Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:25:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Off-Putting Band Names

Started by Rev+, April 18, 2021, 12:31:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ProvanFan

I always pictured them as Jonatton Yeah?

Egyptian Feast

I am actually offended by that display, especially the guy with his tongue out, so they at least made good on their name. It does offend me, yes.

turnstyle

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on April 18, 2021, 12:19:33 PM
Anything with Jesus in the name

Not anything. The Jesus Lizard is a great name. I'm surprised it's not on that banned band list, although perhaps the person that created it is more educated than you might at first think.

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on April 18, 2021, 12:19:33 PM
Anything with too much effin' and jeffin' Fuck Buttons? More like Fuck Off Fuck Buttons. Bunch o' tryhards.

I've never heard them. They could be great, I dunno

Yep, it's a shit name but they are very good.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 18, 2021, 01:28:05 AM
This is also the perpetual cycle of a heroin addict: Cop (acquire heroin), Shoot (consume heroin), Cop (acquire more heroin), etc.

My musical hat has been fucked.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Head Gardener on April 18, 2021, 09:14:14 AM

The Jackofficers are banned but the Butthole Surfers aren't? Odd.

What station is that from?

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on April 18, 2021, 12:35:39 PM
Not anything. The Jesus Lizard is a great name.

Hawh, it's terrible, you saw that as a new groups name you'd think it'd be a load of not even half though through David Icke inspired ramblings over some boring stoner rock.

Do I need to say I'm only referring to the name, not the actual group called The Jesus Lizard?

JesusAndYourBush

Hoobastank

They might be awesome, but with such an awful name I'll never find out.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on April 18, 2021, 12:48:29 PM
Hoobastank

I always associate them with bands from that era like Hootie And The Blowfish and Toad The Wet Sprocket. I've possibly heard stuff by all three, but their music must not be as memorably shit as their names. Imagine being stuck at a festival with all of them headlining. You'd set fire to the toilets before a note had even been played.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on April 18, 2021, 12:48:29 PM
Hoobastank

They're really, really not.

Snuff. I love this band but it took me a while to listen to them because of the crap name, thinking they'd be some kind of tryhard hardcore punk naughtiness instead of the pop-punk loveliness that they are. Apparently they came up with the name when they were having a name-thinking-of session and were coming up with all sorts of shit names and one of them said "that's enough!", and it got shortened to Snuff.

seepage

A local hair metal band wanted a menacing bird of prey as their band name but presumably most were already taken, so they settled on 'Lapwing'.

Chicory

There are some band names that are so dreadful they almost meet demented brilliance on the other side of the horseshoe. For this I nominate - Kneeling In Piss.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Chicory on April 18, 2021, 01:30:22 PM
There are some band names that are so dreadful they almost meet demented brilliance on the other side of the horseshoe. For this I nominate - Kneeling In Piss.

Also, Pissed Jeans. Great band, terrible name.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on April 18, 2021, 12:43:05 PM
Hawh, it's terrible, you saw that as a new groups name you'd think it'd be a load of not even half though through David Icke inspired ramblings over some boring stoner rock.

Do I need to say I'm only referring to the name, not the actual group called The Jesus Lizard?

Nah, it's a great name.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on April 18, 2021, 12:39:24 PM
The Jackofficers are banned but the Butthole Surfers aren't? Odd.

What station is that from?

It seems to be a Catholic school radio. whoever uploaded it censored the identifying information. worth reposting show what's clipped off at the bottom

I mean what's weird it's a collection of notorious death metal bands with a few obviously obscure, maybe even made up gross names. also they seem to have got bored as they went through the alphabet.

I mean, why can't you mention Cannibal Corpse on air? It's an affront that they exist and we have to pretend they don't? You can't say "some horrible shitty bad like Cannibal Corpse"?

whatever. it seems to be written jokingly on the level to mutually not get the station in trouble, rather than written by a teacher or something

right ok

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: idunnosomename on April 18, 2021, 01:50:15 PM
It seems to be a Catholic school radio. whoever uploaded it censored the identifying information. worth reposting show what's clipped off at the bottom

Ah, I see. That does change the tone significantly. I'm marking you down Head Gardener.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on April 18, 2021, 12:43:05 PM

What about The Jesus & Mary Chain? Eh? What about them?

daf

I think this one's going to be hard to beat . . .

BlodwynPig

iamcoop

The Front Bottoms.

Apparently an American folk-punk band so perhaps that term isn't known in the US but whenever I'd see their name mentioned in a music mag it would make me want to punch walls in.

The The.

Good band but by god I hate the name. Just cumbersome and awkward to say. Doesn't feel nice in the mouth (I bet it doesn't you dirty old etc).

I think there's been a thread similar to this before and I mentioned my visceral hatred of twee indie names that describe a club or a park or something. Hooton Tennis Club, Bombay Bicycle Club, Two Door Cinema Club, Tokyo Police Club etc. Arrrgggghhh

rilk

Cigarettes After Sex always makes me cringe.

daf

Joe Lean & The Jing Jang Jong

(I think this was one of the Sleeperblokes from The Pipettes?)

QuoteThe band are perhaps best known for failing to ever release their critically acclaimed debut album.

Take that, Lee Mavers!!

Fr.Bigley

DrGreggles

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on April 18, 2021, 12:54:31 PM
I always associate them with bands from that era like Hootie And The Blowfish and Toad The Wet Sprocket. I've possibly heard stuff by all three, but their music must not be as memorably shit as their names. Imagine being stuck at a festival with all of them headlining. You'd set fire to the toilets before a note had even been played.

From a Monty Python sketch, isn't it?

daf

I think it was in Rutland Weekend TV (with Idle dressed up like beardy Bob Harris)

Here we go . . .

QuoteRWT104: "RUTLAND WEEKEND WHISTLE TEST"
WHISTLETEST EMCEE: BOB HARRIS [ERIC IDLE]
RWT EMCEE: BRIDGET ARMSTONG
FIRST AIRED: 2 June, 1975

Opening titles roll, but are quickly interrupted by titles for "The Old Gay Whistle Test" (Bob Harris' late-60s-early-70s rock-music review program). A cockeyed Bob Harris is played here by Eric Idle, who speaks in a perpetually-stoned gee-whizper. Wow. He previews the trands [trends? bands? - daf] and introduces the studio group, "Toad the Wet Sprocket." (Back then Eric wrote that name to be so ridiculous no band would use it! Ha!). They resemble Fleetwood Mac and don't move a lot.

Eventually they stop, and Bob turns to Mantra Robinson [Battley], a rocker whose chief interests include lengthy album titles and the destruction of private and public property. He's dropped his bass violinist down a lift-shaft, and while only five people came to his last tour the band manages to do over seven million dollars worth of damage -- not a bad gig. Also aboard is his guru, Siggy [Woolf], who isn't Indian but works in an Indian restaurant, and gets deep spiritual insights from his landlady, Mrs. Fletcher, then sells them. An awkward silence takes us to the Gerard's Cross Pop Festival, with Splint, on the Abbatoir label, and their song "Bandwagon." (You might be distracted by the comedically creepy fashions but dig the lyrics - they're a clever music-biz parody. The entire song can be heard on Neil's album "Re-Cycled Vinyl Blues.")

Then Stan Fitch, the first all-dead singer, performs a smashing number from his album "Even Further Beyond the Grave." He doesn't really sing or strum the guitar or move or anything, but there are groovy video effects. Bob digs it.
https://www.rutlemania.org/RWT/rwtguide.html

Hot Nadgers!

sevendaughters

Quote from: daf on April 18, 2021, 02:11:10 PM
Joe Lean & The Jing Jang Jong

he also acted in Peep Show as Sophie's brother. i remember him in the Pipettes. good musician.

iamcoop

People always said Test-Icicles was a shit name but I was one of the few that thought it was a great name. (Also think the sole album they released was fantastic as well.)

Head Gardener

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on April 18, 2021, 01:53:31 PM
Ah, I see. That does change the tone significantly. I'm marking you down Head Gardener.

I probably deserve it

I.D. Smith

Toe Fat is a particularly gross band name, for me. The one album cover of theirs I've seen isn't much better either.