Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:54:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Accident ate Jalfrezi

Started by bgmnts, April 17, 2021, 11:01:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

It's interesting that although you can raise tolerance to chilli some of it is genetic. I worry that I might be harbouring a recessive gene from my grandfather that means any potential progeny might end up be predisposed to sulkily eating omelettes from the European section in curry houses.

Fr.Bigley

The Dog

Usually go for a madras but with a big nail in it.

king_tubby

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on April 17, 2021, 07:52:51 PM
How? the half life of a pepper is in direct correlation to a known isotope?

Cellular breakdown meaning more capsaicin is released. Freezing increases this even more as the expansion when the water in the cells turns to ice ruptures even more cells.

This could be bollocks, but I read it on the internet once.

Buelligan

Quote from: chocky909 on April 17, 2021, 04:02:58 PM
Why anyone would have an ego boost for being able to withstand heat is beyond me. The tolerance is nothing to do with bravery. It just a matter of how your system reacts to chilli heat. An analogy is like being slightly deaf therefore being able to tolerate loud noise. No reason to act like you're doing anything impressive. Not like you've been training for many years, slowly building up your tolerance like a curry stained Batman.

Heheh.  Completely agree, it's like the drinking until you make yourself puke and pass out, like you're that hard, mate.  Like Wavis O'Shave or fucking Foffo Spearjig.  He's that hard.

hamfist

Next time I'm Chad-side I wanna try a sonic reaper margarita mocktail slushie. Oh it looks so nice.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: hamfist on April 17, 2021, 09:13:46 PM

Next time I'm Chad-side I wanna try a sonic reaper margarita mocktail slushie. Oh it looks so nice.

Sonic is a drive-in so you can add your own tequila right in the car. I assume 75% of those get spiked after dark.

Kankurette

I'm not going to impress anyone if I'm sitting on the bog shitting out my guts.

bgmnts

Quote from: Kankurette on April 17, 2021, 10:28:47 PM
I'm not going to impress anyone if I'm sitting on the bog shitting out my guts.

Dunno, some people would probably pay a lot for that, in Amsterdam or something.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

One factor seems to be that if the heat is combined well with other flavours it feels more tolerable. Sometimes I have been slightly anxious after ordering a dish above my normal heat limit (medium/medium-hot) only to discover that the flavours combined so well it remained enjoyable. A lot of the time that still ends up with ringburn and painting the bathroom brown, but at least one part of the process was enjoyable.

Plain, dry on its own burn is unpleasant and tedious. Seabrooks did a packet of crisps a couple of years back with chilli heat just like that. Total letdown, barely any flavour.

flotemysost

Just reading about everyone eating loads of chillies then guzzling gallons of milk is making my bowels wince. I know it's meant to be the only way to counteract the heat, but surely that's got to be a feat reserved for when you've got fuck all plans the next day.

Trying a glass of kefir alongside a kebab was dicey enough for me (and that stuff's meant to be good for your gut and all).

Hope you're faring OK today bgmnts. Just be thankful you didn't eat the rice the next day, if the curry didn't get you then all those languishing spores might well have done (I speak from bitter experience).

Buelligan

That rice thing is weird though, isn't it?  Obviously, you've had a bad experience which could be laid, positively, at the feet of day old rice.  But I never, ever, have.  Admittedly, I'm talking about home cooked rice dishes, I don't/can't buy takeaways or anything but even so.  I eat a lot of rice.  I live alone, so will often cook rice for a meal and use the second portion cooked the next day.  Or have a rice salad thing that lasts more than two days, even.  I don't eat meat or ever have any meat products in the house, other than that, I'd say my food life is fairly standard, clean, but that's standard.  Where am I going wrong?

flotemysost

In my case it was a home cooked rice dish too, not especially spicy either - a vegetarian aubergine curry in a mild satay sauce. My rookie error was eating the leftovers cold out the fridge a couple of days after making it (I was hungover, don't judge), oblivious to the fact that the resident Bacillus cereus would have been living its absolute best life in there. It's not to do with how clean you are, though I think rinsing it before and after cooking is recommended - the bacteria already lives in all rice, so you just need to be careful with not allowing it to stay cool for long enough for it to flourish before eating.

I think it's fine to re-use as long as you nuke the absolute shit out of it (otherwise it will do the same to you, literally) and you don't leave it longer than a day or two. I still make lots of risottos and veg curries at home so it hasn't put me off. Rice salad leftovers sounds terrifying though I'll admit.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: flotemysost on April 18, 2021, 10:16:44 AM
I think it's fine to re-use as long as you nuke the absolute shit out of it (otherwise it will do the same to you, literally) and you don't leave it longer than a day or two.

Yeah, rice is hazardous like that but, as you say, if you nuke the leftovers good and proper, they should be fine. One thing people forget when taking a doggy bag from a restaurant is that you have to factor in the amount of time the food was sitting on the table and not just count the time between leaving the restaurant and getting the food into the fridge. So far, touch wood, I've never had any bother from eating leftover rice.

Fr.Bigley

Rice is shit. Try cous cous with a chilli or dopiaza and you'll never go back/have the shits again..and it tastes better.

Buelligan

Quote from: flotemysost on April 18, 2021, 10:16:44 AM
In my case it was a home cooked rice dish too, not especially spicy either - a vegetarian aubergine curry in a mild satay sauce. My rookie error was eating the leftovers cold out the fridge a couple of days after making it (I was hungover, don't judge), oblivious to the fact that the resident Bacillus cereus would have been living its absolute best life in there. It's not to do with how clean you are, though I think rinsing it before and after cooking is recommended - the bacteria already lives in all rice, so you just need to be careful with not allowing it to stay cool for long enough for it to flourish before eating.

I think it's fine to re-use as long as you nuke the absolute shit out of it (otherwise it will do the same to you, literally) and you don't leave it longer than a day or two. I still make lots of risottos and veg curries at home so it hasn't put me off. Rice salad leftovers sounds terrifying though I'll admit.

But, if you boil the rice - to cook it, you do boil it for ages, how does a bacillus thingy survive and start acting the arse after?  And those of us, I have, who've nibbled on an uncooked grain or two - surely if the bacteria is raring to go in there, we'd be sick too?  Not doubting anything you're saying or trying to provoke, nevertheless, feel there's more to this that needs explanation.

I've regularly kept rice salads for more than a day in the fridge and eaten them without a quibble.

Buelligan

Just had a google on the subject of Bacillus cereus poisoning - and it's correct, seems to be anyway, that some spores can survive the initial boiling and can reproduce after cooking given the correct conditions.  I've eaten cold rice for decades without any bad effect, ever.  So I'd be quite interested to understand how I've got away with it.  Admittedly, that's almost always been organic brown rice (natch) maybe that makes a difference (I doubt it).

It may seem odd but I'd be extremely interested to know more about the epidemiology of this. 

GoblinAhFuckScary

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on April 17, 2021, 03:42:37 PM
Menopause?

I'm a bit sensitive to some random flavours. I have a friend who sweats profusely while eating sausage and mash (not sure what aspect set it off), used to have to wrap a towel around his head while he ate it.

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on April 18, 2021, 10:41:12 AM
Try cous cous with a chilli

Chili should really be served on its own or with tortilla chips or bread if you want it the traditional Mexican/Tex-Mex way. Having it with rice is a Britishism.

flotemysost

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on April 18, 2021, 10:41:12 AM
Rice is shit. Try cous cous with a chilli or dopiaza and you'll never go back/have the shits again..and it tastes better.

Aw, it's not shit though is it? I do like couscous and cook with it a fair bit (though I've never made curry with it) but you haven't got the same options and versatility - from a nice creamy risotto (don't even need fancy rice, just stir the fuck out of standard basmati), sticky rice for a Thai green curry or similar, or simply bunging whatever combination of frozen veg/meat/fish you fancy into some brown rice with a bit of olive oil, lemon juice, salt and black pepper.

I've cooked a lot of rice dishes during lockdown and I partly credit that with the fact that miraculously I haven't really put on weight, despite essentially being a sedentary deskbound slob for a year (not because it's given me the shits/voms - although a bout of that will absolutely shave off the pounds).

Plus with couscous the bastard grains get everywhere no matter how careful you are, well the small type anyway. Quite like the giant ones though.

Re: food poisoning there definitely does seem to be an element of luck to it, loads of people must eat less-than-optimally-hot rice all the time and never have any problems. It's only happened to me once but the memory of projectile vomiting on a busy Sunday afternoon South West train carriage (I managed to hit the bin, mainly) is going to stay with me for a while.

idunnosomename

I've never had a problem with left-over home-cooked rice. it's just at a takeaway you don't know how long it's been hanging around warm before it's got to you.

and I would always be careful on the "cook it thoroughly and everything will die so it's fine" because sometimes food poisoning is caused by cytotoxins rather than the microbes themselves. they've basically been eating your rice and shitting poison all over it

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: flotemysost on April 18, 2021, 12:05:32 PM
Aw, it's not shit though is it? nice creamy risotto.

You have a point actually, risotto is bangin.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Never ever having curry or chilli with cous cous cheers

Ferris

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on April 18, 2021, 12:03:00 PM
Chili should really be served on its own or with tortilla chips or bread if you want it the traditional Mexican/Tex-Mex way. Having it with rice is a Britishism.

The squeamishness over rice being more than 10 minutes old is also a Britishism (and one I'd forgotten about). We keep rice for a day or so in the fridge all the time, no worries.

Dex Sawash

Maybe I'm immune to the rice toxin. Only learned of it existing from CaB a few years ago. I am a serial 'just knock the chill off in the microwave' leftover rice consumer and the owner of the Indian buffet turns his usual scowl up a notch when I use a soup bowl for kheer instead of the little chutney dish you are meant to use.

Sebastian Cobb

I once eat several day old rice when the fridge/freezer had done its thing where it froze up and stopped the fridge portion doing fridge stuff and it didn't kill me.

I think the main factor with rice is making sure you chill it quickly, although I've been known to leave it in the pressure cooker until the next day before portioning it up for the fridge/freezer.

It could be that living in hovels has given my immune and digestive systems a good bit of training.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 18, 2021, 12:36:00 PM
The squeamishness over rice being more than 10 minutes old is also a Britishism (and one I'd forgotten about). We keep rice for a day or so in the fridge all the time, no worries.

Yeah my Mum goes crazy about rice being kept, despite leaving things like corned beef pie out for days at room temp with just a tea towel over it. I always make too much rice or have some left over from takeout so regularly have some in the fridge for a day or two.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on April 18, 2021, 12:49:56 PM
Yeah my Mum goes crazy about rice being kept, despite leaving things like corned beef pie out for days at room temp with just a tea towel over it.

Love a bit of corned beef pie..plate pie we call it in Yorks..

Buelligan

Continuing with the rice stories, I've worked in Italian restaurants - high class, not cheap clip-joints for picking up tarts - where risotto is on the menu.  The base (half cooked) is cooked in the morning and will be used, portioned out and finally cooked to order during that day and evening.  The base rice that's not used will be chilled and kept for the next day.  This is totally normal and I'd bet my stomach lining almost any restaurant that serves rice will use similar practices (depending on the dish).

Fr.Bigley

Not in my rice restaurant mate.