Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,497
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 06:39:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Accident ate Jalfrezi

Started by bgmnts, April 17, 2021, 11:01:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpiderChrist

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on April 17, 2021, 03:13:19 PM
I remember getting a Korma at a restaurant once and was sweating but because of something unrelated to the spice level, I still deservedly get shit off my mates about it 10+ years later.

El Unicornio, mang

That's reasonable. I don't even like Korma (or any creamy food that isn't dessert) not sure why I got it.

Sebastian Cobb

The Nepalese I used to go to had some mango flavoured and strawberry flavoured Korma type dishes, I think I tried the mango one when I had a 2 for 1... it wasn't very nice.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on April 17, 2021, 03:21:06 PM
That's reasonable. I don't even like Korma (or any creamy food that isn't dessert) not sure why I got it.

Phew. Was worried I'd been too nice.

A shatkora is a most flavoursome dish, and not particularly hot iiirc

https://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/bangladeshi-beef-shatkora-recipe

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I remember getting a Korma at a restaurant once and was sweating but because of something unrelated to the spice level, I still get shit off my mates about it 10+ years later.

Menopause?

Ferris

chocky909

Quote from: Bazooka on April 17, 2021, 01:55:12 PM
I've never met anyone who can touch my spice tolerance, UK or overseas, if it wasn't for covid I'd accept any challenger here and scoville your bowels under the table.

I can't wait to get back to Beijing and embarrass the locals and the limp tongued expats at the Hot and Spicy festival.

The fact that Phaal is the top level available in a curry house is an insult to my pristine pallet. The downside is cooking for anyone else, my mild is another person's collapsed arse.

/Ego Wank Off

Why anyone would have an ego boost for being able to withstand heat is beyond me. The tolerance is nothing to do with bravery. It just a matter of how your system reacts to chilli heat. An analogy is like being slightly deaf therefore being able to tolerate loud noise. No reason to act like you're doing anything impressive. Not like you've been training for many years, slowly building up your tolerance like a curry stained Batman.

There is an element of toughness when you go slightly above whatever your comfort level is but it's still basically a genetic trait how extremely your body responds to capsaicin.

Fr.Bigley

I have no aversion to spice at all. Grew up eating the hottest of dishes, Done the Phaal a few times in Bratfud, fuck all. No ill effects the day after either. Ironically though, If I eat jarred Jalepeno's, the ones in vinegar, my guts feel like I'm about to go all John Hurt in Alien. Is this phenomenon due to the preservation of the peppers? I need to know. 

Video Game Fan 2000

I remember getting a Korma at a restaurant once and was sweating but because of something unrelated to the spice level

oh aye

chveik

hamfist

Got a carolina reaper
Ate half
Put half in Wodka
Wodka werry spicy

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: chocky909 on April 17, 2021, 04:02:58 PM
Why anyone would have an ego boost for being able to withstand heat is beyond me. The tolerance is nothing to do with bravery. It just a matter of how your system reacts to chilli heat. An analogy is like being slightly deaf therefore being able to tolerate loud noise. No reason to act like you're doing anything impressive. Not like you've been training for many years, slowly building up your tolerance like a curry stained Batman.

There is an element of toughness when you go slightly above whatever your comfort level is but it's still basically a genetic trait how extremely your body responds to capsaicin.
You can build up tolerance to chillis over time though. Whether it's worthwhile is a different question.

Fr.Bigley

I thought Carolina Reaper was a James Taylor ode to Peter Sutcliffe.

Chedney Honks

chocky909

Great to see you, old bean.

It's me, The Boston Crab. Hope you're well and pinballing like fuck.

king_tubby

There's a place near me that sticks scrambled egg in the jalfrezi, which is a nice touch.

I like a korma or pasanda on occasion, and obviously if you're cooking them yourself you can stick some heat in them.

I've got some dried naga chillis that I use for vindaloo (another dish that doesn't necessarily have to blow your tits in to next week) and yeah, they're pretty hot.

Bazooka

Quote from: chocky909 on April 17, 2021, 04:02:58 PM

Ha spicy take, but absolutely wrong.

bgmnts

We need a Bazooka curry training montage!

Gurke and Hare

Dhansak seems to vary geographically in how hot it is. When I lived in Nottingham it was always on the mild side of medium, but in London it's properly hot, too hot for me.

SpiderChrist

The Curry Queen in Cambridge does a very good dhansak indeed. On the madras side heat-wise, but so tasty.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on April 17, 2021, 02:59:00 PM

Why do Morrisons no longer make this cunt? They were next level. They also used to do a Phaal that was even more evil.

Now you're talking. My local curry house does a naga dish that is both blisteringly hot and delicious.

sevendaughters

about a month and a half ago I was out on a hike and for some reason I just craved vindaloo, or at least something really hot. this was unusual to me because i tend to top out at a madras and only with a lassi to wash it down.

got one and enjoyed it very much, but had pretty bad reflux and arse gas afterward, so had to concede this was probably my first and last one. not got the stamina to work up a tolerance for it, not at my age.

favourite tends to be a dhansak or any of the Nepalese ones with pickles in.

non capisco

I also absolutely bloody love a dhansak, the thick texture of the sauce with the lentils hits the sweet spot for me. Saying that during the first lockdown I got addicted to the lamb vindaloo from a curry house on Gipsy Hill and was ordering that at least once a week to take my mind off the harsh novelty of what might be the apocalypse. Poppadoms or dead. In the words of Kevin Rowland "What I intend to do now is I'm going to punish my body, I'll punish the body to believe in the soul", from that Dexys song he wrote about tanning loads of lamb vindaloos every week.

bakabaka

Oak smoked pasilla mead is gorgeous.
Medium heat (about 4000 Scoville, around jalapeño level), tastes like the smoothest bourbon with a hint of sweetness. Drink half a bottle of that and you do feel it a bit the next day (head and arse) but it didn't stop the six bottles I made all disappearing within 2 weeks. The second batch is almost ready to go and will probably almost all be drunk on whatever End of Lockdown event I'm invited to.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Oak smoked pasilla mead. So very CaB.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: bgmnts on April 17, 2021, 01:10:16 PM
I got a curry from last night and had the rice last night and the jalfrezi this morning.

I still think we need to talk more about the effect lockdown is having on people's mental health.

bakabaka

Quote from: bgmnts on April 17, 2021, 01:10:16 PM
I got a curry from last night and had the rice last night and the jalfrezi this morning.
You do know that curries are always hotter the next day, don't you?

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: bakabaka on April 17, 2021, 07:43:30 PM
You do know that curries are always hotter the next day, don't you?

How? the half life of a pepper is in direct correlation to a known isotope?

Cuellar

Absolutely pointless to cause yourself pain while eating.

Have a sandwich and stick a fork in your eye. No? lol can't take it or what?