Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 01:11:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Accident ate Jalfrezi

Started by bgmnts, April 17, 2021, 11:01:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Just finished it.

I hate spicy food and for some reason thought jalfrezi was like medium level.

I'm not enjoying my life right now.

Where is your Scoville limit? Post your stories/big dick spice energy here.

idunnosomename

Once i ate a meat-a-ball and i declared "yow! Thatsa spicy meat-a-ball!"

Chedney Honks

imitationleather

BlodwynPig

11:01 am - finished curry

living his best life

steveh

An ex of mine once bought bonnet peppers (100,000–350,000 Scoville units) from the market thinking they were small bell peppers (100 units). We had to throw out the meal.

Jasha

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Jasha on April 17, 2021, 12:42:09 PM
This is how it feels to really be alive

Absolutely. Hot chillies are the BDSM of food. Quit complaining and enjoy the endorphin rush, bgmnts. You have the follow-up 11-minute burn to look forward to.

El Unicornio, mang

A friend of mine is a proper spice lover, and when he was in Indonesia ordering a curry he told them to "give me the spiciest thing you've got". His experience was not pleasant.

I like medium spice level (Bhuna is perfect for me). Got a takeaway Vindaloo once and it was tasty but also horribly painful, got through 2 pints of milk to finish it.

Thursday

Jalfrezi is fine but don't eat ALL the green chillies you get with it, just a couple as a treat is fine but too many and your bum is fucked.

bgmnts

Quote from: Thursday on April 17, 2021, 01:05:41 PM
Jalfrezi is fine but don't eat ALL the green chillies you get with it, just a couple as a treat is fine but too many and your bum is fucked.

Yeah I wont lie I'm dropping molten mulch now.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: bgmnts on April 17, 2021, 01:08:34 PM
Yeah I wont lie I'm dropping molten guts now.

Why are you eating curry before noon, explain yourself

bgmnts

I got a curry from last night and had the rice last night and the jalfrezi this morning.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Thursday on April 17, 2021, 01:05:41 PM
too many and your bum is fucked.

Literally. Can confirm.

I know some people who eat curry from the night before cold. Same kind of weirdos who refrigerate chocolate.

Sebastian Cobb

I'll happily go up to madras in a curry house. I wouldn't want a take away vindaloo but there's a really good goan lamb vindaloo in the hairy bikers book that is completely different to that and really nice, wouldn't mind having one of them cooked by the professionals.

Saag paneer or chicken depending on how I'm feeling is my usual goto.

I once made a chilli sauce with scotch bonnets and I touched my arm and it burned, usually you hear these stories about sensitive areas like eyes or toilet areas but I'd not been aware it can happen on not particularly sensitive skin.

Dayraven

Quote from: bgmnts on April 17, 2021, 11:01:59 AM
for some reason thought jalfrezi was like medium level.
Varies between medium and hot depending where you get it, possibly more than most other curries do.

Sebastian Cobb

Forgot about how good chicken darbari is as well, but lots of places don't do it.

Bazooka

I've never met anyone who can touch my spice tolerance, UK or overseas, if it wasn't for covid I'd accept any challenger here and scoville your bowels under the table.

I can't wait to get back to Beijing and embarrass the locals and the limp tongued expats at the Hot and Spicy festival.

The fact that Phaal is the top level available in a curry house is an insult to my pristine pallet. The downside is cooking for anyone else, my mild is another person's collapsed arse.

/Ego Wank Off

GoblinAhFuckScary

been going through my dried carolina reapers my partner got me

they are soooooo yum

the packet says 1500000+ scoville

SpiderChrist

Dhansak is my favourite. Perfect combination of heat and flavour.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Bazooka on April 17, 2021, 01:55:12 PM
I've never met anyone who can touch my spice tolerance, UK or overseas, if it wasn't for covid I'd accept any challenger here and scoville your bowels under the table.

I can't wait to get back to Beijing and embarrass the locals and the limp tongued expats at the Hot and Spicy festival.

The fact that Phaal is the top level available in a curry house is an insult to my pristine pallet. The downside is cooking for anyone else, my mild is another person's collapsed arse.

/Ego Wank Off

Phaalus Dei

BlodwynPig

Quote from: SpiderChrist on April 17, 2021, 01:58:42 PM
Dhansak is my favourite. Perfect combination of heat and flavour.

My favourite in the early years of ex domum curry eating until I tried an 'authentic' dhansak in Brighton Grove and managed one forkful before leaving the establishment in tears.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

My tolerance for capsaicin is very high, but I don't tend to go for the real freakshow megahot stuff. They generally don't taste of much beyond the burning.

SpiderChrist

Had a side dish of deep-fried green chillies at Dishoom in Manchester. Bloody lovely.

idunnosomename

Got a vesta beef curry from B&Ms once and it right blew my head off!!!!

Kankurette

Quote from: bgmnts on April 17, 2021, 11:01:59 AM
Just finished it.

I hate spicy food and for some reason thought jalfrezi was like medium level.

I'm not enjoying my life right now.

Where is your Scoville limit? Post your stories/big dick spice energy here.
Medium. Thai red curry is the limit - I can't remember if I've eaten jalfrezi. I have IBS and overly spicy food gives me the shits, and I made a vindaloo once and it took half a tub of raita and four glasses of milk to get the cunt down. I think the fact it had a CUP OF VINEGAR didn't help. Not doing that again. I made a Nigerian peanut stew recently as I have some red palm oil I need to use up. That was fairly piquant, it has Scotch bonnets, but a couple of those things I can tolerate. I've cooked with them before. One greengrocer warned me that they were spicy and I reassured him I knew. I think ghosts are meant to be the really hot ones, aren't they? Jalapenos burn a bit, but are tolerable.
Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 17, 2021, 01:21:23 PM
I'll happily go up to madras in a curry house. I wouldn't want a take away vindaloo but there's a really good goan lamb vindaloo in the hairy bikers book that is completely different to that and really nice, wouldn't mind having one of them cooked by the professionals.

Saag paneer or chicken depending on how I'm feeling is my usual goto.

I once made a chilli sauce with scotch bonnets and I touched my arm and it burned, usually you hear these stories about sensitive areas like eyes or toilet areas but I'd not been aware it can happen on not particularly sensitive skin.
I've got chilblains. Chopping Scotch bonnets was a tad painful. Also, I've been stupid enough to rub my eyes after cutting chillis. Never ever do that. Or pick your nose.

Paneer is fit. I love saag paneer and mattar paneer.

mothman

Jalfrezi is as high as I go, and even then I tend to avoid it because the heat can vary so much. I'd sooner try an interesting-sounding chef's special - a jalfrezi is what I'd go for if there was nothing else i fancied. Each to their own, but I just don't see the point in all these insanely hot chilli dishes. How can you possibly taste anything apart from the heat?

EDIT: proper vindaloo needn't even be that spicy. It's all about the the vinegar. I have a Goan pork & lamb vibdaloo recipe that is perfect for leftover roast or barbecued lamb.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Why do Morrisons no longer make this cunt? They were next level. They also used to do a Phaal that was even more evil.

Ferris

Once had a drop of hot sauce that purported to be a million scovilles. It wasn't very nice, but tolerable. I don't know why they exist tbh.

A jalfrezi is the top of my spice level, will usually keep it bhoona-tier or lower.

Ok cheers

El Unicornio, mang

I remember getting a Korma at a restaurant once and was sweating but because of something unrelated to the spice level, I still get shit off my mates about it 10+ years later.