Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:29:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Caterpillar fake

Started by Butchers Blind, April 17, 2021, 10:42:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Butchers Blind

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56756731

M&S getting a bit arsey over Aldi stealing their cake design. Aldi and Lidl do have form in this regard whereby some of their products are familiar in look to the more well known brands.

bgmnts

Hope M&S lose this badly.

idunnosomename

Its a fucking swiss roll with a face on it

JamesTC

Doesn't even taste like caterpillar.

Butchers Blind

Quote from: JamesTC on April 17, 2021, 10:51:45 AM
Doesn't even taste like caterpillar.

If you leave it long enough it does turn into one of these..

Gurke and Hare

I wonder why they've gone after this one specifically? All the supermarkets do a Colin rip off - Sainsbury's have Wiggles and Tesco have Curly and all the other ones do too.

When McVities sued Asda over their Puffin biscuits, which are Penguin ripoffs the outcome was that they could carry on making the biscuits, but they had to change the packaging to look less like Penguins, so perhaps Cuthbert has the most Colin-like packaging? Here's Cuthbert:

I can't find a picture of Colin's packaging in isolation, but the M&S Colin page[nb]on which the Colin the Caterpillar trifle recipe looks pretty sweet[/nb] has it in this picture of the Colin Gift Bag:

Pretty similar, but more so than the Tesco or Sainsbury's versions?

Hardly. Here's a thing too - when Cuthbert went on sale in 2019 Metro wrote a story about it because the people who work for Metro are real journalists covering all the most important stories. This picture featured:

At that point, the Colin packaging, as you can see, is a much darker green than the Cuthbert packaging, but at some point between then and now Colin's packaging has been changed so that it's more like the Cuthbert packaging. Perhaps Aldi should be suing M&S?

idunnosomename

I think its because M&S are a bunch of flailing hasbeen dingbats whose clothes are fucking awful and their food horrifically overpriced

Aldi should stick a few more legs on it and change its name to 'Cunty The Passive Aggressive Centipede'.

Buelligan

It's odd because a big part of M&S's thing is it sells "classics" that are supposed to be high quality at "affordable" prices.  It's pitched at aspirational shoppers.  Not only does it (I understand) scour WIs and farmers' markets for lovely (often traditional) cake and other recipes and exploit them commercially.  In their clothing ranges, they offer cashmere and so on, classic shapes - designed for people who want a Chanel look at a high street price.  And if you think the logo on the bag below lets them off, take a gander at this signature jewellery designed by Paloma Picasso[nb][/nb]

M&S bag and the competition's

I don't care about this but it does seem a bit off to get upset when other shops do the same.

BlodwynPig

Jittlebags

They should have gone for a cock cake.  https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0362/1653/files/White_Penis_Cake_London_1024x1024.jpg?v=1601807800

NSFW unless your work approves of cock shaped cakes - with all spunk coming out of it.

Butchers Blind

Quote from: Jittlebags on April 17, 2021, 11:58:10 AM
They should have gone for a cock cake.  https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0362/1653/files/White_Penis_Cake_London_1024x1024.jpg?v=1601807800

NSFW unless your work approves of cock shaped cakes - with all spunk coming out of it.

So want to gobble that down, and I'm not gay.

H-O-W-L

The Dog

Caterpillar is basically maggot.

olliebean

Quote from: Butchers Blind on April 17, 2021, 10:57:56 AM

Outstanding.

idunnosomename

Genuinely not thought about butterfly cakes for 30 years. A Proustian gag indeed

Jasha

Quote from: Buelligan on April 17, 2021, 11:39:44 AM
It's odd because a big part of M&S's thing is it sells "classics" that are supposed to be high quality at "affordable" prices.  It's pitched at aspirational shoppers. 

They must think their customers are thick as chips to confuse Aldi with M&S though you do see a lot of Aldi shopping being put in Waitrose carrier bags

Buelligan

Yes, that wasn't really what I meant.  I meant that Marks' business model is greatly based on the idea that a person can buy an object (a handbag or a cake) of high quality for an "affordable" price.  Their complaint about the Aldi cake is that the customer might confuse it with their own caterpillar comestible but be disappointed, find that the quality was not the same.

This seems odd, given their Chanel-style bag.  Would anyone buying that bag believe that the quality of the two bags will be similar?  I doubt it. 

Surely, were quality is concerned, isn't it more likely that a cake, made industrially, with cake ingredients (which are fairly standard and inexpensive) is more likely, quality-wise, to be comparable with a similarly made product, than a handbag, where the materials used and the skill and time in assembling them may be considerably different.

BlodwynPig

Aldi customers tend to paw the food before buying, so its more likely that Cuthbert has traces of urea and faeces on it...so there is that.

seepage

HOW DARE YOU! Fair cop though.

Kankurette

Quote from: Jittlebags on April 17, 2021, 11:58:10 AM

That cock is just a little bit too realistic. They should make one that squirts jam.
Quote from: Butchers Blind on April 17, 2021, 10:57:56 AM

Mmmmm

Captain Z

Quote from: Corduroy Castle on April 17, 2021, 11:39:09 AM
Aldi should stick a few more legs on it and change its name to 'Cunty The Passive Aggressive Centipede'.

Or to troll even harder, "Mands" the Millipede.

Video Game Fan 2000

SPARKS THE BOTFLY LARVA FROM STEVE ROWE'S TERRIBLE BLOTCHY ARSECHEEK
a delicious swissroll with ruby chocolate icing and lollipops

Kankurette

Colin the Cunterpillar.

I'm sure Cuthbert is just as tasty. He does come from Aldi and they do a fine cake.

Video Game Fan 2000

Colin looks annoyingly enthusiastic about something.
Cuthbert just looks drunk.

greenman

Quote from: idunnosomename on April 17, 2021, 11:32:45 AM
I think its because M&S are a bunch of flailing hasbeen dingbats whose clothes are fucking awful and their food horrifically overpriced

Still not nearly as shitty employers as Aldi though.

Buelligan

Although they showed a graph on TyskySour the other night - a comparison of hourly pay across supermarkets - M&S paying £8.50 (£9.60 in London) and Aldi, only beaten by Sainsburys paywise, paying £9.10 (£10.60).  Can't find an image but you can see it at 8.00 here, if you want to.

BlodwynPig

Aldi are the 'this will do' of supermarkets. When I lived in Bremerhaven they were the Fortnum and Mason's of supermarket though, compared to the ones closer to me which were only good for jars of pickles.

Pijlstaart

I support their action. Certainly I've never been packaged and marketed as a confectionary caterpillar, but it's at the forefront of my mind, I travel by crawling, I'm a minor agricultural pest and frequently have smarties stuck to my back. Think a discerning M&S customer would realise the mix-up at the birthday candle stage, but the typical snot-bubbling ALDI shopper, cutting me up on a tv dinner tray balanced on their knee as they argue with the bailiffs, perhaps not, my screams drowned out by the din of poverty, the shrieking trachoma babies, dogfighting rings and burbling mudpits. No thanks chief, if I'm getting sliced into 12, it'll be in a rich man's house.

Kankurette

Quote from: greenman on April 17, 2021, 03:18:15 PM
Still not nearly as shitty employers as Aldi though.
I'd say M&S are up there. My mum was treated like shit when she worked for them.