.

I don't miss that culture, at all.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Barry Admin on April 16, 2021, 03:30:32 PM
'Apparently he had a lot of mental problems and was very disturbed, so...'

... how the fuck did he get a gun? Surely that has something to do with how easily available they are?"

2nd Amendment Disciples don't like that one though.

Maybe they should solve mass shootings in America by shooting everyone in the entire Country? If they're all dead, there can be no more mass shootings.

JamesTC

You'd think God would have done something about this by now.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: JamesTC on April 16, 2021, 05:36:05 PM
You'd think God would have done something about this by now.

It's just that the innocent murder victims had been acting immorally in some other ways so God let it happen as part of his plan.

Chedney Honks

Why don't these numbskulls turn the gun on their damn self BEFORE shooting up a mall etc?

Like, hellooooo?!

😂😂😂

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on April 16, 2021, 03:42:22 PM
'Guns don't kill people, people kill people'

I mean you can use this stupid logic for anything. 'cars don't crash, people crash', 'alcohol doesn't get you drunk, moving your arm to lift the glass to your mouth and consume the contents gets you drunk'.

'Guns don't kill people. Death kills people.'

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Guns don't kill people, rappers do
Sound of the police, woo woo woo

touchingcloth

When you stare closely at the negative space between the "e" and the "x" in the FedEx logo, you get shot to death by a colleague.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: bgmnts on April 16, 2021, 01:56:33 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56770200

Quote"We'll never really know all the ins and outs of why this occurred, but we'll try our best," said police chief Randal Taylor.

Odd statement, very odd statement.

JamesTC

When America colonises the moon, the number of mass shooting will remain a constant.