Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:35:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Compulsory patriotism

Started by holyzombiejesus, April 18, 2021, 09:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllisonSays

Apparently in France in the '90s it was considered really chic among teenagers to have, like, Union Jack doc martens and that. Presumably some kind of weird extrusion of Cool Britannia. Always makes me laugh. I would imagine some of the cultural cachet has dissipated now in a cloud of Nigel Farage's cig-smoke.

El Unicornio, mang

Same thing with young Americans in the 80s, there's always a Union Jack hanging up in their bedroom somewhere.

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on April 22, 2021, 02:28:18 PM
Same thing with young Americans in the 80s, there's always a Union Jack hanging up in their bedroom somewhere.

Ferris

Quote from: Paul Calf on April 22, 2021, 12:29:54 PM
Do people do the accent when they talk to you? There's a certain type of person who can't resist saying the name of the city 'Brimingham' in a shite hammy Brum accent.

Yes. Usually a 80/20 split: "you don't have the accent"/"Burrrrrminguam!"

If the latter, bemused silence until they acknowledge their faux pas and move on.

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on April 22, 2021, 12:33:08 PM
hehe I know your pain; but wait a minute I thought you were from the Black Country?

Yeah but no one knows where that is, and I don't have the identitarian desire to distinguish between the two. If someone asks "oh where abouts?" I'll clarify but usually won't bother.

Ferris

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on April 22, 2021, 02:28:18 PM

What other nations have that kind of global cultural cache? You don't see a lot of Burundian flags doing the rounds.

The US I suppose?

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 22, 2021, 03:11:49 PM
What other nations have that kind of global cultural cache? You don't see a lot of Burundian flags doing the rounds.

The US I suppose?

Japan, Brasil, Jamaica

There is something about the Union Jack and the Star Spangled Banner in that they are in a way meant to be anti-nationalist flags representing unions (hence why most racists prefer either the English flag or the Confederate)

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on April 22, 2021, 01:12:31 PM
There seems to be a bit of collective amnesia out there around the fact things like this have happened before; Cool Britannia was flag crazy and obviously the obsession with the proms; someone mentioned the who and all that 60s and 70s flaggery.

Nope. No amnesia here. Hated it all.

QuoteNo-one thought Damon Albarn was delivering proto-facism to the masses.

'No-one' huh? Why do you like to ascribe your beliefs to everyone else?

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on April 22, 2021, 12:33:08 PM
but wait a minute I thought you were from the Black Country?

Black Sabbath Country.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 22, 2021, 03:10:11 PM
Yeah but no one knows where that is, and I don't have the identitarian desire to distinguish between the two. If someone asks "oh where abouts?" I'll clarify but usually won't bother.

Usually assuming a Birmingham heritage on Black Country folk does not go down well.  Though I appreciate how you are tipto-ning[nb]this is bad I can only apologise[/nb] around this.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on April 22, 2021, 03:17:13 PM
Nope. No amnesia here. Hated it all.

'No-one' huh? Why do you like to ascribe your beliefs to everyone else?

Sorry didn't realise I was interchangeably speaking directly to you and to everyone else at the same time.  Do you think sometimes you might be prone to overreacting somewhat.

earl_sleek

Actually I and many people recognised 'Country House' for the ethno-nationalist call to arms it truly was.

holyzombiejesus

You can't compare Albarn and Co's prancing with what's going on at the moment.

TrenterPercenter

He quite clearly stated "there's no other way" and "get out of cities" I mean what more evidence do you want ShEePle

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on April 22, 2021, 03:22:03 PM
Sorry didn't realise I was interchangeably speaking directly to you and to everyone else at the same time.  Do you think sometimes you might be prone to overreacting somewhat.

You said:

No-one thought Damon Albarn was delivering proto-facism to the masses.

I happen to think Damon Albarn is a cunt and that 'Cool Britannia' was proto-fascism for the masses.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on April 22, 2021, 03:29:00 PM

No; I think you might be taking my metaphor on a comedy forum in an attempt represent the banality of going OTT on flags and fascism a bit too literally.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on April 22, 2021, 03:30:58 PM
I happen to think Damon Albarn is a cunt and that 'Cool Britannia' was proto-fascism for the masses.

And you are very much welcome to have that view and say it dear lad; shall I put the kettle on and you can tell us all about it?

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on April 22, 2021, 03:29:00 PM
Quote from: Johnny Yesno on April 22, 2021, 03:30:58 PM

Perhaps you two should have a chat

jobotic

Be great if we could go back to white blokes with guitars running everything instead of your Stormies.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on April 22, 2021, 03:31:57 PM
And you are very much welcome to have that view and say it dear lad; say I put the kettle on and you can tell us all about it?

Not 'no-one', then. Someone. Someone here.

Cool Britannia was one of the jemmies used to widen the crack to let far right nationalism in. And Damon Albarn is just clearly a cunt.

TrenterPercenter

For the record I hated all the Brit Pop shittery as well and found it all very white but it was supported by the majority of my contemporaries who were very or at least thought of themselves to be very right on.

Kankurette

I think there is going to be a bit of a boom in flaggery on things post-Brexit whilst the country tries to re-identify itself as independent.  This doesn't necessarily map to nationalism en-masse but for tourism and international trade purposes it could be good in some ways. 

There seems to be a bit of collective amnesia out there around the fact things like this have happened before; Cool Britannia was flag crazy and obviously the obsession with the proms; someone mentioned the who and all that 60s and 70s flaggery.  No-one thought Damon Albarn was delivering proto-facism to the masses. 

Some people just want simple things to feel proud about; often these are people that haven't got other securities so they seek big banner or purpose made things; lots of people live vicariously through the royal family for instance as a guide for their own family problems; they provide consistency to those that may not have had it.  It's incredibly unhealthy and superficial but it's something in absence of other things.  Of there is a nationalist side of things that is were the real problem lies (Orwell btw defined patriotism and nationalism as different things with nationalism the hatred of other countries and patriotism the love ones own country - sorry this might have already been said)
Not at the time  - Neil Kulkarni being a notable exception - but in hindsight a lot of people have been very critical of Britpop and all the patriotism/flag waving/Cool Britannia stuff.

I like some of the music but the whole 'movement' hasn't aged well. I was always into the weirder stuff like Mansun/SFA/Space.

And tbh I have far more hatred for twats like Rees-Mogg and Johnson than I do for those men in the photo. Actually, have you seen the IDLES thread? There's an interesting discussion in there about punching up, not down, and why Model Village is cack.

badaids

Quote from: AllisonSays on April 22, 2021, 02:26:45 PM
Apparently in France in the '90s it was considered really chic among teenagers to have, like, Union Jack doc martens and that. Presumably some kind of weird extrusion of Cool Britannia. Always makes me laugh. I would imagine some of the cultural cachet has dissipated now in a cloud of Nigel Farage's cig-smoke.

The French still wear Union Jack pictures or patches on everything: t-shirts, coats, bags. It's rampant everywhere. They just think it looks cool I guess, like some people wear confederate flag patches without knowing or thinking about what it might mean. Could you imagine if random brits went around just wearing the french tricolore?

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on April 22, 2021, 03:35:24 PM
it was supported by the majority of my contemporaries who were very or at least thought of themselves to be very right on.

They're the so-called 'centrists' who ended up letting us down. I know some of them too.

EOLAN

During GAA hurling matches with my county Cork, it would be common to see large versions of the Battle Flag of Virginia, Soviet Union and/or China and the Japanese Imperial flag.

Always a couple of big Palestine flags for Dublin football matches too.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on April 22, 2021, 12:31:37 PM
I love the left; the actual left; want to talk about what that is anytime? Or are you still busy sharing Starmer memes and hanging out with middle class art students on twitter?

I'd love to actually talk about some leftwing politics.........pie and a pint?

sure, I don't use twitter and I don't like people, so your first jab is invalid. The last line is more to my taste.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Kankurette on April 22, 2021, 03:35:39 PM
Not at the time  - but in hindsight a lot of people have been very critical of Britpop and all the patriotism/flag waving/Cool Britannia stuff.

There were a lot of people that bought into it; I don't think it is easy to place all of these as conscious centrists or proto-fascists; the main bulk of them were middle class kids looking for an identity in my experience.  It was supposed to be edgy wasn't it but it was basically a load rich white men with guitars singing angsty love songs (god I had some arguments with people then about this).  The same people protested the Iraq War.

btw hindsight can get in the bin the trick is to have foresight and be reasonable with it.

QuoteMansun/SFA/Space.
. Still all terribly white to my ears but I think people can like these bands and enjoy the music etc....even Damon Himmler AutoBahn I don't think this was proto-fascism it, as per usual, imo it's just standard cultural laziness on the part of the public and bread and circuses for the people like Blair that used them.

QuoteAnd tbh I have far more hatred for twats like Rees-Mogg and Johnson than I do for those men in the photo. Actually, have you seen the IDLES thread? There's an interesting discussion in there about punching up, not down, and why Model Village is cack

Not seen the thread but might give it a visit ta : )

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 22, 2021, 04:08:51 PM
sure, I don't use twitter and I don't like people, so your first jab is invalid. The last line is more to my taste.

Oh you don't like people, really? I never would have guessed.

As long as your pie has BRITISH BEEF in it then that is fine by me pig.

BlodwynPig

Hyde: Love it when my jests get taken as canon.

Jekyll: Any pie you like

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 22, 2021, 04:13:59 PM
Hyde: Love it when my jests get taken as canon.

Enjoy; I remember the good old days of taunting TFM and yer Milvertons; don't think I have forgotten mon frere.