Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:03:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Off-Putting Band Names

Started by Rev+, April 18, 2021, 12:31:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pauline Walnuts

Richard Hell sounds faintly embarrassing now dosn't it?

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 22, 2021, 12:55:06 PM
Richard Hell only crept into my good books because of the science-fiction B-movie alien evoking Voivoids.
Wasn't it Voidoids? There was also a Voivod, but they were Canadian.

phantom_power

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 22, 2021, 12:38:40 PM
Oo, I rather liked Pinback. I didn't realise Rob Crow had all these other projects. If I'm honest, shamefully, I didn't even know the name Rob Crow until now. Actually, I do have both Optiganally Yours albums (aptly named because it was an Optigan based concept), they're most enjoyable. I think you are the only person I've ever communicated with who's ever heard of 'em.

I think I downloaded their cover of Wichita Lineman in the early days of Napster and went from there. It took me years to find out it was the same bloke as Pinback

SteveDave

Quote from: daf on April 18, 2021, 02:01:00 PM
I think this one's going to be hard to beat . . .

"13 Is My Lucky Number" is a banger though.

I don't care that you're only 13
Cos 13 is my lucky number
Jailbait! Jailbait!
Statutory rape!
When you give me just a kiss I know the rest can't wait

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on April 22, 2021, 01:15:04 PM
Wasn't it Voidoids? There was also a Voivod, but they were Canadian.

Misspelled it, didn't I?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: phantom_power on April 22, 2021, 01:29:44 PM
I think I downloaded their cover of Wichita Lineman in the early days of Napster and went from there. It took me years to find out it was the same bloke as Pinback

Mr. Wilson off that first OY album is delightful. Those albums reminded me of Pianosaurus, the 80s U.S. band that used to only play on toy instruments. Now, that band name is borderline.

Jerzy Bondov

I don't even know why but I just completely hate the name Buffalo Springfield. I honestly think it's one of the most annoying names for a band I've ever heard. But I can't work out what I hate about it. It's completely irrational. BUT I WILL NOT HAVE IT IN THE HOUSE

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on April 22, 2021, 03:20:44 PM
I don't even know why but I just completely hate the name Buffalo Springfield. I honestly think it's one of the most annoying names for a band I've ever heard. But I can't work out what I hate about it. It's completely irrational. BUT I WILL NOT HAVE IT IN THE HOUSE

File along similarly annoying names of that era. Nothing to do with the music, mind.

Bad: Creedence Clearwater Revival, Fairport Convention, Fleetwood Mac, Steeleye Span.

Good: Lynyrd Skynyrd, Foghat, Supertramp, Steely Dan.

The Mollusk

Similarly, The United States of America is a dreadful name.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: The Mollusk on April 22, 2021, 04:19:58 PM

A band so way ahead of their time though.

Pauline Walnuts

America enter thread, look around, and leave on their stupid nameless horse.

Video Game Fan 2000

The Thinking Fellers Local Union 282

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on April 23, 2021, 11:20:58 PM
The Thinking Fellers Local Union 282
No way!  That crazy name suited them down to a tee.  (I suppose I can see why it might be off putting to someone who hadn't heard them though).

TheMonk

The Power Station- whoever suggested it should have been laughed out of the room
Derek And The Dominoes- Yes I know the story but it's still shit
The Notting Hillbillies
Thunderclap Newman

badaids

Gorky's Zygotic Mynci is a terrible name for a band, the type of name that a bunch of 14 year olds think is incredibly wacky, which is what they were. It's a shame as I think it must have put many people off in the end what was a brilliant band, and made them basically a novelty act.

Jockice

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 22, 2021, 04:09:42 PM
Lynyrd Skynyrd

I've always loved the idea of a band named after your games teacher at school. Mine would have been Crys O'ryly.

dissolute ocelot

Gay Dad probably seemed funny for 30 seconds. Also from the 90s, The Llama Farmers: shit joke or ethnic slur? The 90s were a good time for terrible random band names (including lots of bands with people's first names; would Jack have been bigger with a proper name?)

There's an unsuccessful/up-and-coming Scottish band called Casual Drag, which strikes me as supremely dreary.

Chriddof

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on April 25, 2021, 01:35:49 PM
Also from the 90s, The Llama Farmers: shit joke or ethnic slur?

Quote from: https://uk.radioking.com/artist/llama-farmersLlama Farmers sprung into existence in a school classroom in Greenwich, London sometime in 1996. Friends William Briggs and Brooke Rogers, bored of algebra, asked the 14 year old Jennie Simpson to join them on bass in their then nameless band. On her first rehearsal Jennie brought along her older brother, Bernie Simpson, for moral support but by the end of the rehearsal he too had been recruited on guitar and vocals. A Chilean friend at school, who the band had nicknamed 'Llama Farmer', gave them their somewhat unusual (and slightly racist) monicker.

Oof.

Ornlu

Foot Hair. (https://foothair.bandcamp.com/)

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on April 18, 2021, 07:24:12 PM
No one's mentioned Goldentony favourite Sutcliffe Jügend yet.

This is because it is a good name.

Quote from: The Mollusk on April 22, 2021, 04:19:58 PM

I raise you The Presidents of the United States of America.

Quote from: iamcoop on April 22, 2021, 11:44:16 AM
I quite liked the name "Let's Eat Grandma".

I always thought as it was two relatively young women doing electronic stuff then they kinda got away with it. No idea what my logic is there but there you go.

It is because Young Women are beyond reproach, artistically. [nb]Especially if they're not doing old gammony rock music!! Eh![/nb]

Ornlu

Also, do bands that stupidly name themselves 'We Are / I Am / etc. __________' introduce themselves as:

• "Hello, We Are the Ocean!"
or
  • "Hello, we are We Are the Ocean!"
Either way is death.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 22, 2021, 12:55:06 PM
A few C.B.G.B.s types' band names were a bit 'trad R&R', a bit prosaic for a snobby me getting into British New Wave in my teens some forty years ago.

ie Johnny Thunders And The Heartbreakers, Johnathan Richman And The Modern Lovers, Joan Jett & The Blackhearts, The Patti Smith Group, The New York Dolls.

You had to be called something like The Sniffles or Porkchopz or Stinkbomb Holiday to be in my good books. Richard Hell only crept into my good books because of the science-fiction B-movie alien evoking Voivoids.

Yep, completely agree. [Name] and the [band] - hate those names. Nikki Sudden and the Jacobites is another one. Summons up images of a horrible craggy frontman with generic bunch of lads stood in the background.

I'd add Gorkys Zygotic Mynci. I worker in a second hand record shop when they were in their ascendancy and missed out on so many chances to buy their rare stuff cheap and to see them in nice small venues. Those sleeves seems to fit their name and just gave a whole Magic Mushroom Band/ Ozrics vibe to them. It was only when Barafundle was played on the shop stereo that I realised what a bloody amazing group they were.

lazyhour

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 22, 2021, 04:09:42 PM
File along similarly annoying names of that era. Nothing to do with the music, mind.

Good: Foghat

Are you literally mad? That's a terrible name!

boki

Quote from: Chicory on April 18, 2021, 07:25:18 PM
When Coldplay first emerged, I was convinced they'd go the same way as the similarly shitly named Crashland and Terris - 2000's class of failed bands the NME promised would be huge. No way would something called 'Coldplay' ever succeed beyond a few toilet gigs in student cities.
Always makes me think of the COLD SHIT ACTION sign from the Brass Eye sex episode.

sutin

Quote from: badaids on April 25, 2021, 08:30:55 AM
Gorky's Zygotic Mynci is a terrible name for a band, the type of name that a bunch of 14 year olds think is incredibly wacky, which is what they were. It's a shame as I think it must have put many people off in the end what was a brilliant band, and made them basically a novelty act.

It put me off. When I was young I didn't know how to say their name so I just didn't listen to them. It took me to move to Wales and see their lead singer live a few times before I gave them a chance.

Harvey Milk

I've been letting Spotify's 'The Sound of Post-Rock' play away in the background recently, just while I work, and I'm rather enjoying myself, as it's still quite new to me and I haven't really explored it as a genre before. Today I thought I'd check out who I was listening to, and I was happier not knowing.

Do Make Say Think
This Will Destroy You
Maybeshewill
If These Trees Could Talk
And So I Watch You From Afar
sleepmakeswaves
I Hear Sirens
Set Fire to Flames
This Is Your Captain Speaking
From Monument to Masses
Oh Hiroshima
I LIKE TRAINS
Because of Ghosts
Codes in the Clouds
Message to Bears

But maybe I've lost my sense of fun.

The Mollusk

Post-rock is the least fun genre in existence so you don't have to worry about that. I'm so glad I don't enjoy those bands because I'd be so embarrassed ever having to say any of those names out loud when talking about my music tastes.

Pauline Walnuts

Love of Lesbian.

Who look like

Famous Mortimer

Set Fire To Flames made a couple of great albums (don't know what they've been up to recently, mind).