Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:15:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

India not on red list despite new varient

Started by Fambo Number Mive, April 16, 2021, 06:31:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

I presume this is because of Brexit - Johnson wants a trade deal with India so doesn't want to offend Modi by putting the country on the red list.

I see he is going ahead with his visit as part of the desperate attempt to get as many trade deals as possible, despite there being over 150,000 COVID cases a day in India for the past few weeks.

Don't bring the new variant back, Johnson! Nobody wants a fourth lockdown.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56777062

Chedney Honks

Not heard from my mate in Mumbai for months. Cunt's probably dead.

BlodwynPig

Catalogue Trousers

Just what my own sister was approving the idea of on Facebook earlier today. I love her dearly, and she's not stupid, but I felt at once that there was no point arguing. Nothing's going to shift her on that one.

Even with permanent restrictions in place new variants would emerge. And just because it's a new variant that doesn't necessarily mean it's any more deadly - the opposite is usually true. 'Scary' new variants just give Johnson and his cadre of psychos an excuse to impose more restrictions, something which they're clearly itching to do.

Zetetic

MojoJojo

The Andromeda strain wasn't a documentary.

(seriously, the it evolved to become harmless despite there being no evolutionary pressure to do so has annoyed me since I saw it)

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Wanking Monk of Kefalonia on April 17, 2021, 02:10:58 PM
Even with permanent restrictions in place new variants would emerge. And just because it's a new variant that doesn't necessarily mean it's any more deadly - the opposite is usually true. 'Scary' new variants just give Johnson and his cadre of psychos an excuse to impose more restrictions, something which they're clearly itching to do.

Wise words Prof. Onanism, link to your peer-reviewed papers please.

steveh

Why you should worry about B.1.617: https://twitter.com/chrischirp/status/1383905260603789313
Why you may not need to worry about B.1.617: https://twitter.com/jcbarret/status/1383872820724174854

TLDR: not enough research or data yet to classify it as a Variant Of Concern, but from what is known so far likely not as transmissible as B.1.1.7 - UK cases are generally imported, not locally spread - and all vaccines should deal with it fine.

scarecrow

Apparently the red list is determined by an independent body, specifically the one that PHE was restructured into and has only existed for 19 days. I think Dido Harding is in charge of it?

Fambo Number Mive

On the red list from the 23rd. No explantion from the government as to why it has taken this long. 103 UK cases of the Indian variant according to Hancock.

Edit: sorry bgmnts, had my post Iin draft for a few mins and I think hit send just after you did.

BlodwynPig

Also seeing an uptick in cases more generally.

Pinball

Quote from: scarecrow on April 19, 2021, 11:55:26 AMI think Dido Harding is in charge of it?
Oh dear. Nepotistic chums of the elite. Great and the good. We're fucked.

Fambo Number Mive

Whilst Brexiteers claim (incorrectly) that the UK vaccine program would have been slower if Brexit had not happened, they don't seem to be considering how India might have been put on the red list earlier if Johnson hadn't been so concerned about a trade deal with India.

Pinball

Do you think we'd have had the vaccine quicker if the UK was still in the EU?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The EU wide rollout would have been better with the UK being part of it, which is surely the main thing given the virus doesn't obey international borders.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 23, 2021, 06:58:21 AM
The EU wide rollout would have been better with the UK being part of it, which is surely the main thing given the virus doesn't obey international borders.

Pinball is a big P patriot

Pinball

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 23, 2021, 08:04:02 AM
Pinball is a big P patriot
You don't know what I am, but as it happens I'm not. The dangers of making assumptions. I do have a P in my name though :-) 

MojoJojo

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 23, 2021, 06:58:21 AM
The EU wide rollout would have been better with the UK being part of it,

There's no real evidence of that is there? A lot of the problem with EU rollout was contracts not being signed quickly enough, and I don't see how the UK being unvolved would have helped that.

Pinball

Quote from: MojoJojo on April 23, 2021, 09:25:41 AM
There's no real evidence of that is there? A lot of the problem with EU rollout was contracts not being signed quickly enough, and I don't see how the UK being unvolved would have helped that.
Probably would have made things more complicated and hence even slower. The UK was required to adhere to EU vaccine strategy and not have any say despite paying in its share (due to Brexit), so decided to go its own way, that happened to be much more efficient, faster and bigger spending (UK spent more than EU combined). Our drug regulator was also much faster to approve than EMA. There was a detailed piece in the Guardian about the history of this. So it's objectively pretty clear we would not have got vaccine quicker from within the EU process.