Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:07:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Del Bear

Started by JesusAndYourBush, April 18, 2021, 01:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Doesn't even look like Del Boy.

JamesTC

Video Game Fan 2000

Video Game Fan 2000

You'll have an increasingly hard time justifying your on going financial enabling of BEAR E. SMITH to your friends-uh! available For only £25 a month for the rest of your entire life.

Blue Jam

Quote from: bgmnts on April 18, 2021, 01:32:41 PM
Made by a German toy manufacturer. The fucking shame.

The same German toy manufacturer who made the Duke Of Deadinburgh commemorative Bear of Death, but that's a bit more apt.

Glebe

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 18, 2021, 02:52:19 PM
The same German toy manufacturer who made the Duke Of Deadinburgh commemorative Bear of Death, but that's a bit more apt.

Fucking hell it's real!

£250! Plus postage! Imagine the amount of smack you could buy to make ole Phil proud with instead!

idunnosomename

It is worth saying these articulated Steiff bears are fuckin expensive anyway.

Theres a paddington one the same height (although bigger overall) and thats £325. The regular ones are over £100

Video Game Fan 2000

Solid "kill me" expression on the Deadinburgh bear's face.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: idunnosomename on April 18, 2021, 03:02:33 PM
It is worth saying these articulated Steiff bears are fuckin expensive anyway.

Theres a paddington one the same height (although bigger overall) and thats £325. The regular ones are over £100

I won an articulated bear of probably greater quality (thanks to it actually being made for a child's fumblesome fingers) at a carnival in Brighton in 2003. It only cost me £2 to enter the game and all I had to do was summon my Grand Theft Auto experience to shoot a duck in the face. A fond memory when contrasted with the solmen bloodhound-like grimace one doubtlessly experiences when unwrapping the cardboard casket a fat bloke in a van delivers to your doorstep after ordering a Steiff bear. The Psycho stinger sound forking through your brain as you glance at the invoice while retrieving dear old PhilBear out of his burial shroud of bubblewrap. His arm pops loose when you try to twist it upward for a comedy salute, as Phil would've wanted. You can't go home again.

Blue Jam

Quote from: H-O-W-L on April 18, 2021, 03:00:38 PM
Fucking hell it's real!

£250! Plus postage! Imagine the amount of smack you could buy to make ole Phil proud with instead!

This has been discussed in the Prince Philip threads. They were selling a 100th birthday bear, presumably they have now chucked all of those on a big bonfire.

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,85217.msg4479497.html#msg4479497

Link is now dead as the Duke.

The worst thing for me is the fact that they offer payment plans. Imagine living beyond your means and taking on a bit of debt for this. A fucking teddy bear made in honour of some bloke you probably never met and even if you did he probably racially abused you.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 18, 2021, 03:15:58 PM
This has been discussed in the Prince Phillip threads. They were selling a 100th birthday bear, presumably they have now chucked them all on a big bonfire.

They've rebadged it you fool[nb]and knocked £50 off[/nb]

Blue Jam

They've also dipped it in dye. Bears being made a bit darker, not what Phil would have wanted.

Only pic of the original I could find, from Twitter:

It was a different bear, but they were available for-pre-order, so I guess they weren't going to start manufacturing these until Phil's big day arrived.

I still like to picture a load of expensive sad teddy bears on a bonfire though. Bit of Derke sad piano.

Mr Farenheit

Quote from: H-O-W-L on April 18, 2021, 03:00:38 PM
Fucking hell it's real!

Cheaper than the Del Bear one but I suppose he's naked apart from an armband and a medallion.

Blue Jam

https://www.worldofbears.com/

I am disappointed that this URL does not take you to the website of a gay club.

gib

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on April 18, 2021, 02:31:37 PM
Doesn't even look like Del Boy.

Del Boy fails through the bear.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 18, 2021, 03:20:40 PM
They've also dipped it in dye. Bears being made a bit darker, not what Phil would have wanted.

Also the new one seems to have a bit of gestapo about it; black, gold just missing the red.

JamesTC

Video Game Fan 2000

Granduck
Monkey Pearce
Cassantsnestdra

Fambo Number Mive

Video Game Fan 2000

All gone for a pint at the Person's Head.

Glebe

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on April 18, 2021, 02:20:55 PM
This is incredible.  I actually speechless. £275?!
Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on April 18, 2021, 02:22:29 PM
I presume people mainly buy these hoping they will go up in value.

It's a Steiff!...  If you buy one and present it on Antiques Roadshow in 50-100 years when it's all threadbare some posh bloke will point out the button in the ear then say something about 'provenance' and tell you it's worth £
Spoiler alert
maybe thousands, or maybe fuck all!
[close]

An tSaoi

Quote from: idunnosomename on April 18, 2021, 03:02:33 PM

Yes, the price is quite normal for a Steiff collector's edition. They're the Swarovski of teddies.

The absolute cheapest new Steiff you could buy is around 50 quid, but those are "mini" bears, about 10 cm. They do some cheaper ones for babies, the "My First Steiff" range, which only set you back around 35 quid, but they don't look like the proper ones. It's like drugs, they start you off on the cheap stuff. That said, you can get Marty McFly and Doc Brown together for just 200. Cushty.

My mother's into teddies, so I know all this shit.

An tSaoi

Deso:

Oi, what film is Shrek from? Oh yeah, he's known from the "Shrek" films!

Such fun!

Glebe

Feel like I've just made several fairly large strides down the road to madness with this.

An tSaoi

FUCKING BLAMSPHEMY

JamesTC

An tSaoi

From Goonies I think. Or maybe Ghostbusters.