Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,493
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 05:39:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Off-Putting Band Names

Started by Rev+, April 18, 2021, 12:31:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveDave

Monophonics

"One of the best live soul bands I've ever seen"- Al Bell (Co-Owner of Stax Records)

Glad to see your uncle's got the band back together now he's off the junk. 

kidney

Suffocate For Fuck Sake
Gay For Johnny Depp
Japandroids
Rival Consoles
An Autumn For Crippled Children

badaids

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on April 26, 2021, 12:57:18 PM
I'd add Gorkys Zygotic Mynci. I worker in a second hand record shop when they were in their ascendancy and missed out on so many chances to buy their rare stuff cheap and to see them in nice small venues. Those sleeves seems to fit their name and just gave a whole Magic Mushroom Band/ Ozrics vibe to them. It was only when Barafundle was played on the shop stereo that I realised what a bloody amazing group they were.

Totally agree that their name and early record covers capsized them.  I got into them when Bwyd Time came out, which became one of my favorite records, and that picture on the inside cover of them dressed an druids and wizards was funny at the time, but it was rolled out on every occasion and saw them tarred as a mushroom band.  There was a bit of that in their early songs and albums, but Euros Childs is an incredibly underrated songwriter and could write in so many styles and tones.  Stuff like Eira and Methu Aros Tan Haf were amazing tunes moving and extremely poignant but it was wackiness of The Game of Eyes that got picked up on.

When Simon Mayo picked up on Patio Song in 96(?), he might of thought he was doing them a favour, but he also basically labelled them as a novelty act.  When the wackiness had worn off with punters they were washed up.  By then making music was their job and having signed to Fontana, the pressure really showed in their music and boxed them in, they lost touch with the sense of fun that made them special and became all serious.

I've just ordered a whole recent of Euros' solo albums.  I'm sure it will be pleasant enough but not sure what to expect really - is it any good?

And what happened to John Lawrence?  I was sorry to learn that Oz Wright had been killed 15 years ago in car accident.  He was brilliant in the duo Rheinallt H Rowlands which supported Gorky's loads of time.  They were brilliant too.

kalowski

A Hawk and a Handsaw. Which is a shame because they're great.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: kidney on April 27, 2021, 09:02:29 PM
Suffocate For Fuck Sake
Gay For Johnny Depp
Japandroids
Rival Consoles
An Autumn For Crippled Children

First ones great

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: badaids on April 27, 2021, 09:10:34 PM
I've just ordered a whole recent of Euros' solo albums.  I'm sure it will be pleasant enough but not sure what to expect really - is it any good?

His earlier solo records were a lot more interesting. The last 4 or 5 'proper' albums have been much of a muchness for me, and I'm getting a bit bored of his Gilbert O'Sullivan shtick nowadays. I do think he's lovely though, I'll always buy whatever he puts out and he's still fucking ace live. Guessing he'll scale down the solo stuff now he's in Teenage Fanclub, which might not be a bad thing although there's apparently a second Jonny album (of Joe Meek covers) on the way.

The Mollusk

Quote from: kalowski on April 27, 2021, 09:22:22 PM
A Hawk and a Handsaw. Which is a shame because they're great.

It's "Hacksaw" but that's still shite!

A lot of those bands who came from Elephant 6 had appalling names, even though the music was often good, such as:

The Olivia Tremor Control (incredible band)
Neutral Milk Hotel
Circulatory System
Major Organ and the Adding Machine
The Music Tapes
Pipes You See, Pipes You Don't
The Sunshine Fix

jobotic

Always thought Ween would sound like Weezer. Actually I think I got them mixed up.

turnstyle

Casio Tone for the Painfully Alone

Mate.

kalowski

Quote from: The Mollusk on April 28, 2021, 07:41:26 AM
It's "Hacksaw" but that's still shite!

A lot of those bands who came from Elephant 6 had appalling names, even though the music was often good, such as:

The Olivia Tremor Control (incredible band)
Neutral Milk Hotel
Circulatory System
Major Organ and the Adding Machine
The Music Tapes
Pipes You See, Pipes You Don't
The Sunshine Fix
Ooh, thanks. I know Olivia Tremor Control, Neutral Milk Hotel and The Music Tapes so you've given me some new bands to check out.

Mr Farenheit

The Flying Burrito Brothers

Sir Douglas Quintet

kalowski

Quote from: Mr Farenheit on May 03, 2021, 09:01:44 AM
The Flying Burrito Brothers

Sir Douglas Quintet
Two bloody great bands.

lazyhour

Quote from: badaids on April 27, 2021, 09:10:34 PMBy then making music was their job and having signed to Fontana, the pressure really showed in their music and boxed them in, they lost touch with the sense of fun that made them special and became all serious.

I can't totally disagree, but then I think How I Long To Feel That Summer In My Heart is one of the most beautiful, warm, affecting albums ever made, and we'd never have got that if they hadn't meandered down a more 'serious' path.

The Euros album "Summer Special" is great, if people want a solo recommendation.

PaulTMA

Gorky's generally got better as they went along.  Their name did seem to confuse genuinely stupid people though who couldn't process something that complex

Echo Valley 2-6809

The Yips
+370/-0 karm for this message

Echo Valley 2-6809

sutin

badaids

Quote from: lazyhour on May 03, 2021, 02:12:27 PM
I can't totally disagree, but then I think How I Long To Feel That Summer In My Heart is one of the most beautiful, warm, affecting albums ever made, and we'd never have got that if they hadn't meandered down a more 'serious' path.

The Euros album "Summer Special" is great, if people want a solo recommendation.

I got my Euros Childs records today, complete with a very nice little from Euros himself.  That cheered my up no end as did signature all over the customs postage paperwork.

I'm considering writing back to him and asking him if he wants his Gap jumper that he left at Camden Dingwalls gig in 1995.

The records are nothing much different from what he was doing 15 years ago, but that's not to say I don't like them very much.  And he still looks like Tim Henman.

Pauline Walnuts

daf

The Mollusk

Quote from: thecuriousorange on May 09, 2021, 05:00:49 PM
Girl Band, who hilariously look like this:

Girl Band, Women, Some Girls and Daughters are all bands comprised almost entirely of blokes.

famethrowa

Quote from: The Mollusk on May 09, 2021, 05:23:15 PM
Girl Band, Women, Some Girls and Daughters are all bands comprised almost entirely of blokes.

Also crap right-on Aussie band The Beautiful Girls. 3 beardy blokes

jobotic

Stick with Girlschool. Proper birds, they are.

Queens of the Stone Age, Queen and Alice Cooper. All bloody blokes. Twisted Sister too.

Deliciousbass

The Paedophile Rapists.

Are they rapists that rape paedophiles, or are they paedophiles who are rapists?

Annoying.

markburgle

I don't know if people actually have anything against all these "girl" names or if the convo has merely taken a tangent, but I like those kinds of names. I've noticed my fave people are not your girly girls and blokey blokes but people who are a mix, and it's the same with bands. Therefore I'll give any band of blokes a pass that declares some kind of existential affinity with the feminine, Brian.

Jerzy Bondov

I'm doing this 1001 Albums project thing with my friends and today's album is by The Electric Prunes and I don't want to listen to it