Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,462
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 02:51:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Comedians deconstructing pop songs and music.

Started by Dusty Substance, April 17, 2021, 12:23:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusty Substance

This was a thing for a while, wasn't it? Stand ups deconstructing pop songs and dissecting the lyrics as part of a routine.

I was reminded of this listening to a bunch of Norm MacDonald clips.

Here's the old chunk of coal talking about Roger Miller's King of the Road and Rupert Holmes' Escape (The Pina Colada Song): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq7FoH-Skms

Autopsy Turvey

Bo Dudley with 'Mama's Got A Brand New Bag, Yeah'.

lipsink

Simon Munnery did a breakdown of a Bruce Springsteen song.

Plus that Carphone Warehouse Irish comedian did a bit about Alanis Morrisette.

BeardFaceMan

Rich Hall did a good routine about Jailhouse Rock as Otis Lee Crenshaw.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Bill Bailey trotting out "I've got ham but I'm not a hamster" at any given opportunity

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on April 17, 2021, 12:44:41 PM
Bill Bailey trotting out "I've got ham but I'm not a hamster" at any given opportunity

I'm really like his 'cockney music moments in classical music' bit too. Actually, he's done lots of these, hasn't he?

H-O-W-L

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on April 17, 2021, 01:15:52 PM
I'm really like his 'cockney music moments in classical music' bit too. Actually, he's done lots of these, hasn't he?

" 'ave a banana" has been a repeated line in my family for decades now.

lankyguy95

Quote from: Dusty Substance on April 17, 2021, 12:23:24 PM
This was a thing for a while, wasn't it? Stand ups deconstructing pop songs and dissecting the lyrics as part of a routine.

I was reminded of this listening to a bunch of Norm MacDonald clips.

Here's the old chunk of coal talking about Roger Miller's King of the Road and Rupert Holmes' Escape (The Pina Colada Song): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq7FoH-Skms
The best of these from that ol' chunk a coal is him on Adam Carolla's show going through two Kenny Rogers songs - Ruby Don't Take Your Love To Town and Coward Of The County. Norm's clearly having a blast, as they go almost line by line.

https://youtu.be/bHNhmwmNsPc

"ZZ Top those dirty rapers"

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: lipsink on April 17, 2021, 12:27:32 PM
Simon Munnery did a breakdown of a Bruce Springsteen song.

Plus that Carphone Warehouse Irish comedian did a bit about Alanis Morrisette.

Munnery had a good bit about Imagine as well, although all I remember is him saying that "it's easy if you try" doesn't make sense because trying implies effort.

Captain Z

I recall Micky Mackintyre doing this at the peak of his popularity with Sex On Fire and Smack That.

Thomas

my sex
is on - fire?
my actual sexual intercourse is actually in flames?

'darling do our pillows comply with the 1988 Furniture and Furnishings Fire Safety Regulations?'
'i've no idea darling why'
'because i think our toast isn't going to be the only thing burned in the morning!'[nb]callback[/nb]

notjosh

Ed Byrne's Ironic routine is a famous one.

Louis CK had a good bit about Signs on his first album. ETA: He goes into it a bit more on the Live at Cobbs bootleg.

Robert Klein did a bit about what a terrible song the US national anthem is.

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on April 17, 2021, 01:46:39 PM
Munnery had a good bit about Imagine as well, although all I remember is him saying that "it's easy if you try" doesn't make sense because trying implies effort.

Yeah, I also remember his saying something about how in order to imagine that there is no heaven you first have to have some kind of concept of what heaven is. And it's quite a lot of work to summon up a mental image of this infinitely large and unknowably complex afterlife only to immediately dismiss it.

ProvanFan

Love rap music, tiiiired of defendin it, man.

Sebastian Cobb

Markus Brigstocke did a bit about jungle pirate radio stations.

up_the_hampipe

purlieu

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on April 17, 2021, 01:15:52 PM
Yeah, half of his stand-up is music-based, so there's lots. It's his forte, really, his actually stand-up is often pretty dire.

Icehaven

Newman and Baddiel did quite a few bits about pop music. From memory Baddiel did a pisstake impression of Brett Anderson, and Newman did a bit about Blur's Parkife and their faux cockney schtick and something about We Are Family by Sister Sledge, but they probably did more too.

petril

Quote from: Thomas on April 17, 2021, 03:30:08 PM
my sex
is on - fire?
my actual sexual intercourse is actually in flames?

'darling do our pillows comply with the 1988 Furniture and Furnishings Fire Safety Regulations?'
'i've no idea darling why'
'because i think our toast isn't going to be the only thing burned in the morning!'[nb]callback[/nb]

set half the population on fire and they'll be warm for life

Gulftastic

I got a girl called Ramalamalamalamadingdong.

What were her parents thinking?

Mr Trumpet

Dave Gorman did a whole show about Reasons to be Cheerful by Ian Dury and the Blockheads. I think it was one of the first proper comedy shows I ever went to see.

turnstyle

Was it someone on here who was on a trip and entertained his mates with his totally original observations on the song Ironic, only to find himself sat in the audience of an Ed Byrne gig that very evening with said mates, as Byrne told the exact same routine verbatim.

FsF

Not strictly sticking to the theme, but Karl Pilkington's insistence of Eric Clapton's "Wonderful Tonight" being about a guy in a wheelchair is one of the comedy highlights of the Ricky Gervais XFM shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHs-jAaMqOA

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: FsF on April 17, 2021, 11:21:10 PM
Not strictly sticking to the theme, but Karl Pilkington's insistence of Eric Clapton's "Wonderful Tonight" being about a guy in a wheelchair is one of the comedy highlights of the Ricky Gervais XFM shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHs-jAaMqOA

Yes, that's a good'un. Makes the song significantly more enjoyable. Relatable as well, where you half-listen to a song countless times over the years and develop a mental picture that doesn't match with the actual lyrics at all.

Goldentony

this shit reminds me of that section of The Young Ones book with the routime from Rik giving people tips on how to answer back to songs with funny replies. Just last as fuck bottom tier stuff. Might aswell write a song going A CHICKEN LITERALLY CROSSED AN ACTUAL ROAD DID IT

vainsharpdad

Rob Newman's stuff about the dichotomy of The Cure singing happy songs.

BeardFaceMan