Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:33:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Off-Putting Band Names

Started by Rev+, April 18, 2021, 12:31:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iamcoop

There's a great stoner/doom pop band that I love called Goblin Cock which is not funny OR gross enough. Terrible artwork as well.

Head Gardener

I was often given bollockings for playing songs with swear words in and of course name checking them or the rude group name, like the band Fuck, even if it was something like SFA's The Man Don't Give a Fuck I had to say what I'd played. But despite repeated warnings including a written one I am still getting away with playing anything by anyone and they can't get rid of me now as I'm management!

full name redacted to protect the guilty

Joe Oakes

John Legend.

His real name is John Roger Stephens, what an arrogant prick. He's not even a rapper.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: daf on April 18, 2021, 02:22:02 PM
I think it was in Rutland Weekend TV (with Idle dressed up like beardy Bob Harris)

Here we go . . .
https://www.rutlemania.org/RWT/rwtguide.html

Hot Nadgers!

Nice, I've never seen any of RWT. I'll give that a watch later, cheers daf! So it's a Ned's Atomic Dustbin situation again. We're really off the wall, but not enough to come up with a daft name ourselves.

McChesney Duntz

My eternal go-to:

Grab Grab the Haddock.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: iamcoop on April 18, 2021, 02:32:15 PM
There's a great stoner/doom pop band that I love called Goblin Cock which is not funny OR gross enough. Terrible artwork as well.

Would have been better as Goblin's Cock. Still not as good as Gandalf's Fist though. Or bad, dependant on your politics.

Quote from: Head Gardener on April 18, 2021, 02:34:30 PM
I was often given bollockings for playing songs with swear words in and of course name checking them or the rude group name, like the band Fuck, even if it was something like SFA's The Man Don't Give a Fuck I had to say what I'd played. But despite repeated warnings including a written one I am still getting away with playing anything by anyone and they can't get rid of me now as I'm management!

Did you ever play Anti Nowhere League's So What? that'd ruffle some feathers..

Brundle-Fly

On the nose ones:
Love
Heart
Kiss
The Music
The Band
The Beat

Might just as well call yourselves Route One.

I'll just google that.

A Devonshire wedding band.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Head Gardener on April 18, 2021, 02:34:30 PM

full name redacted to protect the guilty

In that case, I'm restoring all your marks! :-)

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: daf on April 18, 2021, 02:01:00 PM
I think this one's going to be hard to beat . . .

I've not heard of the band but I have heard of guitarist Nosmo King. I wonder if there's been more than one.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on April 18, 2021, 02:16:53 PM
The butthole surfers.

The band name I use to argue that if the music is good enough, you'll be blind to how bad the name is before long. Similarly, Pixies.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on April 18, 2021, 05:11:59 PM
I've not heard of the band but I have heard of guitarist Nosmo King. I wonder if there's been more than one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c_PDG95MIY

markburgle

Quote from: famethrowa on April 18, 2021, 08:43:13 AM
I think the worst name is Sad Cafe, sounds totally not fun, drab and a bunch of saddos. Not inclined to find out.

Slow Club fits that description for me. Sad Cafe at least sounds vaguely cinematic in an 80's Goth sorta way.

Shit 2002 Hoxton Nathan Barley nomination - Dananananananananakroyd

Try-hard whimsical early-90's nomination - The Sultans of Ping FC.

Also newer artists with names annoyingly close to older artists. So we have to deal with a James Morrison, and a new Cher

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on April 18, 2021, 05:14:27 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c_PDG95MIY

Haha, yikes! I was expecting Hubert to end the routine saying 'Thank you, Nosmo, you unfunny pisshead cunt.'

I think maybe it was this Nosmo King I was thinking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XALqQM-Xug

The Javells ft. Nosmo King - Goodbye Nothing To Say: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra3xdAqEkf0

Not a guitarist after all.

Dr Rock

Quote from: famethrowa on April 18, 2021, 08:43:13 AM
I think the worst name is Sad Cafe, sounds totally not fun, drab and a bunch of saddos. Not inclined to find out.

Named after a real dreary Cafe in Hendon where they would often hang out

Johnny Yesno

Sorry to hijack the thread but this guy really is an education: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_XdFBhIDdI

The original LOLRANDOM?

HAHA IMAGINE THERE WAS NO SUCH THING AS HOLES!!! I SAY IMAGINE IF THERE WERE NO HOLES HUBERT HAHAHA

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: Dr Rock on April 18, 2021, 05:28:08 PM
Named after a real dreary Cafe in Hendon where they would often hang out

It's a Carson McCullers reference isn't it? From one of her novellas.

I thought they were all Manchester lads anyway.

Noodle Lizard

Not a real band, but the fictional one in The Sound Of Metal is called Blackgammon. A ridiculous name, no matter how you spin it[nb]Sinister backgammon? A burnt lump of ham?[/nb], but even moreso since they're presented as a very sincere art-noise type of act.

chveik

Goldentony

is that list of banned bands real because about 9 of them are Seth Putnam groups and I don't know how many plays Lamacq gave the Cuntsaw/Sirhan Sirhan split 7"

Johnny Yesno

No one's mentioned Goldentony favourite Sutcliffe Jügend yet.

Chicory

When Coldplay first emerged, I was convinced they'd go the same way as the similarly shitly named Crashland and Terris - 2000's class of failed bands the NME promised would be huge. No way would something called 'Coldplay' ever succeed beyond a few toilet gigs in student cities.

Fr.Bigley

Vitalstatistix

I'm convinced Gareth Liddiard would be a revered household name in the same ballpark as someone like Nick Cave if he wasn't so bad at naming his bands* and, indeed, didn't have such an off-putting actual real name. Still a bloody genius in my house though.

*The Drones; Tropical Fuck Storm

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Chriddof on April 18, 2021, 12:08:43 PM
Forgot to mention that one particularly bad name I remember hearing was some 90s American hippy-ish jam band called Quiver Of Jasper. Such a horrid collection of words, though not as infuriating as "Does It Offend You, Yeah?", as previously mentioned. I've never listened to a note of their music either.

That's amazing

Bazooka

Quote from: Chedney Honks on April 18, 2021, 09:49:31 AM
Animal Collective

I'm Triggered!! I actually agree, they only get away with it by being so innovative. 

non capisco

Quote from: Vitalstatistix on April 18, 2021, 08:51:47 PM
I'm convinced Gareth Liddiard would be a revered household name in the same ballpark as someone like Nick Cave if he wasn't so bad at naming his bands* and, indeed, didn't have such an off-putting actual real name. Still a bloody genius in my house though.

*The Drones; Tropical Fuck Storm

He also produced the album 'Rest In Piss' by Bat Piss.